Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects **** The Chemical City Coupe '32 5-window build thread ****

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddy_o's_diner, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Dave,
    It's great to see it on the road, nearly! It looks so mean. I'm chuffed for you. Don't know how you are sleeping at nights though!! I know what you mean about chasing hiccups, just spun a bearing in my engine, oh well, they're hot rods :)
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Hey, that place looks familiar! I wonder where I could find one of those "perfect" front axles? Sure looks good here. Gary

3. Jerry_Rolls&Pleats

Jerry_Rolls&Pleats
    from Europe

Chuck Vranas really is a top photographer. His photos of the Chemical City Coupe appear in the latest Rolls & Pleats (#39):

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

The car looks super neat, you guys have done a amazing job in such a short time.
    What is the plan for the roof ? , later on I will need to sort it out on my car and find some kind of soft top and trim around it.

Ps, I think it looks mean without the wheel-caps. If that was mine I would run without them but thats just me ;)

5. cw

cw
    from Midland

Hey Dave, Do you think you can drive slow enough for me to follow in my truck?

6. Thanks for the coverage Jerry. I can't wait to get my issues.

Thanks. The top is figured out. It is a snap-on vinyl cover that is removeable. In the pic above it is removed. In the one below it is installed.

[​IMG]

It is not completely water-tight, but I love the ability to remove it for some summer-time cruising. I will also run the car with and without the wheel discs and even with a set of magnesium wheels. I'll also play around with removing the hood sides and even the whole hood at times. I can pull off several different looks with the car.

Love your build BTW. Your workmanship is incredible!

Chris, do you mean drive slow enough to Iowa for the Torquefest or around town??? I'd love to cruise around town with you and the truck, but when I go on a road trip, I'll be makin' some serious tracks. ;)

7. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Getting there. Looks really cool out driving

8. Still getting her sorted out for the trip to the Vintage Torque fest in a little over a week.

The damn Halibrand Quickie won't play nice. It's coming back apart tonight. Again...

uploadfromtaptalk1366659199687.jpg

As soon as we get this sorted out we should be as good as gold.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

9. millersgarage

millersgarage

until the next thing.....:rolleyes:

10. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

those damn quick changes are only made to turn left !:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

11. Dave50

Dave50

Its not the quickie, it`s that you got the rear tires Inside out :D:D
    They all have there issues that need attending, Cant wait to hear your reply after the first road trip!!! :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  12. That may be true, but from the rear-view, nothing says " RACECAR" louder than an elegantly designed minimalist pushbar and quickchange...you could show that to your Aunt Betty and she would say " Oh Honey, that MUST be a racecar..." Oh Hell yeah...that thang looks TITS. :cool:

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I thought about warning you Dave about the little gremlins that hide out in a new hot rod...................but the thought of you missing out on all of the "fun" made me keep my mouth shut. Now, if I had known that Jo was the one that was going to suffer through all of the "teething issues" I would have at least given you a hint of what was to come. Doesn't seem fair that he gets all of the grief and the only thing you have to contend with is a wallet that just keeps getting more comfortable to sit on as the days go by.:eek::rolleyes::D

Frank

14. .

Just a little update...

The rear end is going back together tonight. Here's hoping all is okay this time around. Jo and I leave for the Vintage Torquefest on Thursday morning.

I can't wait to make the trip. I'm dying to drive this thing!!!

15. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

16. .

Quick Change done...

uploadfromtaptalk1367069720648.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1367069737660.jpg

Tranny done...

uploadfromtaptalk1367069770893.jpg

Some assembly required.

I can't wait for Thursday.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

17. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

18. .

I'm headed down to Indy this afternoon to get behind the wheel of the coupe for the first time time. To say I'm a little excited is an understatement.

After a last-minute rebuild of the tranny and a second complete rebuild of the quick change we think we are good to go.

The plan is to road test some more today and head out to Iowa for the Torque Fest tomorrow morning.

ROADTRIP!!! :D:D:D

19. millersgarage

millersgarage

I wish you luck on your trip.

Some of the best memories are made on a road trip.

20. Good Luck.... are ya gonna make a pass at Billetproof

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Wait wait wait.....you mean you're driving this one to the show??!!! You're blowing my mind right now. :D:D:D

Good luck and congrats.

22. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Great to hear that's it's done. Have a great trip. We won't be able to slap the smile off your face ( but we will try! ).
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

23. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

Cars are made to drive, glad to see some miles are going to be put on her.

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

We'll need pictures of the trip out or it didn't happen. Word of advice: make sure when you take pictures of the trip the trailer isn't in the frame before snapping the shutter.:eek::D

Frank

25. .

BEEP, BEEP, BEEP...

That is the sound of me backing the truck up.

Well, we finally got the drivetrain sorted out and went on a road test, only to find out no brakes!

All new parts with no leaks yet the pedal goes away AGAIN! The first master cylinder on the car was defective and was replaced by the supplier. The replacement ended up being no better than the first one. So in a last minute scramble we steal a master cylinder off another car and get the brakes bled. We got to take a 5 mile road test about 10:00 last night. All seems well, but I'm not comfortable roadtripping the car without driving it a few hours around town first.

I was so disappointed that I almost threw in the towel on the whole trip, especially with the shitty weather forecast. I got a decent nights sleep and decided to make the trip anyways. I'm really looking forward to my first VTF and to meeting more hamb guys and gals.

So the plan for today is to road test the car again and then tidy it up a little before loading it into the "trailer of shame". I'll shoot some video of the car today and will try to post as time permits.

26. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Ahh, Gremlins, they are still alive and well. Although not as much fun, it is probably prudent to haul it, especially having problems still. Have Fun!

27. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I'm glad you are still going, the show will be fun I'm sure, much better to not push it if there's a level of uncertainty... there'll be plenty more shows to run to, I do feel your pain though....
    Glad it's going!

28. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

There's plenty of summer left to enjoy it once the bugs are worked out. Just don't bring the Trailer of Shame to the Wanigan, I want to hear that Nailhead!

29. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I am looking forward to meeting both you and your coupe.

I will have the old "warehouse find" Forty Ford coupe on display in the building.

have a wonderful trip.

Bob

30. Hang in there Dave...that's one thing about living in the frigid Midwest....we don't drive em for a few months...they get mad.. I'm having electrical issues with mine right now, nothing better then seeing 80 degrees and you can drive what was a running driving car when ya parked it