Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Willys Gas Coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Mar 20, 2011.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Chris, nice avatar !!!

2. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Got presented with this at my birthday party last night by my friends Jason & Anne, Absolutely brilliant artwork by Surfmonkey, Needless to say I was gobsmacked !!! The detail is awesome, So a big thank you to Jason, Anne & Tim. Need to find a frame for it now.

[​IMG]

3. farmer12

farmer12

Great artwork. And happy birthday mate!!!

4. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Eric, I was well chuffed.

5. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

You mean you can remember last night? Great band and good company , thanks mate.

6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Don't remember much after 1/2 time Gary, I was fine drinking the Bulmers cider but then I hit the bottle you bought me, I didn't realise it was 9% !!!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. Cider hangover.... Not good.

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Normally fine Geoff, the first 12 pints were fine but the number thirteen pint was the one that got me :D

9. Weasel

Weasel

As Dean Martin once said -"I pity people who don't drink - they get up in the morning knowing that's the best they are going to feel all day"....;)

10. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Langy.Happy birthday.My you have many more happy,healthy and prosperous ones.Love the art work.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

11. rovertenrod

rovertenrod

only 13! Must of been a dodgy packet of nuts. Lol

12. Big Jon

Big Jon

mmmmm bulmers, can even get that here in Invercargill, Happy Birthday Mate,

I get a lot of inspiration from your build threads

cheers jonno

13. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

Hi Langy.... Happy B'day..... got one next month myself..... can't believe how old I got so quickly.... L o L !!!! Have has a MediCare card as a reminder. Ha!!!!

Been quietly watching your thread for a LONG time. Got a surprise when a long time "Hot Rod buddy" stopped by to see me unexpectedly ...... Right away I got a sense he was up to something. My senses were right..... he "sold" his model A sedan project and promptly bought a "fiberglass Willys body".

So I e-mailed him the link to your build thread..... like ALL of us that have been following your build I am SURE he will "ENJOY & LEARN" like I have done...... Especially since he is now going to build the "gasser" of HIS dreams..... as well as MINE!!!!

Still got a "Willys" on my wish list ..... NEVER say NEVER !!!!!

14. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

BTW..... will post some pics when it gets to Pittsburgh. He expects to have it delivered in a couple of weeks.

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

You know I never thought it would be the nuts mate lol

.... ...

16. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Lovely stuff Jonno, glad the build thread helps you, thanks

... ......

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the kind comments bud, if it helps just one person it's all worth it, much obliged.

.... .......

18. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Happy Birthday

Martyn

19. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Over the weekend i managed to knock off lots of pesky 5 minute jobs so the list is fairly short now
    My 35 spline Strange Hy-Tuff shafts finally turned up so i slid them in place and put all the brakes back on, it was at this point I thought have I forgot something

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then thought I would finish off the carpet in the front of the car but my brain kept nagging me about something I had forgot, Got carpet all trimmed up and glued down, stood back to admire and thought it looked bare, thats when I realised I had forgot to fit the handbrake and cables Can't believe I did that !!!
    Anyway I dug the handbrake I made out of its hiding place but now it wouldn't fit so put it away for a future project, Luckily I had a Lokar floor mounted handbrake in stock and also a cable kit, It was fiddly getting the cables into the back plates as I had refitted the drum mechanisms, got it done in the end though, works great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  20. farmer12

farmer12

HAHA, nearly spilled my coffee! I still have to do the hand brake as well...........and yes, I nearly forgot. And yes, it's also a Lokar floor mount. Thanks mate!

21. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

How the hell did i forget it Eric, I'm normally so organised !!!

22. It's age Steve :) ..... How's things back in blighty?

23. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hahaha Dave, you maybe right, everything is cool here and it looks like good weather is returning, see ya soon.

24. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Langy, Meant to include this photo from your birthday. That is actually a fairly neat birthday gift to get. Hope you will be enjoying the original some timesoon.

I am busy documenting the work on my '29 Ford RPU/Modified as Jim does the work. The shell is sectioned five inches and we dropped the shell and mock up core at King Radiator in Lancaster. I will probably get the shell nickle plated some time soon. Will include other parts to be nickle plated.

Hope that you have a great summer working/playing with your Willys.

Dave :eek:

25. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Here is my shell/mock up radiator for my Modified.

Dave :eek:

26. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Dave

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Well been mostly twiddling my thumbs looking for jobs to do while awaiting the arrival of my heads, got an email 2 days ago saying the head guy was back to work and was hand finishing them Hopefully have them soon

While finishing off the carpeting I found I needed some sill finishers so made them out of 1/8" x 1.5" 316 Stainless, shaped them up and gave them a good polish up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another little job off the decreasing list was to make a filler for the water injection resevour, I had already made up a round plate to seal the large hole so just needed a small screw on lid., Made it in Aluminium as thats all I had In that size. Was going to weld it but it was easier to make a gasket and bolt it in place, It seals on an O ring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a pair of Holley carbs but got the offer of this pair of Edelbrocks that were new and already modified for a blower and had only been used on a dyno plus I like the look of them better than the Holleys.

[​IMG]

I have to sort out the linkages and they came with a Lokar rear bracket, Nicely made but in my opinion a horrible looking thing, gonna either make another or heavily modify this one.

[​IMG]

28. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

cant wait to see what u come up with

29. OldColt

OldColt

Hi Steve from another Steve across the big pond. I just found this thread today, and love and admire what you have done with the Willys. Unlike an earlier poster, I really like the "Bubba Gump's Speed Shop" name and little racing shrimp. Cool Stuff IMHO. --- Steve ---

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  30. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Me neither Brian