Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette Gassers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bigalturk1, Mar 23, 2011.

1. BobG

BobG

Here's one that hasn't seen the light of day in several years, local guy won't do anything with it.
    It's been a race car since 65.
    Started out as a Gasser raced by the late George Tapscott from Springfield, IL, the the guy that has it now bought it in the late 80's and turned it into a bracket car.
    It used to have Halibrands on it
    The pait job was done in the late 60's by Ernie Ball of Springfield ... it still has AHRA Record Holder on the front fenders.

Attached Files:

2. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

hey Baron got it down to 3 feet lowest i can go with hitting floor crap. Got it fired up Wow . new motor did in the 90,s. 100 cc,s of gas 1/2 revalution boom fired right up . unReal wasnt expecting that at all ! back when i could do decent stuff i suppose and im sure a lot of help from the man upstairs !
    The smoke looked like a ghost :eek: .and the dang tires even took air .crazy man crazy...

Attached Files:

3. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

My fuel cell !:D ooooppps hope this dont make it a rice burner vette ? more like a noodle burner :eek:

Attached Files:

4. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Rocky. Isn't it great when stuff like that happens when you don't expect it? Now it's time to get it down 3 more feet, fill the brake fluid, pump the brakes up, and go for a blast around the neighborhood. :D

5. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

got me thinkin hard about it....its so close and far away. this project got t-boned by my 59 another 58 and a 63......it should have been done in the 90,s.... deal fell through on the nova guys wife wants him to get a new z06 with an extended warrenty go figure...he,s got a lot of money but not the knowhow to keep a muscle car running...oh well ... it made me get it out cleaned and running and xtra credit was the vette too. was not in
    my plans at all , brought me back a few years sittin in it today cant believe those tires even pumped up moreless even holding air... bought them around 78-9 man they made stuff to last back then ,got the front rims when i was 16 around 75. they have been on a lot of my cars AR 15,s inbetween bias to radial period :cool:

6. Buzznut

Buzznut

Here's a nice one:

[​IMG]

7. Buzznut

Buzznut

and another:

[​IMG]

Damn this image is HUGE! I have no idea how to resize and externally linked image.

8. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

say Buzz that 63 looks very wicked dude !:) only way to own one!

9. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

man this thread is heating up---great pics

10. vetrod62

vetrod62

Hey rocky, back in the 60s when we had these cars and No $$$$$. We still did it. Bring it back to the street or track. Just get it going. No paint, chrome or interior needed. Just heart. No one is getting any younger. Do it now. Here is a picture of the some of the guys we rented a shop to work on our cars ( we all lived at home and with no where to work on our cars, $25 each for rent) I am not in the picture. :D yes, every one is holding a chug-a-mug. Good times

[​IMG]

11. vetrod62

vetrod62

Sorry, I think of Gasser Vettes as 53-62. Seeing the earlier posted Sting Ray cars on here, it reminds me of my buddies 66 modified 427/450 coupe. It is the last vette on post 439/440. Back in the 60/70s he ran a tube axle in it. In 1997 he had removed the tube, bagged the original numbers matching original 427/450 Crane cammed engine and installed a 440 BBC blown mill. I have raced this car many times. The second picture is from when I won the Second annual Hot Rod Power Fest burn out contest in Norwalk, Ohio in 1997. There is a video on YouTube of it with it going on toward 1,000, 000 hits. Jim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

Off the charts brother ! :eek: what a burn out....

13. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

Vetrod the 3 vette picture says it all... thats why i never slept as young man. now you go to bed and wake up 10 years later... what happens to the time.When your living days like that its hard to appricieate it there was nothing to compare it to because it was part of our normal day we were just in it A real life style we ate ,drank and breathed it.. and like the Mad MAN once told me very few people lived with TOTAL COMMITMENT to the sport and beyond what words could describe for the movement of Hot Rodding . unforunately Big goverment, money pollution and trying to control us little people etc. has dictated our fate and future in the rodding world. can barley get gas to run them..... these cars are our window to youth , they are rolling pieces of art up to the muscle era in 72 not just transportation but designers dreams come true left for us to modify as real life Rat fink teeshirts to drive ! That window is slowly but surely being closed on us ! :mad:

14. halfsack

halfsack

What ever happened to Doug ? I have a picture at home of my dad along with his friend Keith i believe was his name, sitting on the trailer with Hayseed on it. Keith was a close friend of Dougs. Keith and my dad were in Viet Nam together

15. racemad55

racemad55

Doug is alive and well in N.H.,has beautifully restored '62 fuelie,his original 57 restored to stock,and a model A roadster, A clone of the 57 racecar is being built by a friend of his using some of his original racing parts,nicest guy you would ever meet.

16. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

You should get him on here a lot of us would like to hear from him...

17. halfsack

halfsack

Id love to get the chance to meet him. The picture i have was taken at the nationals in indy i believe. Ill find out tonight from my dad

18. vetrod62

vetrod62

Yes Rocky, I can honestly say my Corvette Hot Rodding has been in the main stream of my life, other than family. Butch, my closest friend and competitor, have been racing each other for 45 years. We would drop off our future wives at 11:00 pm and meet at out favorite tavern ( Cannon's on the Livingston Rt 10 Circle in Livingston NJ. He was local Cop, so we got away with a whole bunch of stuff ). Closed that tavern every night at 2:00 am after a lot of beers and went looking for races. If we could not someone to race for $$, we would race each other at our private race track on South Orange Ave in town. ( A public road ) BTW, Butch married my sister through our corvette friendship.

I do not know how I was able live that life style, Getting home at 3/4 AM and going to work at 8 AM the next morning. Now, there are not enough hours of sleep to get work done.

My wife asked me last week, when we retire and move away to where we can afford to live, are you bringing the vette?? My answer, are you kidding?? ( between me and the forum , I had the vette first and it stays first. )

19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

20. noboD

noboD

I owned a few Corvettes in the 70's. They are long gone, for family and house, but still have the friends from that time. Still have the iche for another midyear.

21. Looking for Roll bar ideas for my 60 Vette similar to those on Cobra's
    I went thru all of the posts with pictures of 57-62 Vette's and only 6 pictures were there with roll bars without a HT or Convertible top.

Post #'s 314 & 318, 285, 240, 234, 171 and 47. Some are repeated but those are the only I saw.

Any pictures out there of a 57-62 with a roll bar and no top? So I can see various options.

Hope to see some.

Movin/on

22. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look here.
    http://www.jwracing-fab.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=294
    And post 515 on this thread of Vetrod62's .
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=545759&page=26

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  23. Looking more like a Roll bar that only protects the drivers side. Similar to this.

I hauled a Kirkham race body a few years ago and the brace went into the Trans tunnel instead of the trunk area.

I did search the Kirkham website and their roll bars are way to high and narrow. I'd like to see a picture of one that tapers out into the panel behind the seats and leaves the trunk fully operational.

Here is a picture of my 60.

Attached Files:

24. noboD

noboD

Weren't NHRA rollbar rules differant for conv. as opposed to cars with roofs? Maybe that's why most ran with hardtops?

25. vetrod62

vetrod62

I do not see any way to put a small bar ,like the Cobra, in for several reasons without doing major work to the car.

If you are using the stock type seats, they go under the top cover and there is not enough room to get the bar behind the seats.

If you go through the top cover, then you will also have go through the gas tank or remove it. The top cover is now non functional.

The next problem is, there is no frame any where near the inner bar would go.

Is this roll bar you want, to be functional??

The only bars I have seen close to what you want are Show bars. Absolutely no strength. Those bars simply weld a tube sleeve to the frame and slide in the fake roll bar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. vetrod62

vetrod62

Current rules are, approved legal roll bar needed hard top cars.....11.49 and faster.

Convertible roof cars.......13.99 and faster.

27. Good points about the top cover and gas tank.
    The car is a frame off modification (dropped I-beam) so I could build a cross member under the convertible top area and make the top cover non functional. Then I'll have to deal with the gas tank.

Thanks for the comments.

28. vetrod62

vetrod62

The cross member at that location for the roll bar will be a problem with the drive shaft. You will have to be quite creative. Jim

29. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

easier to put in areal roll bar...

30. noboD

noboD

Thanks, but shouldn't it be the other way around? I'd feel safer going 11.50 in a car with a roof and no roll bar then a conv.