Register now to get rid of these ads!

Frames painted with rustoleum LETS SEE THEM!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Yeah I need to buy that piece for the compressor to much wwater comes out. I have already painted the rear Suspension and axle with gloss black krylon. Hopefully it all will match

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Good enough for my junk...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

harbor freight valspar (same oil based stuff as rustoleum) sprayed with hardener. Was about $25 for a gallon of paint, better than spray cans IMO. From now on I am going to use the semigloss, looks nicer but I had the gloss paint in stock.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. topfuel55

topfuel55
    from Hebron IN

Here's mine. sprayed with Rustoleum, semi gloss black. Let it dry for a long time. I was afraid it would be soft. I dried harder than woodpecker lips

Attached Files:

5. Semi gloss cans....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tim likes this.
  6. BobMcD

BobMcD

When I first saw this thread, I thought to myself " How good could this be?" All I can say is that I am impressed! Great job guys!

7. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

seems like a good product---sold...

8. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

BAM!!! SEMA watch out!

Attached Files:

9. mutant55

mutant55

I do not have any pictures handy of things I have sprayed or brushed with Rustoleum, but I am a fan for sure, and let me ask all of you this, Have you ever tried to get Rustoleum off after you have applied it? I have tried to blast it off after I scratched a heater fan housing after I had it painted perfect, to paint it over again. GOOD LUCK! this stuff is hard as nails for anyone with a question in that area. Big Fan.......

10. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

Valspar and the rustoleum work pretty good..i've used them both

11. Lunchboxlbc

Lunchboxlbc

We Did the the frame, inner fenders, firewall and interior all in rustoleum. It has all turned out really well, and it's cheap!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

My T frame when I first painted it. Sorry for the pic quality.

[​IMG]

13. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Do you guys feel the rustoleum kills any rust that is left just like por15 claims to do?
    I know por15 says to remove any loose particals but i think my biggest concerns is the inside of my body. Interior is all out and i was just thinking today if a can of rustoleum would stop the rust, seems like i could get a rattle can into some tighter areas.

14. Rustoleum Satin thinned 4 to 1 with acetone and a cap full of Valspar hardener.

Shot it through a cheap Harbor Frieght gun.

Attached Files:

15. jgb7038

jgb7038
    from Indiana

Used gloss black and hammer tone black, which actually is a dark gray. Painted everything under the truck,frame,suspension,floors,calipers,etc.

[​IMG]

16. This was never meant to be anything but a temporary paint job to protect the frame, while building the body structure. It's straight out of the rattlecan Tremclad (Canadian Rustoleam) over Tremclad primer.

Attached Files:

17. not rustoleum, but I brushed on some 2part primer and gloss black paint meant for steel bridge painting. cant remember the name at this late hour..zzzzzzzzzzzz

Attached Files:

18. Matt Fox

Matt Fox

KBS Coatings sells frame paint in several colors. About $85 online from them for a half gallon (look for free shipping coupon). Here is a pic of the frame on my son's first vehicle and build. We sprayed it in a two car garage. Color is "galvanized steel". SUPER DURABLE and doesn't chip or flake. Very similar to POR15 but with colors. PM me if you need help finding it online. I will send a link.

Attached Files:

19. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

How many spray cans and how many gallons does it take for an average size frame?

20. FANTASY FACTORY

FANTASY FACTORY

I cal BS on the acetone rec, since Rusto sells a thinning agent for spray application, and i been using it since 1975. are they in the business of giving money away?

21. Drewski

Drewski

Guess you haven't read the label on the can.

22. Drewski

Drewski

I don't even know why I'm taking the time to do this.

[​IMG]

23. castirondude

castirondude

If it helps you any, I feel very entertained :D

I was going to upload some rustoleum pics too but they wouldn't add much to what's been posted

I painted part of my trailer once with por15, didn't clean it at all, just brushed the stuff on, and I must say that it seems more durable than enamel paint. But I hate working with the stuff. Very expensive, and once you open the can you have to use it or lose it. Your brush will also be one time use. And if you spill on anything it WILL NOT come off. Also if you get it on your skin it will not come off, it will take a week to wear off with the rest of your skin. So I'm back to using enamel.

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

24. Ha - I had my reply all typed out with the same picture and then said the same thing and deleted the post.

25. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

I brushed my A frame, stock rear and front axle with a little less than a quart of semi gloss. I like it because it self levels and you can paint down to 50 degrees. Only problem was the bristles I had to pick out from using a cheap bristle brush :)

26. Lol maybe they have revamped since 75?

27. Having been in the retail paint business most of my life, I sold Rustoleum for many years,,it was invented by a Robert Fergeson in 1921 who was a sea captain who noticed that when whale oil was spilled on metal it stopped rust in it's tracks.

I'm sure they don't use whale oil today but it does contain fish oils. HRP

28. Holy Sh**. That is pretty cool info HRP. Thanks and keep the pics coming guys. I am also almost to this point.

Hack

29. castirondude

castirondude

So what do you think about por15?

I've been disappointed in their tank sealing products but the rusty metal stuff seems to work as advertised

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

30. fifty5rod

fifty5rod
    from El Paso TX

Ive used Blitz Black from John Deer...should last quite some time since its made for tractors.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app