Register now to get rid of these ads!

coolant tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bmita, Apr 19, 2013.

1. bmita

bmita

does anyone make a coolant recovery tank that is not aluminum or stainless? all i can find is the polished stuff. any ideas

2. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Not sure what you're looking for but you can anodize or powder coat aluminum or stainless to the color of your choice.

[​IMG]

3. rustang

rustang

Get one of the aluminum ones and sandblast it for a matte look. Or have it anodized or powdercoated as noted above...
    Tom

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I've used small gas tanks off small engines, like generators, old ones are steel, with nice old time shapes.

5. I'm setting one up on my 40 chevy using an old brass automotive fire extinguisher , drilling out the fill plug on top and fitting the overflow tube into it with a tap and a flare nut

6. Deloc

Deloc

I have had good luck with old Volvo tanks. They are aprox. 3 1/2 " dia. x approx. 12" long, plastic. I have one on a 350 sbc. Use one from 140 series Volvos '67-'75. They have an easy to adapt bracket also.
    Deloc

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

The race car parts suppliers make them out of abs / plastic. Cheap, light, bound to get destroyed / disposable, and don't need to be polished. Google for them. Gary

8. A lot of guys have used beer cans,old small brass fire extinguisher and even glass bottles,I know I saw a old aluminum military canteen yesterday that Gene Cromer used on the Moonlighter. HRP

9. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Check out E-Bay there are several types available.

10. Sounds like that's a bit R wordish to me.

So op wants non aluminum, non stainless, non shiny catch tank.
    Well there'd be millions of plastic ones in the bone yard. Glass bottles or Mason jars at the flea market

What about a 2" or so copper pipe with caps and a bung?
    Should be able to get all you need at the local plumbing house. That could be cool

11. atomickustom

atomickustom

They sell plastic ones at every parts store in the country.

12. I used this piece on my 52 Dodge. The sticker shown in the picture wasn't on the tank. I painted it black so it would blend in the engine bay.

Put a hose fitting on the bottom and feed the coolant into that port. Put a vented radiator cap on the top. It acts as an expansion and recovery tank for my sealed cooling system.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-63655

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell a length of straight exhaust pipe, a pair of freeze plugs and a couple of fittings and a length of tubing and you have one made in about 30 minutes before painting it your color of choice. Just eyeball how the fancy aluminum ones are made and make your own.

14. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I usually build my own out of exhaust tubing,flat plate and brake line.You can make it what ever length you want with a piece of line going almost to the bottom,coming out of the top plate for the rad hose and a piece out the side for over flow.I drill and tap the bottom plate for a petcock to drain it.

15. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i made one from a stainless water bottle , jb welded it to a fabricated aluminum bracket..total cost under 3,00 . looks bitchin.

16. punisher7

punisher7

I like the copper pipe idea!

17. Well I certainly dont consider my AV8 to be a r**r*d, but a beer can does me just fine. Gets a lot of amused comments too.

18. That's what I did and used one of those large electrical conduits brackets to mount it ....Works perfect!

19. The biggest mistake folks make with coolant recovery tanks is they aren't big enough, including those store bought round stainless ones. A radiator can easily push close to a quart of water out when you shut the motor off and it heat soaks. If it pushed more out than the capacity of the bottle, when it cools and sucks water back in, it will also suck air in and the radiator won't be full and you chance circulating more air bubbles. If you're going to bother having one, make it big enough to do some good - about 1 Qt. is right.

20. DavidP

DavidP

I was going to try to adapt one of the GM oil filter canisters to keep everything looking vintage under the hood of my 54 Caddy, but after looking at some of the Dorman replacement Coolant Recovery Tanks online (Ebay) ... I'll be looking at picking up one from a Honda / Toyota Pickup or Civic from the local wreckers and mount it behind the radiator support to keep it hidden out of the way ...

They seem to be designed to mount/bolt on a flat surface ...

I'll start out by leaving it the natural colour ... but if its too obvious ... I'll just paint it to match the radiator support ...

Attached Files:

21. cryobug

cryobug

This is what I do. They are cheap to make and work great!

22. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

I used some 2" PVC. Glue a slip cap on the bottom, thread on cap on the top, add a fitting near the bottom to go to the radiator, another fitting near the top as an overflow and you're good to go.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bobby

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  23. milner142790

milner142790

My pickle jar works great! Just put a fitting in the lid with a pick up tube to almost the bottom. Had overheating issue till I put that in and now nothing! And I don't think it's RR like at all

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. Here is one I did out of an old Squeeze Soda bottle. I did another one out of an old oil can.

Attached Files:

25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Glass jars or bottles look nice, but I always feel a bit uneasy using glass near moving engine parts. Probably not a issue, but I wonder if a belt broke, or something flew apart if glass might get broken?
    I make mine from metal containers that I find at swap meets or wherever. My last one was an old test gas container that I found at work. It holds about 24 oz. of fluid, and just required a minerallac strap to attach to the radiator support, and a bushing for the top to accept a hose. Cheap, and looks nice too.

26. bgaro

bgaro

i've got an antique bicycle pump with a brass top. i cut it to length and shoved a freeze plug in the bottom.

27. earlymopar

earlymopar

There were hundreds of thousands of glass "sediment bowls" used on the fuel lines of tractors, trucks and passenger cars for decades. -EM

Glass jars or bottles look nice, but I always feel a bit uneasy using glass near moving engine parts. Probably not a issue, but I wonder if a belt broke, or something flew apart if glass might get broken?

28. Hi guys, I used a vintage 1943 40mm MK1 brass artillery shell for mine. Used a rubber cork stopper on top, drilled for the inlet/return line and a relief line as well.

fab'd a couple of steel circlular type band brackets (not all shown) for mounting. I cut small, matchnig rubber gaskets and lined the brackets on the inside with them to help prevent any corrision from forming from the dis-similar metals.

IMG_1046.JPG IMG_1047.JPG IMG_1049.JPG

Most people never even pick up on that fact of what is originally was. ;)

29. fsae0607

fsae0607

Guilty as charged. I'm using a Jack Daniels bottle. Before I catch flak I at least have it hidden so you really have to look. I have it sitting on the frame rail tucked next to the rad.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. This very old bottle is much thicker than what's used today. Been on the car a couple of years now.