Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration cars are built for car guys then there are cars built for non

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidh73750, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Kinky6

Kinky6

Yup, you can tell; wearing the tassel on the wrong side.

Btw, I don't have any tats myself. I spent all my spare money on hot rod parts instead.

I do like to wear black T-shirts for that visually slimming effect, however. :rolleyes:

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

2. cats are pussies.

3. Buzznut

Buzznut

I tend to scoff at the greezer-walkabilly types, but damn if some of those pin-up dames are hot. I'm not into the tat-sleeve look at all, but quite a few of the non-bilboarded dames that play dress-up are lookers. The guys that play "dress-up" likely were the same ones wearing mommies heels around the house as a snot nosed kid...

4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

On Sunday, a Car Guy would rather change his oil than watch "the game" on TV.

5. Glad you said "some".

6. 31-5window

31-5window
    from Michigan

I couldn't agree more you hit the nail on the head. build what you like and have fun.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

7. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Years ago I was at a car show with my fabulous ride and a guy walks up dressed like an insurance exec. fresh off the golf course with his 12/13 year old son, the kid asked "why do they call them Hemi's Dad?" what followed was the best description of an early Hemi's function I ever heard. I was at another car show and tryed to have a conversation with the owner of a Hemi powered rig, I may as well have been saying "bla bla bla bla hemi bla bla" the guy had no idea what I was talking about. Point, you never know who you are talking to.

8. bonechop

bonechop
    from NW Indiana

I have wrenched on and built Harleys for nearly 20 years now. I prefer the purpose built, mild tech, raw customs, and have always hated the Christmas ornament bikes I have seen thru the years, spinners, wings, animal heads etc. Guys who put 50-60k in a bike and NEVER heard it run!!! And all the OCC fans that think that is how they are all supposed to look!!!

ok I am done, sorry. Yes I agree. Thank you.

9. rustang

rustang

... this to me would be like having a super hot girlfriend (or wife), and never having sex with her...... keep it nice for the next guy... :)

10. haychrishay

haychrishay

Amen !!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

11. Buzznut

Buzznut

Almost lost my coffee over this. Had a buddy who had this beautiful arm charm that treated him like crap and never gave it up... problem was that he treated her like a museum piece and she never had any reason to put out any effort...or put out period.

I say, drive the piss out of it...anything you tweak can be fixed, and will likely result in a good story to share with your buddies. And the same goes for your hot rods...

12. whisky runner

whisky runner

ha ha ha ha ..great thread.. i am still trying to figure what it is about..i guess i am or am not a car guy..depending on how far into this thread you read.... i go to alot of shows well mostly swap meets.. not only do i not dress the part, have forgotten more than i ever knew, saved over 300 old cars to sell as parts as my retirement plan, so i must be way short on brains too........ humm maybe i am a car guy after all..

13. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

I build my cars for little old ladies and young kids. If they like it.. I'm all good!

14. Sounds like a Saturday night at Richard D's.

15. fsae0607

fsae0607

What I meant was that if you wrench long enough, it's inevitable that your hands will show a few scars. There's just some automotive work that is very difficult to accomplish while wearing gloves. Sometimes you have no choice but to work bare-handed, so yeah you're going to get them dirty and roughed up. A good example off the top of my head is Jay Leno. He's a "car guy" and he's on TV. I've watched his show on Hi-def TV and could see his rough hands with dirty fingernails.

Hey if you can swap an engine or do some metal fab and keep your hands pristine, awesome! I get happy on mondays when I'm back at work and can see the grease under my fingernails, because it reminds me of working on my project over the weekend! :D

Could not have said this better. :cool:

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was my take and it's pretty well true for the most part. The guy who has the kids for visitation time for the weekend packs them out to the rod show because he can keep them somewhat entertained for a few hours even though he isn't really into old cars. The flashy car with lots of loud paint and a big chrome engine and big tires gets his and the kids attention most of the time.

I've got a ton of car guy buds who almost all have different tastes in cars. One goes nuts over the wild and garish rigs with blowers or tunnel rams sticking up above the roof and 15 inch wide rear tires and any car or truck he really likes is "radical" He won't much notice a sharp little A-V8 highboy roadster with a flathead though. He also likes the rat rods and the crappier the better. Another is only into mid/late 60's muscle cars and wouldn't care if there are ten former AMBR winners lined up side by side, he will walk right past them without a look to see some "restored" Roadrunner.

I'm not into the "lifestyle car guy" thing but as often as not I have a black T shirt on simply because it doesn't show the coffee I dripped on it wheeling down the road like some light color would. I usually don't buy white or light color rod run shirts at events because they stain and they make me look like and old fat guy in an undershirt from behind.

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Those are the folks who watch "Fast & Loud", "American Hotrodder" and the like. They're the ones who actually think a car can be built in 6 weeks and all shops have drama. I run into them all the time. They think ANYTHING without fenders is a "ratrod". They're the ones that ask what year my Deuce is and I drive a T Bucket.:confused: I'm always polite and correct while informing, but when they go on and on, while displaying NO knowledge of old cars, I cut the conversation short with a lie of an excuse. They'll never get it or understand it.

In the information world we live in, there's no excuse for being totally oblivious. All they have to do is look it up on Google. So, I don't waste too much time on them.

There's an asshat at my regular auto parts store, who is a customer. He's always trying to get me to race him. He's actually gotten nasty about it. If I were younger, I'd smoke his ass, but he's not worth it. His vehicle? A 2 ton SUV with "rims and lo-pro's". I've nicely tried to explain that even basic physics makes his winning impossible. But he insist his 2003 400HP:confused:, STOCK Chevy Suburban land boat is faster than my 1,700 LB car. I just ignore him now. Sometimes, I laugh in his face.

So, ignore the TV hotrodders. They're not worth a glance, much less the time.

18. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I build for me....unless your payin;)

19. indyjps

indyjps

One of the most bad ass drag racers I've ever met, high 8 sec street car, drove to the track with slicks on a little lawn trailer. This guy had 4 cams in the crane catalog that were his spec grinds and was doing r&d for them. Saw him rebuid his stick at the track. No one would doubt he's a true car guy. He wore khakis and polos to the track and looked and talked like an IT guy.

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Oh shit! This thread is about fashion? I wear a few black t-shirts because they don't show grease. Sometimes I'll stop working on my car to go to the store. I like to at least look clean, when I'm at the grocers.

Black Levi's because of the above reason and for some reason, they're the only ones I can find in my size at the mall. 33W 36L. Hard to find here.

21. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

HERE, wanna be identified as a real car guy? heres my proven method, which can't fail. First get the old shirt you've been using to polish your car, next get an old pair of jeans but don't wash, sprinkle a small amount of battery acid down one leg (avoid the crotch area, as this might have legal consequences later) now get a quart of old used gear oil, maybe a pint of burnt trans fluid. next take the gear oil and pour it down your front, this simulates you pulling an axle and it fell into the drain pan, now sprinkle the trans fluid over yourself take a small amount of grease and smear it on your shirt. Bingo youer a car guy. O send me $559.95 for my complete kit while they last

22. fsae0607

fsae0607

ahahaha you just reminded me when my wife first smelled gear lube in my garage she thought I farted!

23. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Nuff said.

24. LongT

LongT

That would get my attention!!

25. So what if I DO wear black t-shirts, blue jeans and Chuck Taylors 99% of the time? I usually have a flat top haircut, as well. I have a couple of tattoos and I actually LIKE doo-wop music and rockabilly. I've had the same fashion sense for the last 30 years. Occasionally it all comes around again, and I look like a trendsetter!

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Sounds like you know how to party:p

27. This shit is getting crazy! Car guys? I didn't get the scrars from stationary,or typing. WTF? And my clothes? Same as mentioned above- Black,dark,holes,stains....A car guys threads....-But, that's work shit.
    Some are in cognito,but a true gearhead doesn't have perfectly cuffed levi's,and a ton of shit in his /her hair. Can't remember the last time I sported anything resembling Hawaii'an. Maybe in the 80's,but that was a HS thing.
    Some buy,WE build,the rest follow like sheep........

28. G'day all, I guess I can't be a car guy. I have a grey persian cat and a tan ragdoll cat. They love to curl up in the clean laundry and black shirts would just show all the fur. I prefer to wear the Disney shirts my wife gets me. Preferably the "Grumpy" ones. I don't know why she always get me "Grumpy" shirts. Hmmm. Can I please still be a car guy. I am a horrible pack rat and have hoarded tons of neat stuff?

ms

29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not the looks or the dress code. It's what they say whether it's to you or their friend, and if they know what the hell they're talking about. Frankly, I think stupid is the real pandemic in our country and a plague on society in general. The morons are everywhere and dress all kind of different ways. Also, who are we to judge their stupidity in the 1st place. It's always best to enjoy it somehow. Give the mouthbreathers some bullshit info and watch them become experts. The one that tells his buddy or orca-betty how your Model A was the 1st V-8 ever produced, agree with him, compliment his supreme knowledge on automotive history. There's nothing any of us can do to save society from it's own ignorant doom. TV experts outnumber the google experts. "Jesse James built one exactly like this! I thought it was his!" "It is, I bought it from him in the divorce sale when he broke up with Sandy." "Really?" "Oh yeah. I knew him when he was just startin out. Wanna talk to him? He's on my phone here, just a min..." Then you call your house and it doesn't answer. "Oh well, maybe next time."

Enjoy it my friends. Ya can't save em all and many are simply NOT worth saving. As to "real" car guys, there's maybe 10% of the masses that see my work for what it is at any given venue. Those are the ones I'm interested in hearing from. The rest are there to see what I chose to "entertain them" with and could care less about the details. Make it all as fun as you can because the alternative means you're starting to show symptoms of the new pandemic...

30. boutlaw

boutlaw

Damn, I can't believe I read all this. I should have stopped with "chopolds" comments. Pretty much says it for me.

Excuse me, I've gotta go soak my hands to try and get the moly cam lube outta all the cracks so I'll look purdy in my new black Gas Monkey T at the cruise-in tomorrow night.

BOutlaw
    _________________________________________________________-
    I ain't dead yet!