Register now to get rid of these ads!

265 SBC Crate Engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fivewindow Johnnie, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Cool find! I have a complete 265, dated nov. 54 so its an early one that I have on display as Chevy's first V-8. Speaking of crate engines I also purchased a 302 DZ engine in the crate in 1970 and it is squirreled away for future use unless one of the 69 Z-28 eccentrics just have to have it, 8,500 would tempt me to get it out of hybernation.:eek::). The 265's with 3x2's make nice little mills for hot rods. Good luck with yours.

2. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Damn dude, it just goes to show ya ......ya never know whats out there.

3. Drive Em

Drive Em

A couple of years ago I cleaned out an uncles garage and in a GM crate was a complete NOS 283 rotating assembly which consisted of a Cosmoline dipped steel crank,eight rods in the GM boxes, bearings, rings and standard bore pistons. There was also an NOS GM 283 hydraulic cam. In a couple of other boxes were three NOS GM SBC short aluminum water pumps that were painted olive drab in color. My uncle said he bought everything at an Army surplus auction. Now to find a standard bore 283 block............

4. Mercchev

Mercchev

Holy Crap, Brother...Forgot about this deal, I had too many beers that night. Great Score!

5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a couple of sets of stock 55 manifolds as well if you need them-work really well clearance wise in an early Ford. Friend of mine just bought a 55 and 56 265 from an old boat shop--been sitting 30 yrs inside-the 56 had vette valve covers and dual 4's and the small dual point dist--both are complete but obviously need to be gone thru--pd $100 each--what a deal.

6. PSB

PSB

Very cool find.. Looks as if its a Forged crank too!

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

They all are.

8. Studely

Studely
    from Pueblo, CO

No, I said you were the smartest dude I know, Roger... And also the "koolest" with a "K"!

9. That's the equivalent of finding some exotic dinosaur perfectly intact. I'd be torn between hanging it up on the fireplace mantle or using it.

Bob

10. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

What Would you use a preserved dinosaur for?

11. Yes, it looks all snug in its nest, but we make omlets so that egg is gettin' busted !

Jeff,

Yeah, kinda amazed myself that I remembered it at all when I sobered up the next afternoon. Had dreams (or nightmares) of "Big Ass Pinatas" all night. Guess my parts sniffer still works, even when saturated with alcohol........

Johnnie.

12. Nice find! I'm not a big Chevy gut but I like old stuff. :D

13. Big Block Bill

Big Block Bill

If I remember correctly, the 55 -265 had a ring seal problem, then chevy came up with this additive to help seat the rings......but I also think the 55 had a remote oil filter, never saw one in real life.

14. Yes the '55 had a remote filter. Have one of those here as well. As far as the engine goes, it will get blown apart, cleaned, honed, and re-ringed at the time of the build.

Johnnie.

15. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The "ring seal" problem was that the crosshatch applied by the cylinder hones at the factory was not complimentary to the chrome rings that Chevrolet used in their new engine. G.M.'s fix? Pour Bon Ami down the carburetor! This isn't hearsay; this is from my grandfather, who was the dealer principal of a Chevy dealership in '55.

16. What a score.

Almost seems wrong to use it as it's survived all these years but I wouldn't hesitate either. Cracks me up the factory called it a 'half engine' instead of a 'short block'.

I have a 1971 (yes, 1971) 327 CE stamped 'crate engine' that the dealer installed in my 62 Corvette in the mid 70's right before I bought it. I replaced it with a correct engine and used that 327 in a project. To date, I've had it in 5 cars since. It's just too good to let go. I'm on the lookout for the 6th victim now. Might freshen up the bearings this time around.

17. bonesy

bonesy

That is so cool. I just keep going back to the pictures of it; dreaming. Mmmmmm

18. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

--------------------
    The "remote" filter you mention was an option on the 265s. Not all had them, although they're pretty common, as they were a popular and reletively low-cost option.. A lot were dealer-installed too, at the time of sale or afterwords. The filter was a bypass type, not a 'full flow' type.. Basically, it did not filter the oil going to the bearings. Rather, some of the oil - a small amount of the total coming from the pump - literally bypassed the main internal oil passages, went through the filter and then returned directly to the pan. Something else that a lot of people forget about too, is that 265s also came in '57 Chevs as well, as the base engine, with the 283 being an option that year.

Mart3406
    ===========================

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  19. rover

rover
    from pomona

265s and 283s are not worth building. sell it the purist tri five chevy guys and put a crate engine in it and be done with it. LOL! ... i hate it when guys say that shit! that is an awesome find. i love no side motor mount 265s and 283s. coolest SBCs. i have 2 265s and one 57 283. i just picked up a set of 56 265 power pack heads fully rebuilt on E Bay for $154. don't forget the corvette valve covers!

20. It has been a while, and it would seem that an update is in order. The '56, 265 crate engine is built, and bolted into its new home. It sounds amazing........

Here are some a couple preview pics, more on the '36 Roadster later...

Johnnie.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  21. Mercchev

Mercchev

Cool beans...can't wait to see it.

22. what did you all do to the motor?

23. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

Maybe i'm just not into the Chevy mystique but what's the point of having a 265 if you dress it up with later parts? The heads can't be 265 since they aren't the staggered bolt pattern for the valve covers.

I think you'd have been better off with a 350 and selling that crate shortblock to a 56 Chevy restorer.

24. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

you think too much...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I thought they actually built a few 265's all the way to 1959. I recall (dimly) a stock class racer named Cal Method who ran one in a '59 wagon.

26. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Dang. I would have loved to find something like that. I did recently find an early Hemi still in its crate, but nowhere as nice as yours appeared to be in the OP.

27. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I just finished checking out your profile and you have exceeded the allowable amount of cool cars. You have to dispose of at least three of them. I will take the 3 Window.

28. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

The car looks killer! What happened to the crate? I could be the coolest coffee table ever!

29. that would probably be the most practical.....but since when what we do have to be practical? i've been asked many times why i put a 283 in my `36......it's because that is what i wanted. yes , a 350 crate motor would have been cheaper/easier

i like the 265....lets see more about it and the car

30. Maybe it's just the angle of the photo, but how come the valve covers don't look like they have a staggered pattern on them ?