Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 3100 Truck Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shadams, Mar 21, 2011.

1. shadams

shadams

No nutserts here, just wide open holes....:eek:

2. ...nice job on the front bumper mounting, that should work great. You'll never jack the truck up using the front bumper again anyway.
    ...as far as your fender fitment, these things weren't that precise from the factory, but your cowl panel is most likely the culprit, not the fender. Don't know a good remedy other than maybe adding a bit to fender to compensate, don't think it'd be too noticeable. Maybe you are too fussy! LOL

3. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)If you have a gap which can be see in the pictures, you can move the metal or add fender welting.....:D most all colors ,can be painted , can be covered with a naugahyde fabric also can get with a chrome silver bead.:D

Attached Files:

4. shadams

shadams

Thanks, rusty1.... It is the cowl for sure, when I replaced it I noticed the contour wasnt the same, and it was due to the inner arched piece being more narrow then the original piece, so it sucked the cowl over when installed. I am almost thinking I should have sliced the inner piece length wise to allow it to form up to the fender better, then come back and weld it up. Dammit, I always think of this stuff after the fact....

5. shadams

shadams

Ehh, I havent ever really liked the look of that stuff. Plus the gap is bigger than it looks...I know that helps reduce squeaks and keeps the paint from rubbing off, so I will probably have to use it one day when I paint it...

6. Might need the port-a-power to push the cowl outward.

7. Great job on the bumper, looks great and should hold up great! No, no, no to stacks....I know you we're joking, but I'm still saying no! That cowl gap sucks man, but I know you'll get it figured out (and without the use of a beaded welting!)

8. shadams

shadams

No real progress lately, just waiting on some replacement door hinges from Mother----trucker that he is sending me..

But, I decided it was time to insure the truck. I started thinking about all I have in it and how bad it would suck if it got stolen or caught on fire. Buddy of mine told me a storie about a Vette that was being restored and was just about complete when overnight something shorted and the whole thing burnt to the ground and it got me thinking. Anyway, filled out all the paperwork with Hagerty's and it seems like a great deal. I submitted photo's and what not. Now I am just waiting for a call to discuss all the details, so we'll see what happens.

Anyone else going down that road yet?

9. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013

10. Mine has been insured since day one with USAA. It's on a "storage policy" right now so it's pretty cheap. Once it's on the road the policy stays the same, but the rate goes up.

11. Yeah I just got mine insured through Hagerty yesterday, all I had to do extra was a custom & modified work sheet. After I submitted that I was on the road. I did have or use and still do for my daily USAA. However when I used them for my truck they stated they really don't deal with classics and could not cover everything, plus their premiums were higher then hagertys were.. I did the uninsured restoration thing, probably not my smartest move.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

12. shadams

shadams

I was just about to type the same thing. I also have USAA, talked to them and they said they would insure it but just as a 1950 chevy and whatever that is worth. Hagertys has all kinds of goodies and was only 450 for a year based on my guess of what I have in it.

13. shadams

shadams

Have not worked on the truck in a couple weeks. Got the hinges from MT but still have the same issue so it is as I feared the rear pillar. Need to tweak it a bit and should be ok.

I pulled all the trucks out of the drive and pulled the 50 out of the garage so I could clean up, and since it was a beautiful day I said, screw it. I am driving this thing.....here are the results...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOqy2n5Q-7c&feature=youtu.be

"Finally worked up the nerve to drive the truck for the first time. No gas pedal, just a string, and no electrical, just a wire nut on a wire at the HEI run to the battery, and a pair of cutters in my lap just in case. Flawless run and was worth all the frustration, cussing, throwing things, etc. Wife was almost in tears when I got back! The truck rode very well and the steering and brakes felt great. No leaks, no overheating, and no close calls, plus the weather was perfect!"

14. daddio211

daddio211

Congrats man! Loved the credit... "The Giggler" LOL

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

15. oldman2

oldman2

Loved the video, the rear dropped some after driving, and looks good....Jim

16. 53 sparky

53 sparky

17. That is awesome - you're dang close now! Congratulations. :)

18. Dude, that video made my night! If that doesn't give you the motivation to knock this thing out, I don't know what will! Congrats brother!

19. jhaas63

jhaas63

Just watched the video...awesome. Moments like those make life great

20. Sweet!!! You can't beat that, congrats!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

21. Buzznut

Buzznut

Congrats on the first drive! I'm getting close, and this month is TWO years on my build. It's not looking too pretty, but I'll be damned if I won't enjoy driving it regardless.

It's been fun watching this build...great job.

22. shadams

shadams

Thanks guys. It was really the kick in the ass I needed, I was starting to dwell on all the panel alignment issues and how things looked. After that drive I really could give a rats ass, I am going to get it to where I can drive it when I want and work on that stuff as time allows. The other cool thing was how excited my wife was, it has been a trip for her as well.

23. Congrats on the first ride, it sounds like you had a blast. Great to hear your other half was as excited as you sometimes we forget what they do to make it all happen as well.

24. Malarkey_BS 13

Malarkey_BS 13
    from Chicago

Congrats man, Pretty badass!!

25. vinnymac44

vinnymac44
    from W. Oregon

Drive it and enjoy it! Who really cares what others think it looks like? If yer happy with it, that all that really matters. You could spend years getting it to that perfect condition but miss a lot of fun driving and having an "old" car. Enjoy!!

26. orula

orula

Congrats man, is exciting the first drive :)

Superb your garage....

Keep it up

Frank

27. I bet that was a pretty cool feeling... Hope i can get to where you are in the not so distant future!

Congrats man, keep on!

28. shadams

shadams

Thanks again guys. My wife is due with our first (if you didnt see it earlier in the thread) at the end of May, so I probably wont get a lot done for a while dealing with all that comes along with a new baby, but it will get done, and soon. Thanks...

29. Ahhhh yes, there will be delays! What you do after the delay is what matters!

30. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Good Luck to you and your wife and new family !!!:)