Register now to get rid of these ads!

Memphis Fuel & Gas Nostalgia Drags & Car Show ... May 17 & 18, 2013

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toby Denham, Jan 30, 2013.

1. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

Atlanta Speed Shop will be in Memphis, TN April 8th-12th to promote the MEMPHIS FUEL & GAS DRAGS & CAR SHOW event. Fliers will be distributed and posters hung in all surrounding areas within a 25 mile radius of the Memphis International Raceway.<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    If you would like to help spread the word about the Memphis race & car show that would be great! Send us your address and we will send you some flyers to share.
    <o:p></o:p>
    COME MEET US We will be at Memphis International Raceway Thursday night April 11, 2013 for Test & Tune and Friday April 12, 2013 for Super Chevy See www.atlanta10000.com for more info on Memphis & Atlanta Races <o:p></o:p>

2. Countdown to the ..............

MEMPHIS FUEL & GAS NOSTAGIA DRAGS

<iframe src="http://free.timeanddate.com/countdown/i3llnes8/n25/cf12/cm0/cu4/ct0/cs0/ca0/co0/cr0/ss0/cac900/cpc000/pcfff/tcfff/fs100/szw1659/szh700/iso2013-05-17T09:00:00" frameborder="0" width="563" height="148"></iframe>

Let's see a show of hands of all the HAMBERS who are still planning to attend. There's going to be a meet & greet HAMB members tent so we can escape the heat! We can also use it to get out of the sun, too!
    :rolleyes::D:D:D

COME ON GUYS & GALS! Let's get together and hang out! This thing is goin' to be a gas!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  3. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

I'll probably make an appearance sometime that weekend. Not sure what day yet, because I've got a triathlon that same weekend.

4. Over the next few days, I'm going to be posting photos of cars that will be running at this event. If anyone of you have photos of cars that will be racing at Memphis on the 17th and 18th, by all means, post 'em here.

This is grass roots racing like everyone wishes it to be. It takes a huge effort to make an event like this happen. In order to assure that there will be future events like this, it needs support. That means participating in some way, either by showing up to race or showing up to spectate. In other words, to encourage there being more parties, we all got to go to the parties!

C'mon guys and gals. If you're a serious hot rod or drag racing person, get yer a** to the track! :)

5. Julius Hughes

Julius Hughes

Alright, here is a list of the cars that are commited to coming.

AA/ Fuel Altereds:

Ron Hope in Rat Trap
    Kyle hough in Nanook

Nostalgia Top Fuel:

Jim Young in Crop Duster ( 2013 March Meet Champ)
    Howard Haight in Mr. Boston
    Randy Bridges in Hendrick's Old Style
    David Pace in Backyard Guys
    Julius Hughes in Zot VI

Gasser Shootout:

Geezer Gassers- Chuck Lipka "41 Willys
    Randy Addington- 2 '37 Chevys
    Dennis Taylor - '41 Wyllis
    Gene Brigance- '33 Willys
    Ken Holmes- '41 Willys

Nostalgia Super Stock:

I don't have a list but it appears there may be 24 to 32 cars. I will work on a list of names. We are paying $1500 to win if we get 32 cars.

Also working on a list of the other gassers that are coming to run in Nostalgia Gas. It will be 6 seperate Heads Up classes.

6. Julius Hughes

Julius Hughes

Also on Friday Night at 7:30 or 8:00 pm we have Grudge matches lined up.

Julius Hughes vs. Howard Haight- Nostalgia Top Fuel
    Chuck Lipka Vs. Randy Addington - Gassers
    Barry Camp Vs. ? - Nostalgia Super Stock

We are working on more. I will post again.

7. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

8. kennb

kennb

Ok that's cool. But what's going on in Atlanta on May 11. Isn't it Gear jam. I've never been to this. what will the turn comparison be to these two evens. I thought that Gear Jam was nostalgic racing as well. Ken

9. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

Basically the same.......different venues/tracks and different promoters.

10. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

Ill be there Saturday in the Model A. Cant Wait!

[​IMG]

11. Here's a couple of shots of Randy Bridges in Joe Hendricks' "Old Style" NTF car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

I will be there if at all possible. Daughter graduates the 17th - so it may be delayed. Be nice to race somewhere close( as inwithin a 125 miles of Houston MS) and where the cars are like they should be .If nothing else Ill drive the old 51 tow truck. As luck would have it all three of my cars or apart and down. But it will be nice to be close- I uually have to go to bowling green to get real racing.
    Will do all i can to help in this area of the world -if someone willsend flyers etc -ill see that they get put out.
    cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Julius Hughes

Julius Hughes

The Gear Jam event is a large swap meet and a vintage drag race. Our event is a large drag race with Nitro cars and a smaller swap meet. Both events have car shows. The drag racing at the Gear Jam is supposed to be vintage cars as opposed to Nostalgia cars. Not sure how that will work out but its a good concept if all the cars can pass Tech.
    If you read the previous post you can see some of the cars that are coming to Memphis. Hope you can make it to Memphis!

Thanks, Julius

14. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

Please send your mailing address to [email protected] so we can send you some fliers to give out

15. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Hey Julius--The Gear Jam is for vintage STYLE cars... not "vintage cars as opposed to Nostalgia cars."
    We are open to modern built cars with a vintage style--My rules are posted at www.gearjamdrags.com, and are pretty clear:
    "...should be built to late-‘60s or earlier appearance. We want period looking cars… these can be restored original race cars, new builds, old unrestored cars fresh from the barn."

That means no Super Comp or Super Gas cars, no wings or chin spoilers on "gassers," no throttle stops, delay boxes, etc. etc.

I've gotten emails from two people today worried that they're going to come out and not be allowed to run because their cars aren't original survivors... I thought that was odd, but one of them worded his note nearly exactly the way you did here, so I guess I know where he got that idea.

As for the cars "passing tech," they didn't seem to have a problem passing tech at your event there last fall, so I'm not sure why you would think they'll have a problem passing at my event next month... since it's the same NHRA-owned facility, with the same tech crew, for the same kinds of cars. If an owner has a question about whether their car will pass tech, they can call me or the Atlanta Dragway and ask for some specifics.

If you need any more clarification as to what, exactly, The Gear Jam is, please feel free to send me a PM so I can take care of it privately, rather than having to correct it publicly after the fact. As a promoter, I'm sure you know it's very hard to put the Gennie back in the bottle once some bad information gets out there.

Thanks,
    Brad Ocock
    The Gear Jam
    NE Georgia Swap Meet

16. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

RACING AT THE

MEMPHIS FUEL & GAS DRAGS & CAR SHOW

MAY 17 &18, 2013

KYLE HOUGH in NANOOK AA/FA

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  17. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

RACING AT THE

MEMPHIS FUEL & GAS DRAGA & CAR SHOW

MAY 17 & 18, 2013

RON HOPE in RAT TRAP AA/FA

[​IMG]

18. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

19. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

Frank Ousley's Crop Duster NTF Driver Jim Young

2013 March Meet Champ

Will Be Racing at Memphis Fuel & Gas Drags & Car Show 17 & 18, 2013

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  20. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

Kevin Stith (left) congratulates &#8220;Crop Duster&#8221; owner Frank Ousley ...

[​IMG]

21. Here are some photos of the Geezer Gasser cars that will be at the Memphis meet. These were sent by Martin Libhart, Associate Publisher & Director of Photography for Nostalgia Drag World magazine .......

One of two cars owned by HAMB member Chuck Lipka and his wife Marcella. This one is a '41 Willys runnin' a blown Olds ....

[​IMG]

A blown & injected Chevy big block powered '33 Willys Coupe, owned by Gene Brigance .....

[​IMG]

Two '37 Chevy Coupes campaigned by Randy Addington ......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The McLaughlin & Holmes '41 Willys, owned by Ken Holmes & Mike McLaughlin, powered by a blown and injected small block Chevy .....

[​IMG]

Another '41 Willys. This one, owned by Dennis Taylor, sports a Hilborn injected 392 Chrysler Hemi.

[​IMG]

More to come ...........

22. Julius Hughes

Julius Hughes

We have a large contingent of Super Stock cars coming to Memphis. We are compiling pictures of them now. A lot of really cool 8 and 9 second cars will be there. Chevys, Fords, and Chryslers. A few other brands as well. Possibly 30 plus cars. All Nostalgia Super Stock legal from 1972 and older. Special thanks to Barry Camp and Jimmy Ray for their help and to all the cars owners and drivers who are attending.

Thanks,
    Julius Hughes

23. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

SOME NSS RACERS YOU WILL SEE

The wheel standing, gear jamming, dual quad, old school, hemi, rat, wedge, tri-power, tunnel port machines, are coming in from Texas, Mississippi, Georgia, Kentucky, Missouri, Indiana, and Illinois

Dave Isom 65 Plymouth Belvedere<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Doug Duell 64 Plymouth Dragonwagn<o:p></o:p>
    Terry Lampier 64 Plymouth Fury Glory Daze<o:p></o:p>
    Gary Stone 66 Chevelle<o:p></o:p>
    Barry Camp 66 Chevy Biscayne When Pigs Fly<o:p></o:p>
    Dave Schultz 63 Plymouth Belvedere Vitamin C<o:p></o:p>
    Dallas Schultz 65 Dodge Coronet Big Red Ram<o:p></o:p>

24. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

MORE NSS RACERS YOU WILL SEE

Michael Sanders Hustlin' Hoosier 68 Plymouth Hemi Cuda 655 cubes of butt ugly FAST Hemi!
    Jim Netherland Mad Torquer 67 Buick Grand Sport 2012 NMCA NSS Champion
    Brent Wheeler 66 Coronet
    Ted Vice 66 Galaxie 500
    Gabe Ray Grim Reaper 64 Chevelle Wagon
    Josh James 67 Malibu
    James Rivers 66 Chevelle
    Rick Campbell 66 Satellite
    D.W. Hopkins 64 Thunderbolt
    Ed Becker 65 Belvedere

25. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

AND SOME MORE NSS RACERS YOU WILL SEE

T D Holland 60 AMX
    Don Cossey 64 Plymouth Sport Fury Max Wedge
    Jack Presgrove 63 Galaxie 500
    Jimmy Ray 65 Chevy Mallibu SS Tennessee Flash
    Al Wilson 60 Plymouth Long Ram
    Damon Kuhn 60 Plymouth Fudgly

26. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

EVEN MORE NSS RACERS THAT WILL BE THERE

Russ Kaurez 63Plymouth Fury<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Jerry Miles 66 Belvedere<o:p></o:p>
    Mike Moss 65 Belvedere<o:p></o:p>
    Tommy Sedlock 64 Plymouth Sport Fury Wedgehog<o:p></o:p>
    Donnie Wilson 65 Plymouth Max Wedge<o:p></o:p>
    Dough Watkins 67 Chevelle<o:p></o:p>

Who else is coming? Let's make this the best race of the year!

And, as an added bonus....free BBQ dinner for all Nostalgia Super Stockers Friday night

27. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

Cant explain how excited I am about this! We have a front engine dragster thats not quite finished but we will be in the car show! We cant freakin' wait!!!

28. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

Bring out you CAR TO SHOW in the Car Show or on Hot Rod Row and check out the SWAP MEET to trade
    MEMPHIS FUEL & GAS DRAGS & CAR SHOW WILL HAVE IT ALL

29. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

SATURDAY SCHEDULE CHANGE
    SATURDAY QUALIFYING HAD BEEN MOVED
    FROM 11:00 A.M. TO 12:00 NOON >
    NO CHANGES ON FRIDAY<o:p></o:p>
    THE NEW SCHEDULE WILL BE POSTED ON www.atlanta10000.com by Mon May 6<SUP>th</SUP>[/CENTER]

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  30. Julius Hughes

Julius Hughes

The new Saturday Schedule is posted on the website. We moved the start of Nostalgia qualifying back one hour to 12 noon. We moved the Bracket racing Time trials to 1,3, and 5. The bracket race is closer to its normal 4-10 time slot now. The Nostalgia program should still be done by 9 pm and the bracket race will finish after that. The Nitro cars and Gasser Shootout will run at 4 pm and 8 pm.

Sorry for the confusion. We covered all this in the planning stages and it wasn't thought to be a problem but that changed as the race grew closer. The Nostalgia racing will be between 12 noon and 9 pm instead of 11 am and 9 pm so it is a minor adjustment that will improve the Bracket racie.

Thanks,
    Julius