Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much will this go for?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fatrod, Apr 17, 2013.

1. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Agree with 35 Dodge Hot Rod...

2. WOW! do I hear 1,500,000:rolleyes:

3. This has turned into a thread that's more about "do you like the car or not?" and....

"do you agree with wealthy folks pouring over a million into a car?"

My bottom line is, and harsh reality of the car building industry is...if the car doesn't speak to the right buyer at the right time, two things can happen...the seller either takes a loss and sells, or doesn't sell at all.

However, if you hit the right buyer, and they're moved by the car and the story behind it, the sky's the limit...regardless of the money that went into the car in the first place.

My opinion is that this car is not worth the sum of its parts and time, because it just doesn't speak to me...

That being said...If this was Spencer's vision come true...then that's just a really nice gesture to the legend...no matter how you slice it.

And yes, I generally agree with others in saying that spending over a million to build a car is wack.... and many of us can agree that some of the ugliest, weirdest, complete misses in modern history have been $1-million plus builds.

However, there are many exceptions....attached is one of those exceptions!! I'm not aware of the build budget on this...but I dare say it's over $1m...Troy's 36-First Love...2006 Ridler Winner

Attached Files:

• g85.jpg
      g85.jpg
      File size:
      213.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  4. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Maybe. What's the provenance of your '32? Did Henry Ford himself personally hammer the body out by hand?...or perhaps an image of Jesus in the paint job?

5. jimpopper

jimpopper

Every time I take one of my rides out to a show and someone asks me if I will sell it, I reaffirm why I own my cars and they are enjoying looking at other people's efforts. If you build your own cars, you really know that no one else will pay you for the effort you expended so, enjoy your efforts and never consider your work as an investment.

6. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

I don't know what it will bring, but I have two close friends that will be there selling a 64 Comet Gasser with a 427 SOHC so I guess I'll find out.

But my guess is that it will be a "no sell".

7. cheveey57

cheveey57

Waaaaaaay more than it's worth.

8. kennb

kennb

I have no idea what it will bring. At auction there are plenty of wealthy people who would love to have that car just to put in their coral just to look at. Truthfully I'd rather have a car that I could show to someone and say hop in and beat the shit out of it and not worry about tearing it up. 1.3 million can get you a couple of nice cars.
    Ken

9. Once when I was welding something on my 32 I thought I saw Elvis:eek:

10. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

You might have something then. I'm pretty sure a '32 Ford roadster haunted by Elvis would be worth every bit of 1.5 million. Well wait.. Was it early Elvis or later jumpsuit Elvis?

11. Jumpsuit:confused:

12. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Damn gold chainer... I bet you you dont have 1.3 m in that on:De. She is beautiful.

13. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Nothing dumber looking than independent front suspension on a fenderless rod. Some fool with more money than sense will buy it, but 1.3 million? Be real.

14. wizzard23

wizzard23

HOTRODDIN.......... I think your signature says it all!

15. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

too much thats for sure

16. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

All it needs to make it worth whatever it goes for is a winterfront grill and some e&j headlights.. bwahahahah

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

No F'ing way.

18. Dar73

Dar73

Troys 36 was WELL into seven figures. It's not a car it's a piece of handsculped art.

However.... I think this will get to the 2-300 thousand range, that is assuming they start the bidding low enough. My 2 cents.

19. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I can dig the car (minus the IFS). It will never be driven enough though.

20. randy

randy

Where's the integrity?!? You build a '32 ford with IFS and it isn't even Fiberglass!?! C'mon man!

21. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

that car has nothing to do with tradition or hot rodding---most would prefer jakes version of the neicamp roadster---majority opinion WHO CARES...

22. modified1927

modified1927

I have an issue with no dropped axle, I mean it's still a redesigned Pinto front end, I agree with GassersGarage. It will probably end up in the Peterson Museum at least for a while.

23. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I think hotroddon put it all in the proper perspective. Thank you for your well thought out and posted responses.

24. jesse1980

jesse1980

Later jump suit I'm sure. Lol

25. No F'ing way this was over a mil?

or no F'ing way this is an exception to the high dollar flops?

Like I said...I don't think there's every been a public disclosure of the budget for that car...but some articles have hinted around the issue and published the hours into the car. I forget the exact number of hours...but I do remember that it was a ridiculous number of hours that left the reader thinking...this thing had to be over a mil :D

26. Who cares,,it ain't traditional,,it's a street rod!:rolleyes: HRP

27. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

***yawn***

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. not even CLOSE to a redesigned Pinto front end, just because it is a IFS doesn't make it Pinto or Mustang II based. Doane designed this front suspension and your comments are a bit of an insult to his memory. Look at the A Arms, no where near Pinto form or geometry, not to mention inboard shocks.
    You must realize that this was a guy who really understood suspensions - just look at the work he did on his Sunbeam Tiger, the famous IMSA DeKon Monza's, Some Lamborghini's, Shelby Mustang and many other cars. Doane was not stuck in a Traditional World but was a forward thinker who was Always pushing the envelope.

29. thunderplex

thunderplex

...me too, it has more character!

...sent from my Droid device in the back seat of a Greyhound bus, ...rolling down highway 41.