Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 Chevy Pickup Pt. 2 "El Trucko"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TaylorCrawford, Sep 12, 2011.

1. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Great seeing you Legg Lake yesterday. Glad to see your truck is coming along.

2. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Ya thats where I work so its there sometimes haha.

3. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Good seeing you too!

4. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Found this picture online, and Im in love with the stance! Im gonna shoot for this stance when I lower it.

[​IMG]

I also picked out a color. Im pretty set on this one haha.
    [​IMG]

5. Buzznut

Buzznut

That's a true candy red pearl...easily a 12K to 15K paintjob when done correctly. I dig the color, it's just not too friendly with the wallet.

6. dubie

dubie

you can get away with using kandy base coats now so there's no layering of silver or gold base and then kandy on top. It gives you the look of Kandy in a base coat.

7. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Guess I'll start saving now haha.

8. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Found a new drivers side fender at the Pomona swapmeet! Also found a 283 engine for 50 bux. Im gonna tear it apart and slowly rebuild it.

Also the dude who I was gonna have rebuild the steering box ended up being sketchy and wont answer his phone or call back, so I have to find somewhere else to take it....

[​IMG]

Here's the 283

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. And powerpack heads to boot- nice find!!!

10. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Ya Im pretty stoked! Its exactly what Im running now, but Im gonna build this one a lil gnarlier. :D

11. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Got the steering box in, and it drives awesome! No more dancing all over the road!

12. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Nice 283 ! Keep up the killer work dude. When you startin on the frame n all?

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

13. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Thanks man! Hopefully I'll be doing the c-notch and all that stuff soon.

14. dubie

dubie

nice little mouse motor dude. I have a 283 of the same vintage on my engine stand as we speak.

15. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Very cool! Are you gonna run it in your truck?

16. dubie

dubie

nope, I've already got the 350 back from being built by a good friend of mine and it's in the truck. I picked this one up from my folks neighbour who built himself a really nice show worthy 57 Bel-Air. He rebuilt the engine and did a 500 mile break in with and break it did. Something started to knock and instead of messing with the engine again, he yanked it out and dropped in a ZZ4 crate engine. When I bumped into him I asked if he knew of anyone with a 283 for sale, this was going to be for my last project truck a few years back. He said " I've got one out of my car, you can have it if you come pick it up right now" DONE!! I still haven't opened it up to see where the damage is, but it could be something minor.

17. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

I dont have a lot of free time to work on this thing because of school and work, but I finally got that new fender on! The grill fit kind of tight, and it has a small gap on the new fender, and it fits flush on the other side. Is there a difference between 55/56 front fenders and 57 fenders? Or could everything just be a little tweaked because its all old and stuff?

[​IMG]

18. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

I vote tweakage but what the hell do I know. Looking good Taylor, tell your Dad I said Hi.

Mark

19. 1959apache

1959apache

Trucks were expendable work vehicles and they were allowed some slop. Keep in mind fenders that have been off of a vehicle for a while, especially NOS parts that have never been put on a vehicle start to lose their shape as time passes, just by a little bit. My NOS fender from 1940 for my '40 Plymouth is out of shape, but with a little help from a buddy I will be able to get it to fit. I suggest you get a friend to help you tweak it to where it needs to be.

20. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Ya. I think some hammering here and there will get it right.

21. 57 3100

57 3100

yes, there is a slight difference. i was told this back when i had my 57....
    and this ad from brothers confirms it... hope this helps..

http://www.brotherstrucks.com/products.asp?dept=355

22. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

There are slight differences but you can't really tell. Basically the same shape and size. I run a 57 on my pass side.

Attached Files:

23. 1959apache

1959apache

No! Don't do that. Post some pictures of where it is tight. Usually two or more people and a couple flat head screw drivers can get it into position while someone else bolts it down.

24. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Its all bolted down and tight, theres just a slight gap between the grill and fender.

25. 1959apache

1959apache

Are you sure that the rest of the front clip didn't shift when you removed that fender? It is possible especially with as much spring force as there is there with the hood springs. I have had that happen to me a couple times. Best way to find out is to loosen the bolts on the drivers side fender open the hood all the way and give her a shove from the passenger side. Naturally it will want to hop back to the passenger side, but that is where a couple buddies come in.

26. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

I'll have to give that a shot!

27. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Good luck with the front clip alignment. Little elbow grease should get er lined up. Good progress dude

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

28. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Thanks man! I got it all lined up pretty good now!

Then my headlights died so now Im going through the whole harness trying figure out whats killing em. I also broke an exhaust hanger.

29. 1959apache

1959apache

eh, it happens. I am glad you got it lined up though. Did tugging the opposite way with the front clip help out?

What else are you doing to it?

30. MjEstrada

MjEstrada

Sorry I was on the wrong page.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013