Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New Shop Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE-SYNDICATE, Mar 29, 2010.

1. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Nice! Truck looks killer!

2. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

I think your truck sits really close to mine in the front. If anything the Posies will lift it up maybe an inch? But they have settled a touch after putting miles on the new set-up so it's hard to tell exactly. I love the Fleetside Bed!!! I would put one on in a hot second if I could find one in good shape.

Cheers,

RM

3. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Wow, how did I miss THIS thread all this time? HAMB'er "Dubie" was kind enough to post a link to it on that OTHER old truck website to help me out.

Just read through the whole thing today and LOVE everything about it. You're a fast working dude, Rob.

I hope you don't mind my asking some questions:

Do you know of the kit that Performamce Online offers for; I think, about $1200 for lowering multi leaf packs front & rear, plus sway bars & shocks front & rear? This includes all hardware.

How does that strike you vs. what you've got invested into your suspension?

Would you recommend instead to go with separate components? Sid's axle, Posie's SuperSliders (is that what you have now with the Teflon buttons?) plus sway bars & shocks from....who?

Love your truck man. It's EXACTLY what I'd like to do to mine. Mine's a '55.2 big window with overly cammed 283/350TH & a Camaro 10 bolt. Ive got it running great, all electrical gremlins worked out (tho not rewired-someday) and 15x7 Torque Thrust wannabe's from back in the day. Thanks for any help, Dan

4. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Hey Dan!

Thanks for the kind words! I'll look into the kit you mention above. I loved the truck when I first rolled it out with the Mono-Leafs but as I noted in the thread the ride was a bit rough for our Sonoma County roads. I can say with 100% confidence that those Posies springs are the cat's meow! Big difference. Definitely go with Sid's axle and you might have him do the steering arms at the same time. The sway bar for the front was a little tricky. Typical in that it didn't fit for shit.... But after some noodling I fabbed up what I needed to git'r done. I put the rear one on as well but I'm not sure what difference it makes? I thought I read somewhere that you needed the rear if you were planning on one for the front? Safety? Not sure.

Bottom line is that you'll end up with a truck that drives great and there's no need for a Camaro clip!

I'll look into the spring kit you mentioned.

Cheers,

Robert M.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Thanks for responding Robert. I've heard only good things about Sid's axles and now about Posie's. Yes, I'd definitely buy the other modified components from Sid's as well.

I've got to sharpen up my pencil and break open my piggy bank to buy all this stuff at one time but I think I'm really gonna love staying with the original axle

6. 1959apache

1959apache

I bought my stuff from Sid's when my front end exploded in the driveway last year. He is a good guy and really knowledgeable, he got my stuff out to me pronto too. I am running a stock front axle with stock springs, it seems a little lower than normal ride height, I wouldn't mind taking a leaf or two out of the front though.

7. dubie

dubie

Hey Robert, how did you find that Rebel wiring kit to install? I've got one on the way to me right now and will be digging into it next weekend.

Didn't I tell you this was one of the best build threads Dan? I've gone through the pages of this build a half dozen times.

8. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Awesome!

The Rebel kit is almost free IMO. I can't believe they turn out such an awesome product for so cheap. I've installed Ron Francis, Painless, and now the Rebel Kit. They are all super cool, but the Rebel kit is a cinch and works perfect.

~RWM

9. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Dan, My pleasure. I'm just stoked that I can provide good info to folks trying to do the same thing. Sharing this shit is what it's all about. I just wish I had more guys local to work on projects with!

Make sure you go thru to process of switching out the drag link to a 3-piece unit and reversing the taper in that upper steering arm. That is the most important thing on the front end geometry. Without that there's all kinds of shit to go wrong... "Bump Steer" Trust me, my '59 truck that I drove in High School was a Fuck'n nightmare!!!!

~RWM

10. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Hi Doob,
    Yup, a fun thread to read and it's got me worked up to get off my sofa and do more on my truck. As I type this I'm figuring if I can get off early enough today to run out to OC to the Truck Shop for a few things I need to button up the work I started last weekend?

I'm still not clear on the recommendation for shocks though? Cool as things called "Nitro Slammers" sounds, I also don't wanna have a harsh ride. It's gonna be a cruiser, so maybe plain vanilla Monroe-Matics or something is indicated? What ateyouusing?

11. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

I've got form of Nitro Super Trick whatever on the front. Why? Well they came with the truck when I picked up the whole enchilada... Rears are just NAPA regulars. Never have given much thought to changing the fronts? Might be worth a try just for fun but for now they work OK.

~RWM

12. dubie

dubie

Good to know. I feel the same way about the price. It was a shade over $200 SHIPPED to my door in Canada. I've seen and heard good things about Rebel so I e-mailed Todd and placed my order a couple weeks back.

13. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Well that's the best thing about forums like this. Guys like you, Dubie and I that would never know each other exist get to share a hobby we all love. I like to think of the guys I "know" on these boards as "friends I haven't met yet". Cause if we lived down the block from each other I know I'd stop by, introduce myself and we'd probably end up hanging out occasionally.

Yeah, I've gotta go back and re-read that part of your build to make sure I understand. Where did you source the 3 piece drag link? If you assembled it yourself, are these Grade 8 strength components? Any details would be super helpful.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer Rob. Best to you & yours too. -Dan

14. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Hey Dan,

Sid sold me the 3-Piece deal. He's got all the goodies you need. Yeah, I would go back thru the post and have a look. I think I explained it the best I could but as always, just reach out if you need more info!

Cheers,

~RWM

15. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Ha ha, I should have known. All I've ever read about Sid is that he knows his shit.

As for reversing the taper. I don't own an Oxy-Acetylene torch - yes, I ought to. And I assume a MAPP torch wouldn't be hot enough, but if its what it SEEMS to be; a small enough taper that just heating it cherry red and driving the pin in from the opposite side, then I THINK any decent welding shop could do this for me (?) as long as I watch them so they don't try to do it all at one time or try to quench it. We don't want ANY question at all about cracking it or compromising the strength.

16. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Hey, I was just looking at the Posie's online catalog and they list Super Sliders - which are a multi leaf pack, and Dual Flex, which has two leaves. Which did you go with? Both list 3" as the max lowering but I THOUGHT you could get lower in the rear with reversed eyes.

17. Wow, right in my own backyard, hope to see it someday..

18. dubie

dubie

Robert, would you happen to have a picture of your light switch and the back of your gauges when you wired them up? I just started wiring my truck last night with this Rebel wire kit, but I'm a wiring virgin. I just thought if you had a couple snap shots of yours all plugged in, I could mimic the same set up and remove any guess work on my part.

19. LordDevlin

LordDevlin

Syndicate,

Ive been checking this thread out for a while now and I gotta say that the work youve done and the help youve offered others is amazing. Just waiting on delivery of my truck and Im going to be checking this thread religiously for help with my work. Keep it up. Awesome work.

20. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Dude, sorry for the delay in my response... Ah, I think I will need to climb under the dash and take a pic? I don't see anything in the files on my computer at this time. I'll try to take them this weekend and report back.

~RM

21. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Thanks Man! I just saw a picture of Brizio's new shop truck the other day and it makes me want to get on with the paint and finish! It was down at Sid's getting a tonneau cover and looks perfect! Red with black Tommy the Greek striping. So Bitchin...

~RM

22. dubie

dubie

Hey man, I appreciate any help

23. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Rob,
    Hope I'm not being a pest but can you tell me if you ended up with Posie's Super Sliders (their multi leaf pack) or their Dual Flex, which is a two leaf system? I THINK both come with the Teflon buttons in them to make for a smoother ride.

Hope all is well. Reading your FED thread too and really enjoying the old photos, etc. You realize you've got it by the "short & curlies" don't you? Work at a winery, beautiful supportive wife, beautiful kids, great truck AND building a dragster! Enjoy man, enjoy!

24. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Yes!!! Why Yes, I do!!!

The posies "Dual Slide" springs are in front and their multi leaf versions are in back. Killer ride all around. They never offered the dual leaf for the rear I think???

Thanks you so much for the compliments... Glad you like the dragster thread as well! I'm so close to wrapping up the chassis on that deal and soon hope to be on the final path the being done!

Next up is finishing the '32 Roadster.

Cheers,

RM

25. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Thanks SO much. I'm planning to order the same by the end of May since you're so happy with yours. Gotta call Sid too but I'll wait til I can say, "send me the full treatment, axle with reworked king pins, adjustable drag link & corrected steering arms". I've already got the disc brake & bearing kit so just gotta order the manual disc/drum MC & bracket for it.

There WILL be a thread, right? With lots of pictures for us imbeciles? Lol.

26. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

27. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Rob, I'll look forward to reading it through.

A member of this board PM'd me with an offer to sell me his CPP 3" dropped axle with new kingpins and Sid's reworked steering arms. No prices discussed yet and I'd have to wait til the Fall when he's making his swap to IFS - I'm chomping at the bit to get it done this Summer! - but I MAY hold off if I can save quite a bit.

My step son lives up your way in Los Osos and I hope to eventually drive my pile up there for a weekend visit. I'd love to meet up and see your truck if it can ever work out. Oops, just did a quick map check. Looks like it's still another 300+ miles from Los Osos to Healdsburg....oh well, best of intentions! Take care, Dan

28. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

29. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

30. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Unfortunately no... The truck has been stored behind my Dad's '33 coupe for several months and the priority has been getting that car sold. Happy to report that it's gone and the truck is now free! With the sun shining and weather perfect it's time to get back on the road with her. I'll grab it from the other garage sometime this week.

Cheers,

Robert M.