Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the worst thing you ran over with a Hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carlos, Apr 23, 2013.

1. 62RagtopNova

62RagtopNova

In my 40 Ford just a bolt but it left a perfect impression of itself right on the top of the front left fender.

I did hit a guy in handcuffs who broke away from the cops and ran in front of me on the 60 Fwy in Riverside but it was in my truck. Slowed enough not to kill him but it effed him up pretty good.

2. jdrew

jdrew

Ran over a cat in an OT car....felt the fukker bounce off the floor board from the front of the car all the way to the back, looked in my rear view and saw it do 4-5 end overs/cart wheels...got up, and ran away!

Also ran over a muffler that fell off the car in front of me, couldn't swerve as there were cars on both my l and r side...so I centered up my car over the muffler hoping for the best...ended up puncturing the gas tank, and I didn't even realize it for 10 miles later.

3. jdrew

jdrew

Had a dog get spooked by a thunderstorm and ran into the street and hit the side of my truck as I was doing around 30mph, ended up rolling over him with my rear wheel...caused him to shit all over the tire/wheel...not a pleasant site. Dog ran home and died.

4. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

I hate all these stories, poor animals, and I know it's not worth risking your life to save a dog or raccoon that someone else will run over anyways but it still turns my stomach something fierce...

5. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

This one time i ran this cat over and the only reason i pulled over was because a cop was following me. He stopped and told me we had to find the owner if there was a tag. So he gets gloves and a bag and we pick it up and we are out in front of the owner house. So we go over and this weird looking old lady answers the door. I tell her i hit her cat and im sorry. With out a blink the lady then asks me if i want to buy it. Im stunned and cop pushes past me and arrest her. He reads her her rights then tells her she has been arrested for soliciting pussy.

6. doc5356

doc5356

Flathead Okis -- thats just to funny!!!!
    OMG - get a room!

7. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I hit a pack (3) of coyotes in my very low 49 just past Flagstaff...was going about 120 at the time and they disintegrated....the smell started soon after and the throttle was acting wonky...it was dark at the time and I did a quick visual inspection under the truck (all seemed well) and a peek under the hood revealed a chunk of bone wedged in the throttle linkage at the firewall...

I hit the road again and finished the trip out....got the truck to my pops house. Dad woke me up in the morning and asked me what I smoked on the way home....I went out to the truck and the passenger side had blood, guts/intestines and chunks of flesh down the entire side of the truck....

On an off topic car I caught a staked 4x4 in the passenger side of the windsheild...luckily it slapped the glass instead of coming through.

Wife caught a turtle that the car in front of her tossed up....(off topic for this site but still an oldie) caved the windshield and freaked her the eff out....

I hit a bat smack center of the windshield in my 47....it then stuck/slid up the window and over the roof leaving a bloody smear as it went.

My best work was popping (total ot car) a drugged out crackhead and putting him in almost through the windshield of my car after he stepped out in front of me in a drug induced haze on a non lit road in the outskirts of the hood where I work....thankfully I was only doing 35 but it was still good enough to stick his sunglasses (at midnite) into the roof of my car...

Even after the cops cited him for not using a crosswalk and arresting him for possession (checked into the jail via the hospital) he still tried to sue me.....my insurance company laughed at him and politically correctly told his ambulance chasing lawyer to piss off (the way my insurance rep told it was that they informed the attorney that their corporate attorneys were much better than he was ) never heard anything about it after that...nothing like driving down the road minding your own business then seeing a crackheads ass trying to get through your windshield....

8. T_Bird Guy

T_Bird Guy

A few years back on my way back home from the Rust Revival I ran over a turtle with my 1962 Thunderbird. I was following a pickup with a trailer and did not have time to miss the turtle. I could feel it hitting the floorboards and exhaust as it went under the car. When I got back I looked under the car for damage and could not find any.

9. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

mommy duck....total accident, and I won't break your heart with the ensuing scene involving young ducklings and the apparent mate. I wanted to drop dead myself right there.

10. Saw a beagle about an eighth mile away running along the side of the road. No problem. At about 100 feet starts barking and running straight for me like he's possessed. No problem, stab on the brakes, lay on the horn, and swerve away. DUMB dog keeps coming and jumps right into front wheel. OH SHIT, pull over to go find him. Sitting in front of a trailer with bone sticking out of his leg. OH SHIT. Go get the owner and tell her what happened. Apologized and went to shittiest fast food restaurant I've ever been to, Spangles, for a burger and shake to drown my sorrows.

11. fortynut

fortynut

I was in my OT VW bay-window bus headed up into Angles Forest and met two crotch rockets racing down the mountain, around Dead Man's Curve. One drifted into my lane and hit me dead on. It left his bike jammed into the front of the bus. He literally flew up, and landed with a splat in the road about thirty feet behind. After I got pulled over, I walked back and asked him if he was still alive. His reply was almost inaudible. "Yes," he said, through the bloody burble in his mouth. I was pissed, having just had the living bejesus scared out of me, and my ride smashed to hell. "Damn!" I said, "I was hopin' you were dead." They airlifted him out in one of the big LA County Sheriff choppers, just like a scene in a Roger Corman movie. I sold the bus and bought a GMC pickup to get something between me and the oncoming madness. I still remember the slow motion of it: him on his bike coming dead at me, his terrified face, and then him lifting up, flying over the windshield; a truly vivid moment, because I thought I was a goner, and didn't even get a scratch. Him, not so good.

12. fordcpe

fordcpe

I think you forgot to tell us the part about cleaning you drawers out after.This was a great story.

13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I had a good friend back in Ohio, who was packing around the expired short block from his '67 GTO, in the bed of his '69 Chevy 1/2 ton. One night he turned onto U.S. 50 westbound from a county road, doing a massive side-step burnout. The short block went to the back of the bed, cleaned off the tailgate, and landed in the eastbound lane (U.S 50 was still a 2-lane then). He pulled over, and flashed his lights at an oncoming eastbound Chrysler, which didn't slow down in the least. The fairly new Chrysler ran right into and over the short block, looking like a giant grinder from all the sparks. Thankfully, no injuries, but the Chrysler was a total loss. It looked like a missile had hit it from front to back, and why it didn't catch fire from the gas tank rupture I'll never know. Now back to the topic. Same friend, same summer (1981). I ran over a dead German Shepherd laying in the middle of Ohio Rt. 56 in an old Nova. We were going at least 100 MPH, and thought we had run over someone. We went back to check, shaking like a pair of fiends, and we were sure relieved to find out it was a dog.

14. 6-71

6-71

Ran over a broken spring leaf with my 39 chevy.The right front tire flipped the leaf up and wedged it under my original steel running board.When I stopped my wife said the door must be locked,it wouldn't open.The running board was bent up far enough that the door would not open.The board was trashed anyway,so I jumped up and down on it a couple of times and got it bent down so the door could open.luckily no damage to the door.

15. metalman

metalman

I knew a guy that managed to run over a mattress box springs that was lying in the road, probably fell off a truck. How do you not see something that big is beyond me (empty, straight road). Anyway the springs get caught up in the driveshaft, winding up till it stops the truck. The guy gets out cussing, trying to jerk the mattress free when poof, the tailpipe sets the mattress on fire! I had a heck of a time dragging the remains of a burnt out shell of a truck with no tires and mattress spring under onto my flatbed, just hauled it down and sold it for scrap weight, no insurance.

16. Hit this big rascal & had to replace the front fenders, grill & shell, splash apron, bumper & braces ,shocks & repair shock mounts on the frame. No more glass all steel front clip.

17. C R S strikes again just remembered I hit one a few years back (coon) that someone had already hit. Just topped the mountain @ speed & dark out but watching for deer & missed the coon laying in my lane until it was too late. Spent the better part of the next day cleaning the blood & guts & hair from the underside.

18. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My story isn't nearly as interesting, the only thing I ever ran over in my 38 Chevrolet were snowdrifts in the road as I was going to work, I lived on a gravel road and there were two snow drifts that I had to negotiate every time we got a good snow. I'd blow through them and push the license plate back under the bumper, no real damage as long as I didn't go in the ditch.

19. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I've hit a person (fighting on the side of the road and his foe through him out into traffic), two dogs, a cat, a bat, and a few birds.
    On the way to Bonneville, we were driving through the desert late at night, and saw a huge jack rabbit on the side of the road... he stood there until the last possible minute, and then ran in front of me and got flattened.
    My son, who was 12 at the time, just looked at me and said very matter-of-factly "Well, THAT was stupid" and never said another word about it.

(and if it makes anyone feel better, I got hit by a car once too, so I know what it feels like to be on the other side of the bumper)

-Brad

20. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

Ran over a bridge - cost me $1500 bucks!!!!!!

21. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Driving roadster on freeway at about 75 mph- Pickup truck up ahead lost a load of scrap lumber & a BBQ.
    Missed the BBQ, thought I missed all the lumber.
    A SUV ahead of me hit 2 pieces & flung them at my car. The 2x4 3 ft long hit the windshield & frame- partially tearing out the driver side mount from body. It caught the grille shell, insert & radiator 1st- pushing the hood over the cowl. The 2nd piece was a 4x10 about 5 ft long. Drivers side wheel hit that & stripped the suspension right off the driver side of frame.
    About 40k in damages inc paint.
    Thank god for Grundy!

22. fleetside66

fleetside66

Nothing to compare to some of these great stories, but I ran over my own screw driver in the road the other day. I took the hot rod truck out for another shake down cruise & left a screw driver on the frame. So, when I was returning home, about 100 yards from the house, I see this nice screwdriver sitting in the middle of the road. I think to myself, "Oh, man, my lucky day..some dumb schmuck dropped a nice screwdriver in the middle of the road." I stop & jump out, only to find out I was the dumb schmuck.

23. I'm on my way to work, graveyard shift, in my O/T Porsche(not the vehicle of choice with which to battle a large mammal!:eek:).

As I'm cresting the last large hill before town, I see a doe on the shoulder.

It's misting and there is no other traffic to speak of.

I'm doing my best to slow down on the freshly wet road in a very light car.

Sure enough, she darts out into the road about 50 feet ahead of me.

I swerve left, she goes left.

I swerve right, she goes right.

I'm down to about 35 miles per hour at the point that we make contact.

The Porsche hits at her knee and her head drops down and breaks the winshield wiper right off of the cowl, without breaking the windshield!

Rips the passenger side headlight right off, along with the side marker and leaves a good tuft of hair in the housing for the blinker.

The body whips around and clobbers the side of my Porsche, sending me into the ditch.

I get out of the car, and go to check on her.

A nice guy pulls over to see if I need help, and if I am going to keep the deer!

I tell him that the car is just spinning its wheels in the muddy drainage ditch, and I could use a tow out of there.

He says, "No problem, but we should get the deer out of the road before it gets ruined!"

As we are going to put her out of her misery, and drag her over to his truck, a Black Mercury Grand Marquis comes up the other side of the hill.

We are flashing flashlights and waving our arms for it to slow down.

No dice, the Mercury hits the doe at, I would guess, 70 MPH and goes fully airborne!

The Mercury hasn't even hit the ground yet, and I hear the guy say, "Dammit, what a waste of a good deer!"

The Mercury went all kinds of sideways, but never stopped.

We pulled the carcass off of the road.

This guy hooks my Porsche up to his bumper and pulls me out of the ditch and we go our separate ways.

I'm guessing he doubled back, because on my way home in the morning, the deer was gone.

Thank God for good samaritans, I even made it to work on time! :)

P.S. I made a couple of steelhead flys out of the deer hair in my blinker, and they have been VERY successful!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  24. Lucky77

Lucky77

I hit one of those raised access ports for filling underground gas tanks in my sedan. I was getting gas after the Pileup in 09 and nailed it with my transmission pan. I wasn't going fast but hit it hard enough to stop the car. I limped it back to the hotel in Joliet but the valve body was wrecked.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

25. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

The roads around here. Potholes big enough to house a family of 5.

26. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Like some of the previous posts, yea I once had the pleasure of running over a semi-truck trailer crank handle with my 40 pickup in El Paso during rush hour on the way to LSR. Made a bunch of noise and scarred our tear drop, but OK. The worst moment was what I didn't hit. The wife and I took my mother to a stage show in Hollywood, the one about the King of the Beasts. We were in my Mothers OT sedan as everyone wouldn't fit in the hot rods. It was after the show about 2am, we were flying down the 10 fwy in Ontario. Dead tired, Mom was asleep, Chick was dosing in the Pass seat, and I was almost dosing. Stay Awake, almost home, cooking about 80mph, it was late, 5 lanes what could go wrong? I am in lane 3 when ahead I see a blinker in the number 2 lane and it's not moving, I think. I clear my head and I see it, a fresh accident with about three cars and a truck. People are standing in all the lanes looking. And they are getting clooser, then just like in the movies everything goes slow motion. Can't stop, so I look my lane has a small gab beteween two vehciles that are sideways in the next lanes. Someone almost in in my lane, I am like 100 feet away, they notice me, one moves I hit the slot, I could have touched either the person or a vehicle. Out of the woods? Nope! Just past the gap is a large many drawer tool box, must have fallen out of the truck. Nothing else to do, I pull the wheel to the left just as I was passing the line of people and vehicles. There is more shit in the road, just as I pass the box I pull the wheel back. I hit nothing, no one and the road went back to black nothing. I thought I fell asleep and was dreaming, but I look over and my wifes eyes are as big as sausers. "Did I?" "Yes!"

Thor1 likes this.
  27. Cruiser

Cruiser

I hate parades. Run over horse shit in a down town parade, damn! a big pile of horse shit. Spectators were yelling at me, they must like the car. Wrong! Spend the rest of the day with a screw drive brush and soupy water trying to clean all the shit off the tire tread.

CRUISER :cool:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  28. NAES

NAES

My OT 95 caprice 9C1. Lowered all narc status on the cop wheels/tires. I go to back out of my driveway and feel a thump-thump. My headlights lit up 2 feral kittens as my ex-wife screams in horror. They're flopping around like fish out of water. I run into the garage, grab a couple of welding gloves and throw them into a box I had lying there. Had to put them out of their misery. Man that was a long night.

Other stuff. I had a wheel came off on the freeway and throw me all kinds of sideways. Hit a pallet and got some air. I've nailed some mean dips that have almost chipped teeth out of my head.

Good times, NAES

29. Rich Gibbs 37 on his way to the Broken Dream Cruise.

Attached Files:

30. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

big ass possum in a VERY low 34 PU. so low in fact it with the lower 1/3 of the cut down duece shell. iiieewww.

oh yeah, and the furnace in my dad's basement with same truck. lesson learned--neutral safety switch is a MUST

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013