Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration cars are built for car guys then there are cars built for non

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidh73750, Apr 8, 2013.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Excellent. I drove my T Bucket to welding class Tuesday and had a guy tell me his brother has a Model A just like mine. I didn't correct him.... went right with the flow. They ARE out there.

2. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Giggity giggity!

3. Wooda bean the opposite for me....

4. Kindergarden? Hell I was lookin up the teachers dress untill I had no more teachers....

5. Died in the wool? Now we are talkin about murdering sheep? Boy...this thread has taken a turn for the worst....

6. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

I'm confused, am I supposed to wear black t shirts and impress (people) car guys?

7. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

A well thought out "SAFE" built car, whether a show car, or a jalopy, will get my attention as well as respect.
    I don't have to personally like them, or their design, to appreciate what they are...
    We all came from the same old gas station, whether working there getting greasy and smelly, or just buying gas and hanging around at one..
    (Oh, and I am one of the first)...and now an old fat man too !! :eek:
    Cheers.....

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

:eek:I thought I was the only one that did shit like that!!!:p

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well at least I'm not alone. Short version of a story I've told before, a guy kept bugging about the value of a car being shown and I wouldn't discuss it with him. When he found out I restored it and how long it took he said, "...I dare say, wouldn't that pay for a few college educations?" in a smug and judgmental fashion. I replied, "Fuck yeah, it paid for mine." Do this long enough, often enough, you'll hear it all. Nothing beats the drive. The show is where you get all the new material for making jokes during the day, but staying focused can get you inspiration and respect for your fellow craftsmen. I like both...

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

When we were racing heads up sometimes I would put deliberately bogus, totally non-functional plumbing on the car, then whenever someone came up and started looking at it, I would make a big issue of covering it up with a shop towel.:D Some guys would go ape-shit trying to figure out what we were up to. Gotta have fun with this stuff.

11. HotrodTrash

HotrodTrash
    from Hanford,ca

This thread is stupid, who fucking cares. Thread was about cars not clothes. Ifeveryone would mind there own business, it would be a much better place. Guy dresses 50's style, so what, guy wears sandles and gold chains, so what, you wear a polo and slacks, who cares. You have tattoos, what of it. People can sure talk trash on this Internet. Face up its always different. I don't give a shit what or who is looking at my car or whom I'm talking with about cars. They don't know anything? I'll educate them. I don't know? I'll be learning something then. Grow up, don't be an asshole. Can't believe I actually took a break rebuilding these carbs to post this, I guess I'm the dumbass.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  12. Ok so you don't care who looks at your car . Couldn't give a shit less what they are wearing.

But by Golly !!!! Just let a bunch of guys on the internet talk shit about those guys you couldnt give a shit less about and THEN - THEN you'll have something to say about it!!!! Damn it ! That's when you start caring and you'll be sure to let the whole fucking Internet know how you feel about it. That's when everybody needs to mind their own business ( carbs) but you. Educating the masses and standing up for social injustice. :) just busting your balls.

And I reall did think this thread was about cars when it started.

No go tell them posers why tennis balls need to be in stacks

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Think he had a steaming bowl of Shittios for breakfast?? :p

14. HotrodTrash

HotrodTrash
    from Hanford,ca

Damn it! You got me! I had a moment there.. Carry on

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  15. I haven't got a single tattoo, never had my wallet on a length of plug chain, don't have 8 inch turn ups on me jeans or a girlfriend who looks like a cross between Marilyn Monroe and Marilyn Manson... Shit I must have bought this car thinking it was a Volvo! Best send it back ;)

16. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Only of you are sitting in a lawn chair at a car show. :rolleyes:

17. 1954fordkustom

1954fordkustom

Iv been talking about this same subject since I got back from the round up. The show was fun and there was nice cars but a lot of what I like to call shit boxes out there. The best part of the trip was the drive. 3000 miles drive our cars priceless

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm currently into woodgraining a lot of Packard parts. Lots of "thinking time" which can be productive or dangerous (!), but this thread popped into my head again. During those quiet hours I landed on the thought of "A Matter Of Pride" in a way that we all might understand but take for granted. Why does the latest 6-figure billet rod get ignored in the presence of a dedicated traditional hot rod? Why does a period kustom over shadow the latest mod-motored Mustang? Every level of enthusiast knows they like older hot rods. They may not even know why, I sometimes don't know my damn self! But it's a matter of pride that our singular and collective interests and respect for a time that was once forgotten by many has actually shaped a new face on the hot rod personality/market. With all the ills we face daily not related to our passions, there's some level of solitude or peace living "back then". You need not be a PhD in automotive engineering/design/history to feel it, but I think we can all agree that many don't relate to that. Many can't remove today from what they're seeing and how it may have come about decades ago. For many of us we never knew any other way. Some "come back", some "want in", some will never "get it" and call all of them that dreaded term we hate so much, even a 1st class fully finished example.

Next...

19. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

Idiot experts are one of the most entertaining parts of car shoiws. Thanks to one of them, and the Beach Boys, I now have a Ford W motor in my VGR, as in "She's real fine, my four point nine..."

Bottom line, for my wife and I, after we walk away to discuss the crappier aspects of the last idiot build, "But his's here, ours aint"

20. Terrence

Terrence

I am going to have to walk around car shows in my underwear and wife beater. Most of my shirts and pants I wear in public don't have any signs of working on cars but I don't have a pair of underwear or an undershirt that isn't full of welding spatter holes. Cover your eyes this won't be pretty.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Here in Surrey, you'll blend right in...

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

As a child of the sixties, I often think about this, and while it may be true that life had a slower pace on an individual level, we tend to look at the political/social climate of the fifties/early sixties with rose coloured glasses. Jim Crow, McCarthyism, the constant perceived threat of nuclear attack, Bay of Pigs, the assassinations, Vietnam...It really wasnt all just Leave it to Beaver.

23. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

These statements remind me of why I am an FNG. I had a hamb account from about 04 or so. I've been surfing Jal.Jour. since it began. Sadly, I deleted my old account because of some of this stuff. Every "real car guy" is available to post how horrible you are at something.

I remember when the rockabilly thing took off, those were kind of my crowd, but I drove a 57 chevy. It was torture the way the black shirt car guys would trash my bowtie for being an "old man's car" It took me years to realize they were jealous and stupid. I deleted my account because of it. Now I find that having the moniker FNG, seems to allow title holders to be Vile and disgusting toward me and when I call them on it, my posts get deleted for insulting someone. Really? This is car culture today? I have been so depressed at the cultures dilution of family participation that I am considering selling the cars for a cub scout uniform.

With that off my chest, I think everyone is taking the OP WAAAAYY out of context. I get what he says, you can spot the "spectators" by what cars grab their attention. Its true

24. I hope this thread gets closed. Who gives a fuck what people wear or listen to it's about the cars. People just feel the need to make fun of others so that they feel nice about themselves I suppose:rolleyes:

25. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

x2.

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True enough fg, but in "our world" we did things individually and collectively with the same spirit. That spirit could easily remove those ills from back then. I agree, some of the times were indeed frightening and all was clearly NOT easy and clean and wholesome. More on point, much of what we love today was even frowned upon in society. The motto of the board "...to hoodlums..." emulates that in it's own twisted but honorable way. That's the part that causes all these butt-hurt types of discussion. It's difficult for some to get their heads around that, and even worse, at times it creates a "them against us" atmosphere which couldn't possibly be farther from the truth.

27. Buzznut

Buzznut

I think what happens more often than not is that each individual tries to come up with a way to easily identify "poser types" and in doing so, they ruffle another true car guys feathers because he in some way identifies himself as being somewhat like the other guys "poser" definition. Just as there is no easy way to visually I.D. a "true" car guy, there really is no way to easily I.D. a poser. You know them when you see them, and many times your first impression is wrong. No one likes to be labelled, but nearly everyone likes to try to label others....THAT is the main crux of the problem.

28. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

I feel i was born to late, and it makes me sad...everything now has to have a "LABEL" or be part of a fad. I like what i like and if i make new friends along the way even better.

29. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)I don't think you have to buy and wear a tee shirt that says'' I'm a car guy'' to be one. All you have to do is love cars.:p:D

30. This looks like an 80's roadster, sans billet & 4 bars.