Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hate the 37 lincoln dash... Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Amoros, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Amoros

Amoros

Yes

2. Amoros

Amoros

I've seen some people put a "double edge" or second dash underneath to fill in and create bulk.

3. lht

lht

i'll take it off your hands!

4. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Whata shmuck to even let it cross your mind..

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I think they are correct in both that its a gorgeous dash and that the earlier cars have "flatter" dashes.

If I understand your view point correctly what I would do is keep the dash almost stock but bring it out further from the windshield.

Looking at a 40-48 dash they kind of roll out and come closer to you instead of so drastically dropping down. I'm not looking at the photos of this so I might be a little off but maybe you could just fabricate a peice of steel with the same shape and curve as the back of your dash and weld it in. Basicly un sectioning the front to back width of the dash.

Or take a 40 dash and some how cut the 'face' of the 40 dash out and put the Lincoln face in?

Something that in the end would increase the 'bulk' but unless your very familiar with the dash would have no idea that its not stock.

I'd probably just leave it alone until you've driven the car for a year or so and see if it really bugs you as much as you think it does now

6. Amoros

Amoros

I like this idea

There is a possibility i will leave the dash alone for now and experiment with the lower center section after looking at it for a while. Either make it straight or leave the angle that is has and fabricate a piece the curves towards me thereby creating a sort of foot like in furniture using art deco stylings for the bottom piece. That would help with the pulling away from you look. The bottom column creates a detached appearance that makes the dash seem like its removable or not part of the car. By bending it back, it would meld with the body.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  7. Amoros

Amoros

Whata shmuck to be closed minded.

8. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Amoros...

It's your car, you can do it anyway you want. But, basically, the History of the designs in those days came from the designers & artists that carried the Art Deco-look into the shapes of everything, in that culture at that time, into the automobiles they designed. Exteriors AND Interiors.

Raymond Lowey's futuristic, streamlined trains, the Chrysler Building in New York, the "World of Tomorrow" echoed in the 1939-1940 N.Y. World's Fair, etc., all had a basis in Art Deco. And so it was with the Lincoln's, the Zephyr's, the Chrysler/DeSoto Airflow's, Rust Heinz's "Phantom Corsair", all had that special timeless look.

Their Interiors were designed and shaped the same way...and for that reason. They were functional, as well as asthetically pleasing for the buyers during that time period...as was the "Mod" look of our world after the 1964 British Invasion of the Beatles, Carnaby Street, et al, for that time period.

Again, I fully understand your not liking what you have...but sometimes, as I've found myself on various "likes & dislikes", once you know the History of where something came from, and why it was done, it gives you a new and much clearer perspective on the situation.

Best of luck with whatever you decide,

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

Attached Files:

9. Weasel

Weasel

Yeah, you're right - that deco dash is just plain fugly....:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

10. Amoros

Amoros

The picture you posted is the part of the dash I like the most.... so fail

11. Amoros

Amoros

Jonnie King,

Agree with you totally. Maybe my words were a little harsh describing it. Its not like I'm planing on grafting in a 2003 chevy silverado dash, which it seems like what most people have pictured in their heads. Just looking for constructive advice from people like you. I welcome people disagreeing, like hear their side too.

As for the people that insult, I can care less. I know their kind. I forgive them. They can't help it.

12. tinmann

tinmann

You ask an uninformed question on a traditional rod and custom site. You get informed. Yet you believe you were given the "wrong" answer. Perhaps you might benefit from some sage words I once heard from "an old dude". Try listening rather than just trying to come up with something witty to say.

13. Amoros

Amoros

Yes tinmann, I did ask this question on a traditional rod and custom site. Some of the answers I got were what I was looking for. Some others were not trying to answer my question. They just have strong opinions and express it in a non constructive way. Not sure how you feel, I think I got a "wrong answer" I received many answers. Some people understood what I was asking. Some people expressed that I should leave it alone. and some simply just, well, you have read them. If you read my posts.... I have listened. Doesn't mean I have to take their answer and follow it.

I read your answer and can see that someone you know or know of removed the dash and installed a piece of crap that did not fit with the style of the car. I'm guessing by this answer and that previous post, you believe that I will do the same. I agree with you, I've seen plenty of cars that have been butchered with the ugliest changes made to their cars. But also keep in mind that part of your description implies a this is a custom site. I mean are we to not customize our cars? Or are we to just customize our cars only from what you prefer. All cars will only follow your rules.

If you want, you can send me money and me and you both can go on a quest to find the missing large square hole in the roof that the farmer cut it out of my car to fix or replace something off of his farm equipment (who knows why the farmer cut it out), that way my car can be truly original. Or we can make sure we find all the missing parts that originally came with the car.

I asked a question, I'm getting answers I was looking for. And getting informed. For example. Tim gave and excellent post. I got a history lesson, I got a suggestion based on my question, and then tries to solve my dilemma or give me alternatives, and gave me a suggestion to drive it for a year to see if I get used to it.

No drama, and to the point.

BTW, I would of puked as well If I had seen the car you are describing. I hate when people do that. You and others drool over that dash. Well I have some issues with it. Doesn't mean I'm going to cut it out and put a flat sheet of metal covered with tweed.

14. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

How much of the trim and knobs and gauges do you have in your dash now? I've found that staring at something incomplete, like a blank dash, I focus on all sorts of lines and places my eyes wouldn't be drawn too if it was painted and complete. If that makes any sense haha. I'm just saying, when you look at these pics people posted of nicely finished original dash's, do you notice the spots of the dash that bug you as much?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Where are pics of yours, or it doesn't count. For what it's worth, anybody who'd cut one up, or replace it with a Ford, or worse yet, a '40's Chevy pickup dash should have their man card taken, and then whipped with an old fan belt.

16. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

I'll trade ya for a '61 Olds dash!:D

17. Daddy's Toy

Daddy's Toy
    from Pburg NJ

You can contact Classic Instruments. They made a custom dash for one of our cars. We knew what we wanted but their draftsmen can provide you with designs. They were great. But, you have to cough up the money!

http://www.classicinstruments.com

Classic Instruments
    P.O. Box 411
    1299 M-75 South
    Boyne City, MI 49712

800-575-0461 or
    231-582-0461 M-F 8-5 EST

18. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Well stated.

19. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Have any affection for the '46 Ford dash? I'll trade you! if yours is decent... Seriously....

20. iarodder

iarodder

LOL...LOL I like it. thats sarcasm at its best.

21. henryj429

henryj429

I agree. I had Classic rework my instruments. The guts are all modern 12V but look stock Zephyr. Very pricey, but gorgeous!

22. tinmann

tinmann

Well spoken. Don't give up on us opinionated bastards. From time to time we can offer nuggets of pure gold.

Keep posting and keep asking. How about some pics of your car? If you were local (not sure which part of "Planet Earth" you hail from), I'd be the first guy offering to help fill the hole in your roof.

23. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Find a dash you can live with and install that one.

Done.

24. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

i LOVE the '37 lincoln dashes. i'll gladly trade you out for another dash if you would like.

25. Amoros

Amoros

Well since people are asking.

The car is basically a shell. Its is rust covered with hints of Hunter green.

Its a 4 dr.

The dash does have gauges, Its missing the clock and bottom center column. Unfortunately someone decided to pry on the speedometer trim all around it. Not sure why? Looks like a soup can lid after the a can opener got to it. No knobs. Dented trunk

Missing a lot of parts. To restore it would be not very productive and expensive.

I don't feel too bad since the The roof is gone. And that's probably somewhat part of the reason of choosing it. Wouldn't want to mess up a perfectly good car.

None of this is going to happen today or tomorrow or even anytime soon. Need a plan first, and that's what I'm trying to do. Too many people start without a plan, and just eff everything up. I don't want that to happen

And for those of you that are worried, I'm starting to appreciate the art deco lines that I had not noticed before.

26. Pimpin37zephyr

Pimpin37zephyr

The dash will grow on you, you'll never see an other one like it. Besides think about how many gloves you could carry with you.

27. I Drag

I Drag

Since the car is far from pristine, please hack up that dash as desired. I recommend spacing it away from the windshield more, and perhaps adding some material to the bottom edge (you get to choose the lower contour you like).

This should get you closer to what you'd like.

BTW, I also like to start with cars too expensive to restore, since even modifying them is an improvement.

28. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

That is one ugly dash ! Get rid of it .

29. Amoros

Amoros

lmao

30. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

I could see giving it a slice on each side of the cluster, and rotate the bottom towards the seats. If you want to add a little meat to the bottom, use a similar step as what is used in the center. Not really sure what I would do about the glove boxes, but I would play with smoothing them out and adding a cool stepped deco style chrome trim. At the bottom of the cluster, I would fabricate a piece that has the same profile, but flows into a console type separation between the seats. I agree that it is a cool design to begin with, and regardless of what you do, you need to make the mods flow with the design. Great custom modifications need to be able to cause most people who see it to wonder if it was customized at all, and argue with each other about what was changed.
    There is no stock car or part that cannot be improved, the trick is to understand the whole and know where and when to stop. Keep posting about what you do.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad