Register now to get rid of these ads!

AMBR Winner Paint Color

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bert Kollar, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I love the color on the AMBR winner but John Mumford, the owner, won't release the formula of the paint. Are there any paint experts that can give me an idea on how to brighten up the 1940 Ford Maroon is is supposed to resemble. There are also Maroons that Ford used called Heritage Burgundy and Vintage burgundy but they don't seem to pop like the AMBR car. I talked to Darrell Holenbeck and he said he couldn't give me the info.

Attached Files:

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Issue #59 The Rodders Journal just says PPG custom mixed Maroon 2-stage Urethane.

3. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

never did understand the secrecy with paint colors!!

4. Weasel

Weasel

Having spent three years trying to pick a color for my Willys Coupe restoration I ended up with a custom mix that used pure toners in a single stage Glasurit. I was pursuing the color range of Peter Mullin's Delahaye Type 165, and I have the custom color formula from the painter who painted the Delahaye, but the use of pure toners got rid of a white sidecast and milkiness that the Delahaye has. The result is a non metallic color that flops dramatically according to ambient light conditions and really pops under lights. If you google Delahaye 165 you will see that it looks a different shade of the color in each photo. My guess is that the Mumford color will do pretty much the same. Just remember that pure toners will make it pop and give a really clean feel to the end result A good color match paint guy should be able to come up with what you want....

5. Weasel

Weasel

To illustrate my point, which of these shades are you looking for? And this is justb indoors under the lights. What does the color do under sunlight, overcast conditions, morning light, evening light, night time?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Ognib

Ognib
    from Mo

Glasurit is an excellent system.
    I painted for a benz, porsch, jag, ferrari dealership in the early 90's & that's what we used.
    Their clears were the best urethane system I ever encountered that would level & polish with the same end look as lacquers.

7. Looks close to Royal Cessna Maroon but pictures can be hard to judge. I am a fan of Maroons, you will drive yourself nuts choosing one!

8. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Weasel thanks for the tip on toners I like the idea of a single stage system

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. [​IMG]
    I can tell you how I did this

Outside at sunrise

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  11. [​IMG]

Inside under a halogen

12. Sorry for the big pics.
    Not exactly the color you want but I'd bet a little variation and you could get close.
    I'd also bet someplace on the original sprayouts test panel is close.

13. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

There are several different maroons available . My friend just picked one for his roadster that he's building . His priorities were , no brown sidecast and not too purple . He found a few that he liked , bought small amounts and I sprayed out some samples for him to look at . Look around , spray some samples and pick what looks good to YOU .

14. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

This is Windsor Maroon That was a stock color for 1926-27 Model T Ford closed cars. Maroon comes in countless colors. Check out this car color on my T 2dr. It was a hard color to photograph.:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  15. Look at 1954 Buick hondures maroon. (spelling)

16. this is a Jaguar color called Regency red...which is maroon in my book and it has what I want for my coupe...spraying it in about a week :D:D

Attached Files:

17. Weasel

Weasel

Every time the word 'maroon' comes up, I feel the irrepressible urge to state that it comes from the french word 'marron' which is chestnut in English. This therefore denotes that maroon is a chestnut red with a strong brown cast to it. Burgundy on the other hand has a blue cast. John Mumford's roadster is definitely maroon. The two are often confused but they are distinctly different tones of dark red....

18. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Guido is right. maroon has a brownish look to it. My Model T was that type of color. More to the brown that red. A nice color done right. My T was done in nitrocellulose lacquer. I was an outstanding paint job for a Model T Ford. Was classed as over restored.

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Honduras Maroon is a chevy color that debuted in 1960. The Buick color you are thinking of is Titian Red. Both are metallics.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yup, x3.

21. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

And with the different colored primers and adding some color to the clear things can get confusing.

I'm looking for that "perfect" dark red too.

22. Juke Joint Johnny

Juke Joint Johnny

I asked Darrell about the paint too and all he would say is that they had to mess with the color so it wouldn't come out too brown. I have a VW painted that Jaguar Regency Red, it's a real nice color, looks like maroon in the shade and like a dark lipstick red in the sun. If you have access to color chips, check out '64 Rolls Royce "Regal Red", it's a real nice dark red/maroon.

23. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Thanks I'll look at the Rolls color

24. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

X2 silly isn't it!:confused:

25. Rand Man

Rand Man

Thought I would look up the 2013 AMBR winner. Looks like Darrell Holenbeck painted it. This guy has skills. The 2016 win should be less of a surprise.

26. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Consider 1977 GM code 4899 Claret. In now obsolete Dupont Centari it was 44731A Alt. 1
    Don't let the name of a color mislead you. The true test is a test panel spray out.