Register now to get rid of these ads!

265 SBC Crate Engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fivewindow Johnnie, Nov 11, 2009.

1. slammed

slammed

If a guy questions why the choice of a 265/283/327/ over a '350', he really does not understand this web site.

2. Here are a couple more shots of the engine. Someone ask what was done, well here goes...

The short block was taken down, the cylinders honed for a good and proper crosshatch pattern, it got new rings and bearings and was reassembled with an .097 cam. Power pack heads with a small port, small runner intake. Other than that, a good oil pump, distributor, and early rams horn exhaust manifolds.

It's no super powerhouse, but it sounds great, and is very responsive. You need to understand, my house sits at about 8000' elevation above sea level, so getting to run right was first and foremost. We're gonna drive it !

The first objective overall was to do no harm to the '36 Roadster. It is too important a car, to me at least, to butcher. That little Chevy was meant to fit right where a flathead did, and it does ! The car as a whole will be another thread soon.........

Also, nobody will ever confuse it with a 350, and it is NOT dressed up with new parts. The earlier pic had a set of 6 fin valve covers in place temporarily, I removed the pic to cease the speculation. Am still prepping the early Cal Custom 7 fin covers, sitting on the engine in these pics. They will be on by the end of the week.

And to the few who don't "get it", just let me quote this:

"The experience of hot rods cannot be explained substantially to those unfamiliar. It cannot be shared with the unfeeling, it cannot be defined without prior knowledge. It's either a part of you or it isn't and nothing can change that. Such is the nature of the soul and such is the way of the hot rod."

We couldn't explain it to you anyways................

Johnnie.

Attached Files:

3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Well put, Johnnie.

4. Cal Method, a racers racer. He was known for his 352 Fords back in the day, he campaigned a very successful '54 Ford maybe around 1970 or so.

Bob

5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

For the Ford guys who think this engine is cool! [like me] How can you visually pic one out of a sbc line up?

6. onedge

onedge

Motor mount from the front of block not on the side of the block. Think of a Hurst mount if you have seen one. No side motor mount bosses.

Glad to see this thread back around.

7. Correct, no motor mounts on this block. And, I just happened to have a really nice, ol' Hurst front plate mount, so that's what we used.

Johnnie.

8. 18n57

18n57

Just went on a 2300 mile road trip; 265 ran perfectly!! Really nice '36 you have there. Good Luck!

9. LOVE that! Who are you quoting?

10. Have absolutely no idea......I hang on to so much of this type thing by copy & pasting it into an e-mail, then sending it to myself. It could even have been from the H.A.M.B.

But can tell you this, it was damn sure worth keeping. Have sent it to many Hot Rod guys, who go, "that's it".

Johnnie.

11. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Very nice, whats the particulars on your intake, oil filler and pcv set-up? Thanks in advance.

12. It's pretty simple, a breather at the front of the intake, at the top of the oil filler tube. A standard style PCV valve on the top of the block at the rear, piped to a vacuum port on the back of the carburetor.

Fresh air in the front, stale air out the back................

Johnnie.

13. And to the few who don't "get it", just let me quote this:

"The experience of hot rods cannot be explained substantially to those unfamiliar. It cannot be shared with the unfeeling, it cannot be defined without prior knowledge. It's either a part of you or it isn't and nothing can change that. Such is the nature of the soul and such is the way of the hot rod."

We couldn't explain it to you anyways................

Johnnie.[/QUOTE]

Now thats good.. i wanna get it tattooed :eek::D lol

14. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Here is some pic of a 55 265 no oil filter no mounts on the side,I had it and it was a new motor 30 over decided to go with a side mount motor I had and sold it to a friend who put it in a 55:D and he loves it.Good motors .Great find good luck.I see your running a water pump riser on the motor.Did you have to use it or did you just choose to.I have a 36 coupe had it mocked up with a Griffin Radiator ,grille and hood and a short pump and a 15 or 16 inch flex fan.But I cut the cross member out for a mustang II is that the differance?I guess I will have to cross that when I get to it.

Attached Files:

15. shop teacher

shop teacher

I was a Chevy parts guy in the 70's and GM would send the dealer a warehouse sale flyer. You would look over all the part numbers and indicate what you wanted. They would send you what wanted. Plenty of old and high performance short blocks and partial engines. Not much interest with the price of gas doubling to .50 a gallon!
    I did get a lot of parts free. All the dealerships went to a computerized inventory and parts sitting more than a year were scrapped out. A lot of chevy green & yellow boxes with layers of dust went into the dumpster.

16. Very Cool Find! I would love to have it!

17. onedge

onedge

Just passing through checking and smiling:)

18. Won't say we HAD to, but it helped with the fan, and everything seemed to line up better with that configuration.

Johnnie.

19. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

just wondering ,did you put hardened valve seats in the heads.car and motor look great!congrats! how many folks do think you'll have to explain to what a "265" is? great job

20. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

----------
    Not this one!

Mart3406
    ==================

21. Thanks so much, am very happy with the way it's coming together.

No hardened valve seats, just a little MMO in the gasoline at fill-ups.

Have no idea how many will even ask, Am sure, to the unknowing, it will be "just another sbc". Hot Rod guys won't have to have it explained, they'll just know.

Johnnie.