Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the worst thing you ran over with a Hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carlos, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

On the way to the Nats in Tulsa in 76---with my buddy Mike riding shot gun and I'm driving my 40 Chev. coupe. We spot what looks like a dark cloud of dust on the road ahead of us. Drive into the "dust" and it's a big swarm of bee's!! All the windows are down, window vents open, and both of us have our elbows on the window sills!! We hit the swarm at 70 mph, what we didn't hit got sucked into the car. Needless to say we're yelling, cussing and swatting for what seemed like 5 minutes. Get a mile or so down the road be fore we can stop and regroup, dead and stunned bees EVERYWHERE. Big black and yellow fuzzy bees! We bailed out of the car and start brushing bees off of our selves and each other, then start using towels to swat and brush them out of the car. I had a couple of welts on my arm, I think from them hitting it at that speed and did get stung at least once. Mike got real lucky and didn't get stung. Good thing too, he's one these guys who are REALLY allergic to bee stings. Spent the next hour or so driving at 75, swatting at invisible bees and listening for buzzing, Bust day!! BILL RINALDI

2. My Ex wife and it WASNT terrible :)

3. help-me-honda

help-me-honda

I would have got out of that car and ran, and never looked back.

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe not so much a hotrod, but in comparison to the company I was in it was a bit of a hotrod(Unimog's, Gun tractor Mack's).
    We were moving a gun position on one exercise in the Northern Territory, as usual I being the Medic always bought up the rear of the Battery in road formation. As you could guess with enough Mack's and supply/back up Unimogs for a 5 gun (155mm) Battery, buy the time it got down to us we were shrouded in thick red dust most of the time. It didn't give much time to react to anything on the road.
    Well one day during said move, coughing up a lung full of red dirt something comes spiraling madly out of the dust! It wasn't so much as big but we felt this thing hit the front of the Landrover 110 Ambulance and pound its way along the underside. Thinking this may be something important I hit the radio and the breaks to stop. We jumped out to see if there was much damage, a little to the front splash pan. Good! Now what the hell was it?
    It only took a very short walk as it was sitting in the center of the track.................
    A live 155mm High Explosive round!!
    It had come off a trucks ready use box, luckily it was not fused! I still about shit my pants when I saw it!

Doc.

5. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

My best friend John. I was sitting the roadster, idling, but in reverse, chatting with a young lady passenger. John, unkown to me, had crawled under the rear of the car to look at the rear axle. We were ready to go so I let out the clutch and heard a scream of agony. I ran completely over his right foot. Broke his ankle.
    That'll teach him!!
    The dumb shit!! (smiling)

6. I hit a Pukeko (native NZ bird) at christmas in the Hudson. It went to run away, but changed its mind and turne and run striaght in front of me. I hit it at 60, and blew it to pieces. Thought it was funny, but had flies all over front of hot rod for next week. I washed it a few times, but they kept coming.

7. Roadsir

Roadsir

Theres a joke here somewhere......:D

Thor1 likes this.
  8. Roadsir

Roadsir

Two low truck stories...First was my 32 pickup that was super low (Built by Krylon32) heading through a Chicago construction zone at midnight where they were grinding and pulverizing the concrete. I hit a chunk the size of a cantaloupe at 65 dead center on the gravel pan. It ripped it right off and the axle took care of the rest..

Second a super low C-10 heading to a swapmeet early in the am The front crossmember had about 2.5" to 3" of clearance and I hit an already dead large farm dog. Nothing but hide and matter hanging from the bottom of the truck and the underside of the hood.. Pretty gross...Not nearly as bad as a fat man:eek:

9. xxllmm4@hotmail.com

[email protected]
    from Oregon

A skunk, the damn thing poped and shot all over the underside of the engine. Smelled great for about a week.

10. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Myself, not a good moment

11. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Return trip from Ocean City, MD cruise last October in my 48 Plymouth...Piece of aluminum siding blew off a dump truck in front of us. Fortunately, no damage, although we did run over it. There was a couple in a AD Chevy pick-up running behind us. Not sure if they suffered any damage or not. Nowhere to pull off and check things out. Stupid idiot should have had his load covered, but....as we all know, morons are everywhere.:mad:

12. Todd's Rod's

Todd's Rod's
    from MInnesota

i was building a 60 studebaker pickup and i brought it home from the alignment shop and as i unloaded it,it roll over my son. Yep I ran over my kid, thank GOD he was not hurt just a bad bruise. needless to say scared the s#@! out of me. we immediately made some new shop rules.

13. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

One more I'd like to share. I'm out some where and my wife calls and says 'I've hit a bird and it's stuck in the grill". So I tell her your a big girl, pull it out or just leave it, I'll deal with it when we get home. She says "Its too big for me to pull out, and I don't think I should drive the car." SAY WHAT??? OK, I'll come to you. I find where she's at and drive the 5 miles or so to a local post office parking lot where I spot the car with a few women standing around. There, stuck head (and neck) in the grill is a full grown red tail hawk!! She said she was driving down the street and saw a flash of what looked like a bird in front of the car and sees SOMETHING flopping at the front of the hood. She pulls over to the first parking lot, gets out and OH WOW look at that!! I arrive and see the bird, GEEZ no wonder she didn't want to drive the car!! I get a good look and he's not moving. I talk to the wife ( and the women standing there, as unbelieving as I was) and I told her I'd put on a pair of gloves and pull him out by the neck. So I put my hand around his neck to pull and the darn bird is swallowing--he's still alive! Now I'm noticing the size of his talons!! Now what?? It's December and I'm wearing a winter coat so I wrap my arm around the bird get a grip and grab his throat and gave a good yank. His head and neck pop out of the grill intact--no blood or cut!! THe bird starts to flop so I just let go. He hits the ground and lays on the ground for a few seconds. Gets up and before me and my wife and the women standing there, flew away. Low and slow across the parking lot until he was out of sight. My wife who had never used her cell phone camera before had the presence of mind to get a few pix of him in the grill. BILL RINALDI

14. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

I'll try the picture again--

Attached Files:

Thor1 likes this.
  15. i hit a rooster with my 65 belvedere it was hit him , go into the other lane and hit 5 or 6 hens or go into a deep ditch ...HE lost he bounced like a basketball

i either hit a raccoon or possum dont know which didnt see him but i heard and felt him my friend who was behind me said it went into two pieces yeah i was moving kinda fast :D this was in an o/t car

16. G'day, My wife, a female friend, and myself were in my ot pickup climbing the Pembina Escarpment on ND 5. A couple of ducks flew up out of the ditch and the male hit dead square in the center of the windshield. Killed it immediatly but if tangle with the windshield wipers and lay dead at the base of the windshield all the way. Yuck.

ms

17. Back in 86 I hit the softball size hail that was falling from the sky. Went right through passenger side windshield and landed in the seat.

18. tell me thats not an eagle? never mind i read the first post

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

20. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

you win:d

Chavezk21 likes this.
  21. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a cat.. jumped up around like i dont know what..shit happens,,...

22. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

lol:d

23. SlamIam

SlamIam

20 tons of tomatoes in the dark on Pacheco Pass just after a semi lost its load. Tomatoes over a foot deep in a drift across the road. Took a long time to stop! Never did get all the ketchup washed out of that car.

24. fms427

fms427

A squished skunk, which wasn't quite flat enough to go completely under the 47 - travelled with us for awhile ..............

25. raven

raven

While riding home from my job on my motorcycle (75+ miles in the country), I rounded a long sweeping curve, at 80+, that contained a bunch of black birds having a party in the middle of my lane. All got away save one. I felt a thump and a very sharp pain in my knee with something warm and wet running down my leg. I didn't want to look down for fear of seeing a bird with it's beak stuck in my knee cap so I motored on into the city a few miles later, still reeling in pain. At a stop light, I muster up the courage to view the damage. I have a small puncture in my knee cap and almost no blood. I reached down and pulled one half of the bird from where it laid on my header and dropped it on the ground at the intersection. Later when I got home I visually inspected the whole bike. It appeared that the bird hit the front fork and split in half with one half hitting my knee and residing on my header. That hurt for a while.
    r

26. fun-ford

fun-ford

We were raising heck in a buddy's Cuda,pulled out behind another friend in a 49 chevy truck,when he got on it his tool box fell out of the truck and the cuda' found it. Same Cuda' also hit a deer at 70,not good for the deer or the car.

27. I've whacked countless birds, rooster, pheasants and even a peacock upstate NY. I was driving once and had this mourning dove (big time dumb bird..) swoop down and squarely kiss the header panel on my OT caprice wagon. Swear I could see the expression on his face and the wings spread out... nothing left but feathers.

My brother was heading out to do some surf casting and was approaching the Robert Moses bridge in his pickup, same deal as above but with a seagull. It hit his cab right above the windshield... BANG! Feathers, blood and shit all over the place.

Bob

28. TurboX2

TurboX2

A 4 ton bottle jack in a very low 30 A sedan. I heard it all the way out the back of the car.

29. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

A block from home I aimed at a couple of pigeons in the street while telling the wife they always fly outta the way in time. Bu-bump. Wrong.

Intentional avicide in her eyes.

The wind made that flattened bird's wing wave at me for days as I drove past it, reminding me of my heinous act.

But the worst part was the other pigeon hung around it for those days, making me feel even worse, for as it turns out, they mate for life.

Thor1 likes this.
  30. Raven, its amazing how much damage a little bird can do to you when tooling down the road on a bike. It feels like being hit with a fastball standing at the plate. Your story reminded me of one involving my wife. We were out late on the bike enjoying a long ride home when I spotted something flying across the road in front of us. I had enough time to duck my head, my wife sitting on the raised king and queen seat didn't have a chance. I felt the bike jerk and pulled over, she was struck in the forehead by the biggest bug I have ever seen. Her face and bandana were covered in a green mess. After I found out she was OK, I laughed, I couldn't help it, she was pissed. Not only for laughing but because I ducked.

Thor1 likes this.