Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Ford and Mercury convertibles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tomkelly88, Apr 19, 2013.

1. As some of you know I have this 1940 Ford convertible I picked up at LARS last year, only thing is its missing almost all of the convertible top irons and structure.
    I've recently found a lead on a 40 Mercury convertible top close to where I live in Australia and I thought I'd ask the question:
    Is a 1940 Ford and a 1940 Mercury convertible top interchangeable?

Comparing photos of the two look similar, the merc top doesn't seem as angular around the rear window and looks a little different across the top of the windscreen.
    Any advice?

Attached Files:

2. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

I'll do some investigating.

3. anyone else. bump to the top

4. any one over there have the "Ford Green book" to check part numbers....

5. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

Just by looking at the pictures, I would say no. They have different shapes to them and the side windows are a bit different.

6. lump

lump

I recently bought a 40 Merc convt parts car with LOTS of spare parts. And so I connected with my buddy who has a finished 40 Merc convt street rod. In the process of learning about my car, I was surprised to learn that the Merc is not the same size car at all. The wheel base is different, the body is both wider and longer too. Even the frames will not interchange, as I understand it.

[​IMG]

My buddy with the finished 40 Merc convt is a member here too, and lives within a few miles of my house. I'll have to see if I can remember his Jalopy Journal username, and forward this email to him for a more-educated reply.

PS: No, we did NOT get a top with this car...but we did get a ton of 39-40 Ford and Merc parts, including Ford truck stuff. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

The frame on merc's are longer. To my knowledge, the body is the same from the fire wall back . On my 47 merc the only difference i see is that the fenders are longer all the rest looks like Ford :mad: but mine is a sedan,i wouldn't think old cheep Henry would waste the money on separate tooling for the bows:D great score good luck........jack

8. Can't say I have.

9. WOW, that’s a great score!
    Thanks for the info. I've never had a good look at a real life Mercury convertible.
    Damn, thought I might get lucky with the similarities between the two. If I could get hold of this Mercury top I don't think I could bring myself to cut it up and make it fit, I imagine that they are as hard to find as the Ford tops.

Like you Lump, I didn't realise that they were that different]Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  10. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

I'm afraid you will find that the '40 Ford convertible top is very different from the '40 merc. The green book will not list the top pieces, what you need is the body parts book that ford had for the '40 models--it contains all part numbers for both the '40 Ford and '40 merc cars, including the convertibles. These books are available in a reprint. Check with Mac's or Bob Drake for a copy.

11. 1sic50h

1sic50h
    from San Diego

Do u by chance have a 39 or 40 Merc coupe roof need one for my 40 thanks u can message me . Please let me know thanks . Tony

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

12. lump

lump

Sorry, Tony. We got LOTS of sheet metal for these cars, but no steel roof skins were among them. :( Wish we could help.

13. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

Having owned both a `40 Ford and `40 Merc coupe ... I know that just about all their dimensions are substantially different. I'm assuming the same is true for convertible bodies, and don't think convertible top bows/irons would be interchangeable without mucho modifications.

Not saying it can't be made to work -- just expressing the strongly-held belief that you're not talking about a bolt-on swap.

14. vert1940

vert1940

the tops are definitely different on the merc...longer...wider...the windshield is sloped more....the latches on the winshield header are the same,i believe,but that is about it

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The 39-40 Mercury cars have a longer wheelbase than the same year Fords. The extra length is in the center of the body.
    The 41-48 Mercury cars have a longer wheelbase than the same year Fords. The extra length is in the hood, front fenders forward of the firewall. The Bodies are the same as Fords.

deucemac likes this.
  16. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

17. lump

lump

THERE he is! That's my buddy who owns the beautiful finished '40 Merc convt, and he is the one who really knows the difference between 1940 Fords and 1940 Merc's. Welcome, old friend!

18. just was hoping some parts were the same...

19. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Thanks to all who are posting the info - I have most of an old ITC 1/25 scale '40 Mercury convertible kit (minus the hood and rear bumper) and this will help me to make it look somewhat more accurate.

20. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

The reality is very few things interchange between the two cars …. Almost nothing with the body

21. Great info. Thanks guys much appreciated

22. merccruiser

merccruiser
    from Colorado

I joined the forum this week, so late with a response: My '40 Merc convertible coupe has a 4 inch longer wheel base and is six inches wider at the cowl compared to the '40 Ford. Therefore not interchangeable. Good luck.

23. KStewart

KStewart

My 40 Conv. is stock. I am still trying to find parts that will improve it.It still got a long way to go before I am happy. It will go to my daughter when I am gone.

Attached Files:

24. old daddy

old daddy

a 40 merc is about 8 inches wider in the middle than a 40 ford. However, they both used the same head light doors. That's it.

25. chopmerc32

chopmerc32

26. chopmerc32

chopmerc32

I am looking for a 40 merc conv. project would you be intrested in selling the 40 Merc parts conv my # is 814 659 1000, the 40 merc is all together a different car no parts enterchangeable Dave

deucemac likes this.