Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hosting my first car show: Announcing the Lone Star Deluxe April 27th in Texas City

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sam Navarro, Feb 7, 2013.

1. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I'm leaving Friday....spending the night with my son...hope to see you there

2. Nice shot Sam, your car, Neil's truck, and the T-bird,,, is his name Bill? Sorry, but my mind is like a sieve!

3. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Yes sir, its mine, Neil, Bill aka T-Bird Bill, the guy with the OT Olds is Henry & the Bryan is drivin' Neils orange Chevy while we are building his 50 Hardtop.

Only 3 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SN

4. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

Sam.. how much for a poster! in a tube with postage?
    ... I think it might be a bit of a drive for me..

Hey and a LSD shirt too... and some band posters.. Great People to Support!!!

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Okay.... put some fresh cherry red paint on the fins of my valve covers and gave 'em a fresh polishing. Cleaned off a weekend of grime from underneath. Slapped on my new HAMB stickers.

Thunder Cats are GO!

6. papa

papa

I don't understand what the big deal about rat rods coming to your show is. We just got back from Las Vegas and Lone Star Roundup and there were just as many classics, hot rods; street rods; as there were rat rods. Personally I have both types of vehicles and I don't have a problem parking next to a rat rod when i'm in my classic car. They are all awesome works of art. I know many people that put hundreds of hours into building there rat rods to be safe so they can take their families with them in these vehicles so not all of them are unsafe POS's.
    We are thinking of coming to your show but a few of our friends with rat rods have taken offense to your comments.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

They settled that issue a few pages back. I wouldn't put them all in the "works of art" slot, but I usually just walk by what I don't like.

And, they settled this issue a few pages back.

8. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Like said before this was my reply on page 3:

Funny part about the "Rat Rod" word to me is that folks have a different meaning for it all the time. I do not care for Iron Crosses, 400 skulls, cars that are litterally dangerous driving down the road because some guy wants to put zero effort into a vehicle besides tack welding every sharp pieces of metal that come off ass he is driving down the hwy on his car. I was riding behind a truck like this last year on my way to Roundup that the bed was literally held on by ONE sheet metal screw and the guy was hauling ass down the hwy. To me it is dangerous & I dont like the thought of parking/driving my car that I have put many hours & dollars into around that.

Long story short here you go:

The Lone Star Deluxe car show is open to ALL "Pre-1972" cars, trucks & motorcycles. I want this to be a show where folks that enjoy all makes/models/styles of vehicles can come out with thier families for an afternoon out. The parking is all going to be on the same street, we are not sectioning off anyone so that everyone can have a good time. This event was born on the idea of celebrating all things hot rod influenced (Music, Clothing, Pin-Ups, Art, Cars) etc....

I came to be a little more open after I met this dude last week at a show that was driving what I considered a "Rat Rod" he was a stand up dude & just because I didn't care for his style doesnt mean he should not be allowed to join in the fun. I still dont care for the skulls, iron crosses etc but apparently some do so I spoke with my other investors & we want it to be open.

I hate to think that this will piss people off enough not to attend my show because I am allowing the evil "Rat Rods" in but at the end of the day I just want folks to have fun. Some of the most succesful & fun shows around have TONS of these cars around & folks dont seem to mind so I wont either.

I hope to see the local HAMB community out there to show some support & like I said I am working on something for the HAMB'rs that do make it out.

Cheers,
    SN <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Double thanks & hope to see you out,
    SN

9. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

I'll be there with four of the people from our shop. One of the persons from our shop will be in the pin up contest. I know that Sam has supported local events and businesses and it is important to me to reciprocate that support. If you live in the Greater Houston area, you need to try to go to the show.

10. FenixSpeedShop

FenixSpeedShop

Sam wish you a great turnout and a great time this weekend. I love Texas City and whole Houston gulf coast area. Hope this turns into a yearly event. Too bad I cant make it out there this time. Good Luck.

11. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

Sadly the definition has blurred between an unfinished or survivor-looking traditional hot rod and an overly ornate skull and spider web adorned art car that was built specifically to get a laugh or to get noticed. I guess it really doesn't matter.

Besides that I know some really wonderful, great guys who have terribly ornate and wildly ill-proportioned rat rods and I know some despicable pricks who have wonderful period perfect traditional hot rods.

I'd like to think that I'm over it. Good luck with the show!

12. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

13. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Fyi guys the first 25 cars to get in the gate will get a FREE 11"x17" poster of the show flier! Hope to see everyone out!

SN

14. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

No sir, just a FB page for now.........

SN

15. bigDrew

bigDrew

Sam,

Looks like a cool show, but due to previous commitments I can’t make it. Good luck with everything and I hope the turnout is huge!

-Drew

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  16. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

17. well, good luck with the show Sam, I was hoping Augie was going to be done with the paint on my sedan but, last thing I want to do is rush a body and paint guy. Will be at the 2nd annual for sure... Good luck and hope ALL have fun...

Mark

18. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Thanks for the well wishes, I pray for a great event that folks want to come back to.

19. cadillac64coupe

cadillac64coupe

Well I haven't posted on here in along time.. but I browse a round from time to time.. this caught my attention.. I don't know you Sam but me and my girl will be out there supporting the old home town..from La Marque ..

20. garagebuilt51

garagebuilt51

Will the gates be open all day? Not sure how early ill be able to make it.

21. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

The gate is closing at 3pm because of judging.

SN

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, some friends and I will be there, but it'll be after 12. See everyone there!

23. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Off and on, sprinkling rain here in the Houston area right now. Still planning to pull out, but it's a coin toss. Damn, I hate Houston weather.:mad:
    Went out at 9am and it was nice out. Drove to the store for the paper and got sprinkled on coming home. GRRRRRRR!!!:mad:

25. Sorry we missed you Fred, the cars were still arriving when my son and I had to leave at noon. Sam had a good vibe at his first event, good mix of quality cars on hand. This will only get better, good venue.

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I took a look 30 minutes ago and it was a wash. Literally. I consoled myself by odering a pair of P.F. Flyer limited edition "Sandlot" sneakers.:)

My friends are still trying to make it from the northside. They stopped by a Lowrider benefit before heading to Sams.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  27. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I personally want to Thanks Sam and his crew for a very well put together car show...a great venue....looking forward to next years

28. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Really enjoyed it Sam, location, vibe everything was great, only thing that would have made it better was if my 54 was there :D

29. Jimm56

Jimm56

I visited around 1 PM. There were about a hundred cars on display, plenty of people and happy vendors. They were about to start the pinup girl contest. I saw several likely candidates.
    One exhibitor told me they had been rained on twice, but not hard. Good mix of OT muscle cars, traditional rods and some ratty ones.
    Really good first show, I hope they do it again next year!

30. aldixie

aldixie

Great show Sam. On the way home hit Thunderstorms at Kemah and Deer Park was flooded. Wish the car had cooperated and I could of brought her. Next time for sure. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.