Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help Wanted; Blood isn't always thicker than water!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old&Low, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Old&Low

Old&Low

Hi Guys,

I don't know how else to put this other than to just come out with it: I'm 66, and we have seven children, and 12 grandchildren (I won't count the great grandchildren,) and not one of them is what I would call a 'car-guy,' let alone a Hot Rodder. I've got extensive Hot Rod Building experience; have owned a couple 'Restoration/Hot Rod' Shops and a couple Production Paint shops, have managed 'Dealer' Body shops and a variety of Body/Restoration shops. In between then and now I've spent over two decades working for the Department of Defense. I now have a 30'x50' insulated, fully equipped Hot Rod Shop, fifty years worth of experience, including some of the 'Lost Art's such as 'Leading,' have painted over 1000 cars (several show winners,) and (thanks to the DoD) have busted myself up pretty good physically. I still have the knowledge, state of the art equipment; (even a Louver Press!) and no one to share any of it with, especially the knowledge!
    We live out 'in the sticks' and we're looking for a 'grandson' or granddaughter', so to speak, to teach, help pass on, and share this 'hobby' that I have been privileged to let consume the majority of my adult life. I have a 'ton' of 'Old Fords,' Hot Rod Chevy engines and speed equipment, American Mags, and such so there should be no shortage of 'projects' to work on. I'm not looking to sell anything short of finished projects, just to pass on my love of the sport.
    If any of this sounds interesting to you, if you're in the right age group, and if you can convince me that you're not just another 'speculator,' than 'PM' me with some info and I'll get back to you.

Sincerely,
    John (Old&Low) and Ginger Storey
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    575-437-3147

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  2. Not a grandson, but I recently lost my dad.

3. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Good luck, wish you were a little closer!! Thanks for your service to our country!!

4. n847

n847

Hope you find someone to mentor. We need more people like this!

5. jhaas63

jhaas63

Wow John, wish you were in Wisconsin. Very cool.

6. Are you sure there your kids?:D;)

Hard to believe that you have so much to offer and none of them are interested but I guess it happens.

I have known guys that their children were interested in the older cars until it entailed work on their part and out the door they went.

I do hope you find that adoptable young person that has a desire to learn and take advantage of such a generous offer. HRP

7. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

WOW! What a GREAT offer for an opportunity for a young person to learn a very FUN and possibly rewarding trade! Wish I was 30yrs younger and 1000 miles closer! Hope you find just the right candidate!

8. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

John you sound like a great guy .If I still lived in Silver city I would drive to visit you and Ginger .I hope the right person or people get in touch with you.Best of luck Thanks for your service too.

9. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

Just a state over yet so far away!

seriously though 66 is not too old and you mentioned great grand children. there is still plenty of time to let one of them in on the great knowledge you have. I am currently 21 years old and soak up every word my grandpa has to say. I cant say this for my other siblings and cousins (although they all love him). I think searching for a "grandson" to mentor might turn up good results but the best will come when you least expect it. shoot you could have 20 more years and that's plenty of time to get one of those great grandchildren interested in this cool hobby of ours.

This is just from a youngster who would love this opportunity but also knows that the best traits are past down in the family

10. heatnbeat

heatnbeat
    from Madera,Ca.

In 1993 I bought a 1933 Chevy 5 window coupe for my 15 year old son. He came out and looked at it and said " don't put the gas tank in the trunk that is were my stereo is going "
    and walked back in the house! I called a friend and sold that night!

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey John...I'll be 56 in a few days. Is that too old to be your "grandson"? How 'bout a younger "brother"?...lol.

I sure hope you find someone worthy of your time and efforts. All the best to you and Ginger. (Love her name)

12. BJR

BJR

I'm only a young 63!!! Adopt me pleeeeeze.

13. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

14. crazydays

crazydays

What an opportunity for someone! I could only wish that I had an offer like that when I was younger. I think that it is a really cool thing you are doing!

15. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Awesome guy! Good luck with your search!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

16. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

I just don't understand how all those people, kids, grandkids and so on, can be exposed to such a great hobby at that level and not have an interest.
    To each their own but between the knowledge, the skill to build things and the fun of driving a car with style and a personality, I don't understand how someone could possibly not get hooked!

Wish I lived closer.
    I'm too old to be the guy you're looking for but I would love to pick your brain and learn from you.

17. Cruiser

Cruiser

Old&Low - Sure hope you find the right person, being in the right place at the right time is so very hard. There are guys out there it's just a matter of time tell you find the right person. :D

There was is nice older guy who owned the local NAPA store his store was well respect and always helpful. He had two sons neither of them would step up to the plate and take over for dad. He sold the business and left his money to Charity. As, a young man, I would have jump at the chance to learn from the best and into a turn key business.

CRUISER :cool:

18. Seven kids and twelve grandkids and not a single gearhead in the group ? .... sumptings up!

19. Old&Low

Old&Low

Guys,

Some of the responses I've gotten are just flat 'heart warming;' let me start by clarifying a few things First, I don't want to make a dime out of this. Yes, I'm only 66 and , like "pinkynoegg" mentioned 'there is still plenty of time to let one of them in on the great knowledge I have,' and "the best traits are past down in the family." Problem is , I don't have "20 more years," and my family just isn't interested (other than the 'money potential.) Fact is, I have a degenerative bone disease and 'Agent Orange' nerve damage that is working 'Fast and Furious' that has been 'physician guaranteed' to shorten my life span by "decades." To be specific, I have disintegrating vertebrae that have exposed my spinal chord; I'm 'popping 'Monster' pain killers and working like usual, but one wrong move, as they say, and it's 'over.' Being paralyzed is 'in the cards;' but I don't want to waste the time I have and I'll be damned if I'm going to slow down on the hobby I love. Ginger is 'cool with this' because she's the woman she is. Bottom line is I've got no one interested in 'learning' and I'll give my shit away before I let just anyone have it whose only interest in it is 'making a buck!' Hell, I'll crush it before I let some SOB who doesn't even know what IT is, buy it just to make a dollar on it! Look at my profile; that should 'clue in' any old Ford enthusiast what kind of 'Iron' we're talking about.
    Depending on how far away you are, how dedicated you are, and how convincing you are, age, family responsibilities, etc, Room and Board might even be considered. All I know is my 'Oldies' aren't gonna be 'picked up' for a dime on the dollar at an 'Estate Sale;' I'll give them away first, but not to just any one . . .only to someone who works ON them, For them, and Gives a Damn About Them!

Old&Low
    PS: SAM123 Somethings up alright: it's called two ex-wives before I found the right one; the one that thought (like I did) that not all old cars are junk, and that curtains and make-up aren't the only things worth caring about.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  20. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I'm sorry to hear about the Agent orange damage.That happen to my Grandfather while working in a factory in New Jersey way back when.I wish you were in Alaska or me in NEW Mexico .I don't have any "Car buddies" up here.Well shoot ...Best of luck

21. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

This is only a suggestion as I'm trying to be helpful. Have you talked to the auto shop teacher at your local high school? If kids have at least chosen to take the class then they are at least some sort of a gearhead. However in todays world the whole class might only be interested in working on front wheel drive imports and not traditional hot rods.

22. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

Great idea!!! Check out a couple local HS or 2 year college where they teach automotive

23. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

you would be surprised at how many of those guys also like traditional stuff

24. Old&Low

Old&Low

25. QuarterLifeCrisis

QuarterLifeCrisis
    from NY

John, I sure wish you were in NY. As big as the car enthusiast hobby is here, sometimes I feel like I'm all alone. I'm 27 and my great-grandfather was a mechanic and hot rodder (there are stories of a flathead buried under the shed and a 33 Plymouth encased in concrete when he filled in his grease pit). Unfortunately, the hot rod gene skipped a generation and my grandfather doesn't care much for cars. My father learned a lot about cars from my great-grandfather, but when he passed from Alzheimers before I was born, it became too painful for my dad to wrench on cars because of all of the memories.

Needless to say, I have the gene BADLY. I'd do anything to have a resource like you around here to just watch and learn from. Here's hoping you get the chance to pass on what you know. Take it from me, traditional hot rodding is alive and well in my generation, you just have to weed through an awful lot of oblivious sheep to get to us. Start by revving a worked flathead in front of a Starbucks in your town and see who looks up from their cell phone long enough to notice.

26. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Well it is very good of you to offer this up. None of us know your circumstances and don't have to live through it. Thank you for your service and sacrifice. Make sure Ginger is taken care of[ I'm sure you have] then find a school or org. to leave it to. If no one steps up to work with you. I've been through the family thing a couple times., a ranch and , my upholstery skills. I'd love to mentor someone but it won't happen. We will all keep you in prayer and thoughts. best wishes .. Jack

27. jesse1980

jesse1980

Great that your giving back after already giving do much. Hope it works out for you. I'm 32 and if I lived by you I would be all over the opportunity. I hope my kids come into cars, at least one anyway.

28. Rocket man 88

Rocket man 88

good luck brother.....if I didn't live 3K miles away my 16 year old son would be on your door step! I raised him into "old cars" but I am his father and I can never be right these days, only try and pick on him as far as he is concerned...teenagers...He is however one hell of a little welder and is dedicated to cars...we are talking 8-10 hours in the garage and booth sanding just to see the paint job come out nice..just one hell of a smart ass...hopefully you find some body to fill the boots you need.

29. ryno

ryno

sorry to hear about your health.