Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone ever done an e-brake line lock?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loosenutNH, Apr 25, 2013.

1. loosenutNH

loosenutNH

I'm considering it,,,but don't really know how to do it and I was wondering how easy/hard it is? How does it work?

2. R Pope

R Pope

E-brake is mechanical, Line-lock is hydraulic.

3. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Should be pretty simple as it is just a solenoid in the line running to the rear brakes that gets energized while you are holding the brakes and keeps the pressure in the lines but I dont think they are recommended for parking brakes. Continued pressure on the lines would be harmful in my opinion to the wheel cylinders and the rubber hose and I also think the solenoid requires constant voltage to hold possibly creating a loss of park brake if the battery becomes weak.

4. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

That sounds like a good idea it should work. It's a easy install. Cut the brake line and flare the ends and wire it up. The one thing that I don't know is how well it would hold for a long period of time. Sounds like an good idea to me

5. ev88f

ev88f

Idk what NH has for inspections if any, but I know the ebrake should be a separate system from the rest of the brakes ie mechanical vs hydraulic

6. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Really an "E" brake is for "emergency" and needs a mechanical means of working in case of brake failure, like loss of fluid. A parking brake on the other hand stops the car from rolling when parked. Line locks like used in drag racing require an electrical solinoid and a means to activate it. It might get hot if left on over night or even an hour. Tow trucks use a lever actuated hydraulic valve that holds pressure in the brake system so the brakes are applied. The only system that I know is "legal" is the cable actuated one.

Good Luck, Pat

7. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Garvinzoom has some good points. If parts are cheap enough maybe it's worth a try

8. Parking brake yes, emergency as in backup -no.

But the cable operated emergency brake doubles as parking brake.

Late model stuff have electric calipers.

9. raidmagic

raidmagic

That can't be true. Too many new cars today have a push button electronic brakes.

10. No. They work at different ends of the car.

An emergency brake stops the rear tires from rolling.

A line lock hydraulically locks the front brakes to keep the car stationary while heating up the rear tires during a burnout.

Unless of course you have a front drive car...:rolleyes:

11. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I said "that I know" My newest car is a stick shift Alero with a pull up hand brake. There is a lot of high tech stuff now that I can't even phathom.

Pat

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

not legal in Md. If you lose a wheel cylinder brake line or M/cyl and all the fluid you have no EMERGENCY brake. Very hard on the upholstery when that happens at speed.

13. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Those electronic brakes are still separated from the normal braking system. A line lock requires the hydraulics from the normal braking system to function.

In case of brake failure the line lock wont function.

As for using a line lock as a parking brake, that's not a good idea either as the line lock is designed for short use only and prolonged actuation will cause the selenoid to overheat and fail.

14. BISHOP

BISHOP

The rubber parts, (seals) are not designed to hold constant pressure. They will fail.

15. Jamoke

Jamoke

(I'm considering it,,,but don't really know how to do it and I was wondering how easy/hard it is? How does it work?)

Wow front wheel drive Hot Rod ..............................NOT!

16. loosenutNH

loosenutNH

I didn't even think about the overheating solenoid part. That makes sense. I was thinking of it as a parking brake for the most part to pass inspection but now I'm wondering...loss of fluid/brakes, line lock won't work anyway right? maybe I should stick w/mechanical unit.

17. loosenutNH

loosenutNH

wtf?

18. Jamoke

Jamoke

Ive been Drag Racing for 40 years the only reason to lock the rear brakes is to do a front wheel drive burn out its a Joke

19. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

The solenoid is not for constant duty. It will fail if held indefinitely.

Also how long did you think your battery would hold out till your car rolled down a hill?

20. Mico makes all kinds of hyd. brake line locks used in the service truck industry. They are for short time use. Had one years ago on a single line brake system and could lock all four wheels, used it for launching my boat at the boat ramp.

21. Ole don

Ole don

Line Lock for parking brake? I knew a guy who put one on a truck and used it. His brakes were hot when he set them. A half hour later, the drums shrunk and he had to bleed the brakes to use the truck. Other methods are much better than a line lock for a parking brake.

22. slowmotion

slowmotion

I seem to recall seeing something similar using a manual accuated lever valve plumed in-line. Might have been on an old wrecker, or firetruck. Would have been pre (electric )line-loc days.

23. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Or just put a set of rear drums on the front....

BTW fuck e-brakes

24. Mnkyboy

Mnkyboy
    from Kalama, Wa

Froelich suspensions makes a disc brake conversion for jeeps that uses a line lock for a park brake but I think its intended for short term use.

On my jeep I used a hydraulic hand brake rather then an electric line lock, I have basically a hand brake in the truck with its own Master cyl tied into the rear brakes. It can be used as a hand brake on trails freeing up my feet to operate the clutch and gas or it can be set to ratchet and lock like a park brake.

It works great but I still wish I had a seperate mechanical E brake system.

25. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

26. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

27. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Stick with a mechanical system... For a NH street rod plate, it must have a mechanical parking/emergency brake set-up (not sure if that's what you're going for, but figured I'd put it out there).

28. loosenutNH

loosenutNH

Oh, I didn't get it. haha..little slow this morning..

29. loosenutNH

loosenutNH

Is the requirements for street rod plate different from regular plates? Just curious as I see you live in NH too!

30. bgaro

bgaro

you need to get your car inspected by the state police for a street rod plate. no thanks. with an antique plate regular state inspection rules apply, every other year.