Register now to get rid of these ads!

How To Build My 63&1/2 Galaxie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spork!, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Spork!

Spork!

I just picked up a '63&1/2 Galaxie. I've always liked these cars and ran across a great deal on one. It is a stripped roller but with tons of extra parts, complete XL interior, two sets of stainless trim, glass, doors, etc.

It also has a complete new frame/roller chassis. Frame is newly painted, 9" rear, new rear springs, new front police package springs with extra set of coils, new power steering, brand new built 390 (450HP) and 4 speed.

I'm trying to decide what style to build the car. I kind of like the idea of a pro touring type car with resto-mod styling but also like the FX style drag car look or could go real radical with a straight axle gasser style. A Dan Gurney style cup car (without numbers/graphics) would be cool too.

Here is a picture of an extreme gasser look, more of a 70's street freak car. I'm a 70's guy (graduated in '74) so I like that look although this sits a little too high for me. Plus, I wonder about the driveability of a car like this (handling, braking, etc).

Attached Files:

2. Spork!

Spork!

I really like this car but would like a bigger back tire.

Attached Files:

3. Spork!

Spork!

These are cool too.

Attached Files:

4. Spork!

Spork!

Like this but in plane white?

Attached Files:

5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Have you looked at Stacked65's build?

6. Spork!

Spork!

Here is the roller body.

Attached Files:

7. Spork!

Spork!

Chassis.

All new suspension with drum brakes. No matter what style I go I'll convert to disks. If I go straight axle I'll probably use the frame that the car sits on now and sell this chassis or keep it in case I ever want to go back to more stock style car.

Attached Files:

8. indyjps

indyjps

These cars need as much rear tire as will fit, then more, minitub it if you have to. Need to be leve or a slight rake, no taildragger unless you want a custom. What's your coice for color?

9. Spork!

Spork!

Yes, cool fun car. I want a little more comfort though. I want to keep the XL interior (buckets with console, a/c, etc).

I want to make this very drivable. My '29 A sedan is a rough riding, hot, loud, hard to see out of, hot rod! Not great for long trips.

These kind of cars (Galaxies, Sport Furys, Impalas, etc) were the predecessors to the late 60's early 70's muscle cars and they became popular because they were comfortable but still fast.

10. Spork!

Spork!

I'm not a custom guy so no tail draggers for me. I'm not opposed to mini tubbing it but don't want to go full tub or back half it or anything like that. Definitely want a rake to it.

If I went gasser/street freak I'd paint it red and call it "Cherry Bomb" with a cartoon exploding fire cracker on the side. Maybe red plexiglass side windows, roll bar, etc.

It's white now so I'm kind of inclined to stay white. The interior is blue so it goes with white okay. These cars look really good in black too but black can be a pain and I live on a dirt road.:eek:

11. 63comet

63comet

I'm an Andy Griffin fan.

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, that eliminates the drag look, doesn't it.

13. Spork!

Spork!

Well, I'm not building a show car so it doesn't have to be period perfect. Could still have a race car look with a full interior. The motor is pretty healthy and with a 4.10 gear it should go pretty good, especially with a mini-tub and some huge meats in the back.:)

14. metalman

metalman

Great car.
    I'd have to tell you kiss (keep it simple). When you decribe what your wanting it sound like Ford designed it. IMHO Ford did this one right, lots of style, especially with the buckets, lots of torque for "spirited" driving but still comfort with a/c, power steering ect.
    Just build it basically stock, add some period correct wheels (Cragers or grey spoke torque thrusts, maybe chrome reverse) with as big a tire you can fit in the back and start driving the wheel off it.
    The straight axle thing or race car theme confict with what you say you want the car for. Not to mention the car's got a heck of a head start, are you going to go backward in the build and change course?
    What ever you do please don't start mixing styles, I hate it when you can't tell what the style is.

15. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

those are nice cars---you said nice driver with air ---go for it...

16. id go for a street driveable but authentic gssser..type look...gold lettering...maybe heavy metalflake..vintage speed part logos...something quick but not ridiculous....run highway gears so fouls take on local trips etc..

17. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

Just my .02 cents there Spork 'ol buddy...

Attached Files:

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well put, Most of the hot 63-1/2 big Fords around here were hard runners not far removed from stock but having "that" performance look. The "older" guys (30 year olds with good jobs) were the ones who had them around here. The 64's on the other hand were plush granny cars but oh so plush.

I can't see screwing up the road handling ability of a cool model of car that is getting a bit hard to find to give it a freaking "gasser" look with a straight axle that most likely would turn it into a drive it three times a year for less than 50 miles one way and stick it back in the garage because it's such a pain in the butt to deal with even though the mouthbreathing rasslin fans would love it.

19. suede shoe

suede shoe

I have to say I really like the black one, first one in post #3. My brother had one back in the late 60's that looked like it, only it was blue. I would also like that Ford neon sign hanging on the building.

20. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You already have a complete chassis, no way I would build an axle car out of that one. Wimbledon white or Ice Blue. Probably be an easy resale too. Big Fords with round tail lights rock. :D

21. rld14

rld14

Hmmm...

Hot 390, 4-speed, and I think that a SLIGHT lowering on some supremes with 1" whitewall bias plys would look great.

I'd get a period correct under dash Ford air conditioner and be happy. That's assuming that I were building the car to get driven a lot. My definition of driven a lot is 10k miles a year.

A straight axle car is cool; to haul to the drag strip or take to the local cruise night, not to spend a couple of hours in. Huge back tires look awesome, until you have to spend 2 hours on the Interstate.

I'd love to take my 54 Ford and convert it to a 2 door and run skinny halibrands on the front, cheaters on reverse chrome wheels on the back, jacked up like a gasser with a straight front axle and throw a racing seat in it.

Right up until the point where I've got 3 passengers and we're going into Manhattan for dinner and I'm sitting in bumper to bumper traffic on the west side highway.

So, how are you going to actually use the car?

22. indyjps

indyjps

This is the stance I would go for, with another 1-2 inches of rear tire. If you want whels other than steelies, use some thing period correct to 63-65, maybe black rear steel with an alum or mag front, not too skinny because the front wheelwells are huge. Either way you've got a great start with a solid car.

Attached Files:

23. slowmotion

slowmotion

Those 63's need very little to kick them up into the 'hot' catagory. Ford nailed it outa the gate on that one. Leave the gasser idea's for something else. Make it a 'hot street' themed ride, and enjoy it everyday. Like everything else, tires, wheels, & stance are the biggest thing to make or break the impact factor. It'd be pretty hard to screw that one up, you'd have to work at it to do so. Sweet ride!

24. R Pope

R Pope

They were built to be cruisers, why mess with perfection? Torino spindles and disc brakes lower the front just a bit, some period wheels and tires and drive it! 'Course, a 427 would be nice......

25. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

Check out my buddy's web site. WWW.MIKESCLASSICCARS.NET He specializes in restoring big block early Galaxies, rare high end stuff, but its interesting to look at.

26. DeepRoots

DeepRoots

White is classic for sure. I have to admit, a 63.5 Galaxie shows off it's extensive trim when the car is black. Eventually I'll get bored with mine and paint it black.

here is mine just for inspiration:

[​IMG]

With the not Hamb friendly engine:
    [​IMG]

Riding around doing a 5-100mph run. Only revving it up to 4,000 as the road isn't good enough to provide traction at any higher speed. On a well prepped surface I can run up to 6500-7000rpms. Heavy fella moves pretty well.
    http://s68.photobucket.com/user/DeepRootsNursery/media/MVI_0985_zps793b6235.mp4.html

Good luck, you'll love the car.
    Drew

27. We all have GREAT Taste....Don't We! Here is mine.....

Murph:cool:

Attached Files:

28. To me, thats the best looking Ford made!! And is on my shopping list. The first picture "Extreme Gasser", Why oh why? Whatever did that car do to deserve this? All the rest, I like a lot! (I like Gassers but come on)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  29. T, ... arent we all?

OP, you are doing that car a disservice if a teardrop hood is not in your plans ... go thunderbolt and screw comfort and reliability .... you can always drive the wife's mini-van. Lol

30. suede shoe

suede shoe

I have always liked the factory sleeper look, with a slight "attitude" lift.

Attached Files: