Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects B is for Build - Olds Powered 34

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Speedy Canuck, Feb 26, 2013.

1. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Take some more pictures this weekend. I'd like to see more of whats going on.

2. Hey speedy, this is looking really good.
    Do you have any pics of how the radiator out let hose/hoses interact with the crossmember ?
    And is a truck front crossmember different than a truck?
    I see different opinions and write ups. Some day they are the same same and others say they are different.

Thanks man

3. I am enjoying the build,,some very creative ideas being put to use. HRP

4. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Looking great, Spring is right around the corner better get a hustle on!!!

Nice.

5. I just need to find some time to get work done. My parents keep co-opting me into spring cleaning... :eek:

I can get some pictures of that this weekend. All of the frames for the 33/34 passenger cars (including the Model 46 pickups) are the same. 112" wheelbase, and same crossmembers.
    I drilled out the rivets on my original front crossmember, and before I sold it, compared it to this reproduction piece. Aside from the back webbing where the flathead mounted, and a few other details (not related to radiator mounting), they are almost identical.

Thank you HRP! I'm just chipping away at it and shooting for the right 'look'.

6. I'm just looking forward to spring getting here so I can work in the driveway! Or at least work with the garage door up. :)

7. I just have my radiator clamped to the radiator mounts on my crossmember for now. I haven't measured yet to make sure the radiator is perfectly aligned side to side and front to back within the mounting pads, but this will give you a pretty good idea.

-In the first picture, you can see the clearance over the passenger side of the crossmember.
    -The second picture is more straight on and shows that there is roughly 1/2" of clearance above the top of the crossmember to the bottom of the hose.
    - The third picture shows clearance from a different angle. (Sorry it's so dark.) About 1/4" clearance at the closest part from the fender stay mounts.
    - Fourth picture shows a little better overview. Again, sorry it's dark.

Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

8. That helps a ton ! Thanks speedy

9. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)A fun project ,keep it going.:D

10. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Those pics were a tease!

11. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

looking good AJ, keep it up

12. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Good weather is coming !Let's see some pics this weekend, :cool:please .:D

13. I'm working on it Sunday and Monday, so I'll have some more pictures for you guys. I need to figure out my seat height and steering column length as well as a million other projects. I just need to order some damn axle shafts to make this thing a roller... :rolleyes:

Thanks Brent. I need to start making some serious headway if I want to be fully together and ready for paint by fall. :eek:

14. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

15. Working on Sunday was a bust. Monday was spent getting burnt in the sun and smoothing out the frame. Nothing really interesting to look at. Just stripped the frame down, grinding and smoothing, then built it back up so I could roll it inside.

[​IMG]

I had a few things I wanted to get done that would have made for good pictures, but I ran out of time...

Some week, I need to rebuild these carbs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  16. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

That frame is looking really good!

Get those rear axles ordered!

17. Not a lot of progress worth posting about right now...I've been trying to sell my OT '69 Firebird, and I've been re-wiring it to get it running. That's been eating up the weekends with nice weather that I've had so far.

The frame has been smoothed out; only a few things left to do on it (headlight bar mounts, bed mounts, hydraulic brake hose mounts) before it's ready for cleaning, and primer.

Rear axles have been ordered to get this thing rolling, and the front end should see a drop in the near future...

I also played pretend a little bit this weekend. My milk crate is a bit tall, but it felt good to behind the wheel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/media/cab-on-the-frame-again.468684/full

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  18. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Shame on you !! Only wire milk crates are traditional !!

Seriously, excellent project and thread ... keep the posts coming.

19. COOL Build!!! Nice work man.

Hack

20. I would definitely suggest chopping your milk crate! :D HRP

21. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)That is a nice truck. Enjoy!:cool::D

22. Well damn! I've just gone and ruined all hope at a traditional build :D

Thanks Hack! How's yours coming along?

With the original seat, I had plenty of headroom and being only 5'7", I was fairly comfortable. The original seat frame was shot though, and rather dangerous (health wise). I'll be building a new seat and shooting to keep the same height.

Are you running an original seat in yours?

23. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Well damn! I've just gone and ruined all hope at a traditional build :D

I guess that milk crate puts you a step closer to your traditional build being a RATROD:eek::D

24. I rarely understand you bill

25. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

...you going to run buckets or bench?

26. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Olds Rocket in a '34 truck is sweet! I thought my 324 was a hot rod in a full sized '55 sedan.

Runnin shine likes this.
  27. Milk crates David! Milk crates! :D

Just a bench. That'll be a rainy weekend project.

It should scoot along just fine ;)

28. Progress has been frustratingly slow. I've been dumping all my free time into the Firebird trying to get it sold.

My axle shafts for the 9" showed up on Thursday. Was hoping to slap them in over the weekend and make the frame a roller with the bed on. Of course, I don't have a press, so I couldn't put the bearings on, and being the Sunday of a holiday weekend, nobody was open. So that's been delayed. (I'll get the bearings pressed on this week in the city.)

My new dropped axle is waiting to be shipped/has been shipped/is being shipped (???) from Joe down in Oklahoma, so I'm hoping that gets delivered this week or early next week. It should give this thing a little more of a hotrod stance.

My fellow Canadian Flowmeister from out in Calgary sent me a section of floor from the bed of his new truck. I'm hoping to use it to repair the gaping jagged mess left by the previous owner when he shortened the bed. So thanks again to Flowmeister for that!

Matt over at Gear Drive Speed and Custom will hopefully be getting my new exhaust manifolds tig'd up this week so I can figure out the final placement of the underslung exhaust.

That's about it...

29. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Slow and steady......it's gonna be wicked cool, I'm sure.

30. "gaping jagged mess", that sounds nasty.
    You're welcome,glad I could help out a fellow HAMB'er

Sounds like a lot of things are all going to come together at once and major progress will happen.
    It's all good!