Register now to get rid of these ads!

Opinions, please: Ocala, FL or Texas Hill Country?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemi325, Apr 18, 2013.

1. My wife and I are retired and thinking about a move to either the Ocala, FL, area or the Texas hill country. We've done a bunch of research on weather, cost of living, etc....the usual stuff, and have visited both places several times. Any and all opinions from HAMBers on either area are welcome.

Many thanks.

Steve

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I'm obviously prejudiced toward Florida, but I also know a lot of people who live in Texas and swear by it. I guess it all depends on what you like and the kind of lifestyle you want to live. We guys pretty much can be happy anywhere, but what does Mama think ?

Don

3. belair

belair

I've lived in the Hill Country-Kerrville, Buchanan Dam, Brady (almost the H.C.) since 1986. It's pretty, water is a growing concern in some areas, it's hot in the summer, and fairly humid. Land is going up every day, and people are moving in. The rural life isn't for every one. I never lived in a big city, so I can't speak to that. Cedar (juniper, really) and oak pollen can be brutal to allergies. It's beautiful, the winters are mild, and the people are great. I love it.

4. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Florida is home to me. But its been said if mommas not happy aint nobody happy.

5. All my friends live in texas, even some in the Hill Country. I really like Texas but Belair is right, people are moving in and in time will screw it up. I have to admit, I'm an west coast expatriate but I went to Oklahoma instead, a great state with a bad rap or connotation. Close enough to visit often but far enough away to avoid the congestion.

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

Why Ocala? For me the Florida Pan Handle is Gods country without the crowds.

7. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

Texas Hill Country! You'd only be a few hours away from the new Formula One track, Steve!

8. derelict

derelict

I've been to both, stay away from Florida the hii county is really nice...

9. jesse1980

jesse1980

10. davidh73750

davidh73750

being a car enthusiast. do you keep a few cars? maybe a few parts cars?
    Im from oklahoma and live here now. I've lived in kansas city, laredo tx. My dad lives in Austin. I've taken time off in the hill country and its very nice. I can't remember if kerrville or borne was more touristy but they are nice places. I grew up going to pensacoloa florida. Beaches were awesome but can imagine it costs a lot more to live there and salty air is hard on sheetmetal

11. ironpile

ironpile

I cant recommend a perfect place to live,I`ve spent some time in several different climates.None of them perfect,serious weather problems anywhere you go. I would say if you are convicted about a place ,do it and good luck:D

12. Texas! It's hot, was once it's own country, it's hot, good food, it's hot, fewer hurricanes than Fla., it's hot, we've got bluebonnets, it's hot, Blue Bell Ice Cream, it's hot, Austin "Live Music", it's hot, DFW night life, it's hot, South Padre beaches, it's hot, Houston culture, it's hot, to quote Gary P. Nunn "the friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen." And did I mention it's hot?

[​IMG]

13. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

No hurricanes in the Hill Country

14. Texas hill country for sure(if ya like the ocean it's only 3 hours away) Hot in the summer but beautiful, safe, killer places to eat, lots of history and sights. San Antonio and Austin areas are close and great place to visit and dozens of quaint little towns hidden in the hills. When traveling across country I'm always proud to have Texas tags on the vehicle! Better hurry though as people are moving here like crazy to escape from most everywhere!

15. captmullette

captmullette

I second that, and water front property is really cheep now with the market down........and not crowded, my county has 1 red light

16. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I say base your desision on the size of Rattle Snake you can handle. Geez I hate snakes!

17. rsluggoboy

rsluggoboy
    from SALINAS CA

If you have a lot of money,Come to California central coast, its great here.

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Do they have fire ants in Texas? Otherwise it's a toss up cept for size, me thinks. I live in central FL and it takes half a day or more just to get to another state. Depending on your direction, it might be 3 days to leave Texas behind! Gary

19. RamJet1

RamJet1

Technically, it's Boerne, and it's nice here. Humid and hot, but when I visited Florida the same could be said there as well.
    The hill country does have less natural disasters, there are some nice swap meets and cruises to attend, some fun and twisty roads here and there. Property is relatively inexpensive, and there isn't any state income tax. Car registrations are inexpensive as well, and no smog checks, just safety inspections, and they are not burdensome. Pretty classic-car friendly.
    The main con is that it takes forever to get out of the state driving, should you feel the need to do that. It takes about 8 hours taking I-10 to get to New Mexico if you want to go west, even with an 80mph speed limit for a good portion of the way. East is less, out the top about the same or a little less.
    But, there's a lot to see and do here, and most indigenous Texans that I've met down here have never left the state unless they were/are military.
    Hope any of that rambling is helpful.

20. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I would move to Tennessee and visit Texas and Florida.

21. If you ever come to Texas, you'll never leave. Winter in Texas is better than summer everywhere else. Having said that...You really might want to consider Oklahoma. I spend a lot of time around the Tulsa area. I could happily live there.
    Beautiful scenery, and wonderful people. I'm gonna get flamed by all the natives, but I like to think of Oklahoma as an extension of Texas.

22. Just depends on what you like

Weather:
    Tornados 110-300 mph winds, no storm surge, less than a mile wide
    Hurricanes up to about 180 max, much wider

Critters:
    Texas: Poisonous snakes, small mosquitoes
    Florida, smaller poisonous snakes, and our lizards come in 2 varieties, Small, brown and cute and big enough to eat dogs. Mosquitoes, same varieties as lizards.

People:
    In Florida we let our people do all sorts of stupid things and let most of them live.
    Texas, not so much.

Places to go:
    Florida doesn't have an Austin... But we have a Don Garlits
    Texas doesn't have a 6' mouse for the grandkids.

Bushes... Both have had one as a governor.

Current governors:
    Texas, Not a criminal
    Florida, criminal

Hot rods:
    Florida has LOTS of them painted like the hotels in Miami, and they gather in Daytona Thanksgiving weekend, We don't let them into Billetproof in Ocala.
    Texas has the LSRU.

23. BigIrish

BigIrish

I've lived in both FL and TX, but I'd definitely say TX. The climate is hot and humid in both places, but TX is it's own culture entirely.

Old-school manners and values, people are friendly as can be. FL is nice but you get a ton of transplants from the north east, some of whom bring their north east attitudes with them.

I'm from VA, but I'll never leave TX if I can help it. There's a great vibe here - it's generally pro "do whatever the hell you want" as long as you aren't bothering anyone else too much. Hot rods welcome. I've met some of the richest people I've ever known here, but you would never know it. Everyone is very down to earth, cordial.

It's refreshing coming from places with tons of rules/restrictions/taxes and big government. Texans don't much care for restrictions.

24. Voh

Voh

Texas...I was born in Michigan, moved here after college. started in San Antonio, now live just north in New Braunfels. Its the perfect town to bail out into the hills! I love it

25. Texas has concealed gun permits, Oklahoma has "Open Carry" permits! I'm real happy to be in Oklahoma with Texas as my Neighbor.

20 acres, 5,000 sq ft house 15 acre lake for the price of a California track home.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  26. I will take a hurricane over a tornado any day.

27. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I believe with a hurricane you can get both.

28. Working on my 63rd year in Texas....wouldn't live anywhere else. "Where Bob Wills is still the King".

29. castirondude

castirondude

It's all about what's the most important for you. Personally I only consider states with no income tax - not so much because of the money but because they seem to only use the money to hire a bunch of clowns to come bother you.

Texas is nice, I live about half an hour from austin city limits. Land is still affordable here, there are still quite a few 5 acre tracts for $30-50k depending on how nice they are. Drag in a mobile home and you can live cheap. As far as I know the county does need a permit but it's like $200 and they don't even show up. That's the kind of place I want to live.

But i'll second the other concerns about folks moving in FAST and mostly from the left coast, so I know in due time it will get screwed up. We are certainly keeping an open mind about moving again. But, right now the going is good and we are enjoying it.
    Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

30. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

You won't find this in Florida but you might in the Hill Country.:D

Attached Files: