Register now to get rid of these ads!

Plys or Radials?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sweeden, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

Whats the diffrence... which is recommended? If there isent any diffrence and its just a preference thing how do u make sence of the ply size numbers? What would a 215/75/15 be in ply? Thanx ahead of time?

2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

If you want traditional, go bias-plys...

3. millersgarage

millersgarage

please do a search, this has been covered many times

4. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

As they say: for those who understand no explanation is necessary....

5. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

so none of this has given me an answer... not writing anything would have been more informational.

6. Sorta like you never posting a introduction? HRP

If you go to the Coker website there is a comparison chart,,I like Bias Ply. HRP

7. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

not sure theres much for a introduction needed. Im not real computer savy so i dont really know how to jump all over the web to find the answers i need. Since this is a forum i figured thats what it was for but apperantly its just used for a bunch of know it all old guys to talk shit haha.

8. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

If you look at the top red bar of this forum page, there is a tool, Search this Thread. You click on it, enter bias ply vs. radial, or bias ply tires, or bias ply and go to town.

Sometimes you can do a search and you won't find what you were looking for, this isn't a perfect search tool, BUT, at least then you can say, 'hey, I did a search for X and didn't find what I needed' and folks would acknowledge you at least made the effort. As for the internet, savvy or not, if you go to the library to look something up, you have to ask for material and read what the librarian directs you to find.

9. Call it what you want,,Ryans rules,,post a introduction,,obviously you don't need to do so.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18

You were given all the information you needed,,the question has been posted numerous times and the scerch button works very well,,which should be aparent from the previous post a member took the time to look it up for you.

I even offered a website,,,looks like you are the one talking S#it! HRP

10. You don't even have to use the HAMB search function if you don't want. I usually use google to ask my Hot Rod questions, and it comes up with HAMB threads usually.

11. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

Hello The names sweeden. Introduction complete. Thanks for the help i appreciate it everyone seems to have the answers im lookin for just not good at finding the answers i need i suppose... im goin back to the garage... My car is looking for a introduction haha

12. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

thanx Dan... i was googling but u just find a bunch of opinions and nothing set in stone as far as this subject goes... i guess its more a prefrence thing with no concret answer

13. Sweden,

I would not run anything else but radials on my full fendered p/u. Ride, handling, mileage, safety for me trump the neater look of the plys. I also kinda think that if radials were available back-in-the-day, the original rodder guys would be running them for the same reasons.

14. That's the bottom line, opinion. Bias look great on traditional open fender cars. Radials are newer technology and don't belong on an open fender car in my opinion, but ride better ansd last longer.

15. kirby1374

kirby1374

and opinion is really the only answer you will find. So don't ask about oil, zinc additive, batteries, marvels mystery oil, 600 oil for Model A's.....etc :D

16. hotrotti

hotrotti
    from Finland

I have 56 merc,original tire size G78-15 Bias-ply ,drive many years but now I buy new radials from dbtires,size 215/75 x15,looks and drives great,have 3 inch wide white walls.Better expecially low speed cruising,and our bad condition roads,now my wife agrees to drive merc.But radials looks awful open fender cars.
    Tapio from Finland

17. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

18. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED

thanx for the info sawbuck hahah... thanx for the advise... i guess radials is gonna be my way to go I drive alot of highway since my city sucks lol so what a tires gonna do at 85 is my biggest concirn thanx

19. 42merc

42merc

If you really want to drive it & not just showoff in town you need radials.

20. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

Good God!!! 9 replies before any type of answer!!! Took the same amout of time to post some smart ass "use the search" or "intro"??? Than it would have took to answer the poor guys question. I would have posted an answer myself but I had the same question and was gonna read the answers. Guess not!

21. the size of a bias tire is the width and the wheel size....
    6.5x16 is 6.5 inches of width and on a 16 inch rim

side wall profile stays the same % about .

so a 7.5 x 16 will be taller and wider.

a metric tire is measured the same way but with more options

a 215/75/r16

215 is your width so just substitute the 6.5 in here

the side wall profile is almost always about 75 ( you cannot get different sidewall heights for the same width tire.

and the 16 is the 16

22. BS,,I've got close to 14,000 miles on my pickup with bias ply!

Close to 600 miles in one day. HRP

23. If you will go back and read your INTRODUCTION which you did you talked about SEARCHING to find what you were looking for.

This is the hamb,,it's not always warm and fuzzy!:rolleyes: HRP

24. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

That's right - no one drove their cars until radials came out in the what.......1970s??????? Roads must have been empty...

25. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Not empty, but better paved. Many of us were around when the Big Switch started happening. I haven't driven a bias ply car in so long it's hard for me to say but I sure welcomed the change at the time.

Edit: I should say better paved around here. Lack of funds these days apparently, or getting spent on other things.

27. chubbie

chubbie

JC Witney had "european radials" in the early '60s VW's had them as early as when?? I've seen early hotrod pictures on the HAMB that had radial tires. what we learned that rarely is mentioned is that radials don't go FLAT!!! when i was a kid you never went anywhere with out a spare tire!! you would need it!

28. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

do fish get thirsty?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

what ..they don't go flat?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.