Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hate the 37 lincoln dash... Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Amoros, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Amoros

Amoros

I really don't like some of the styling of the 1937 Lincoln zephyr dash... Any suggestions of something different or a change imcould do? I'm hoping it will grow on me.

I don't like the fact that the dash curves inward at the bottom to the front of the car like it does. I also don't like the lower center post curving down and towards the front either.

Dash looks small, not bulky that would seem appropriate for such a large car. Feels like a beetle dash. (I drive a beetle, I should know.)

The speedometer and gauge area is fine. The two glove boxes on either side just curve and wedge out to the ends badly. This wedge shape might be the whole problem with it, in my opinion. Maybe the whole reason why I'm not in love with it.

Any suggestions of what I could use or do to improve the feel and look of the dash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  2. There are hundreds of people on here whd rip your hand off to get one of these dashes!
    They´re beautiful things IMHO.

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

your signature says it all...:)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. i assume that neither picture is of your car and just an example? i'd hate for you to tear either apart , i like the stock dash the way it is

5. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Considered a 39 or 40 ford dash?, 1939 is round gauges (1), 40 is gauge cluster(2).

It is a beautiful dash, but I do agree it is a little different with strange gauge placement...
    I always like 48-55 Chevy truck dashes (3)

Attached Files:

6. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Can't get much better than a zephyr dash.....

7. I kinda like this one;)

Attached Files:

8. tinmann

tinmann

In the mid-90's a '37 Zephyr was built in my town. The owner and upholsterer had the bright idea to cut out the Zephyr dash and fabricate a less busy one to go with the "lovely" tweed interior.

Everyone I know threw up in their mouth when they heard or saw what they had done.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  9. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

give yourself an uppercut

10. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Guys remember its his car and his preferences... If he doesnt like it than he doesnt like it... Theres Plenty of things people do to cars that I find untasteful but it is their car...

Im not really a fan of that dash either, its a little to busy with strange gauge placement...

11. Man,I love the look,,if this is in your car your nuts for wanting to change it! :confused:HRP

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I like the Zephyr dash quite a lot. And, my OT DD Mini Cooper dash pays tribute to it. ;)

Seriously, and especially if the pic is of the actual dash in your car, that is gorgeous. At the very least, treat it with care when removing it and offer it to someone who appreciates it.

Ray

13. Amoros

Amoros

He he, I expected some backlash. What do you expect from such a traditional website.

Maybe the dash is fine. Maybe its the firewall / floor board area is too close. Makes it all look flat. I still dont like how it wedges at the ends. Maybe if that gets widened it would work. Split the ends down the middle, bend the lower half down till its parallel, then filling then gap with metal.

3wLarry. Lol yeah, that's why i posted that signature. Lets you know ahead of time.

I'm sure some of you agree on some of the styling details could use improvement.

I appreciate the good and bad comments either way.

14. ninosdad

ninosdad

I just got through remodeling the dash on my '3* La Salle, the guy before me used ten cent Vintage Air plastic vents, cheap knobs nasty old GM column., so new knobs vents column etc...it really needed it, did I fail to mention it was clown nose red? Now it is black this was a good move.
    It that is your dash and you want to spend 30 or so hours and a lot of $$$ to remodel it....seek medical help you may need a CAT scan what you have is beautiful. Gauges can be retrofitted for upgraded driveline if needed....LEAVE IT

15. Amoros

Amoros

Not my dash in the pics.

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I hope that one of these days, soon, someone would repop them in steel. Glass in a pinch. Gary

17. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

The two dashes pictured are obviously not even in the same car. One is stock, and the other a STREET ROD with A/C ducts cut into it with a tilt-like column. What's your real point, here...do you actually own a real Zep? What part of "Planet Earth" do you call home? DD

18. 62RagtopNova

62RagtopNova

You're like the gal with perfect 34-C's that gets huge implants.

Don't screw with beauty.

19. Just cover it in carpet a la 1980s street roddy style. Then you can uncover it later when you like it more.

20. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

If you hate it so much, I'll take it off your hands.

21. I assume you have an unrestored version of the dash, you could cut up the left side and put in something like a 49 chevy gauge, round all in one gauge and use your center gauges for tach and or other things

22. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

I feel so sorry for you having a car with that butt ugly dashboard.
    Just to make you feel better , I'll send you a 39 ford dash and you send me that ugly thing.
    Cheers Martin

23. Amoros

Amoros

Change, does not have to be drastic or even noticeable. How about this... what would you tweak to make it better. For instance. I like the larger speedometer on the 38 Zephyr. Similar dashboard, yet different in their unique way.

24. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Amoros Do you have any Pictures of your dash in its current condition ?

25. studeynut

studeynut

I personally love that dash. Since you think it needs more bulk, how about adding a 2-3 inch extension, like from the dash to the column, must have rounded corners to match the rest of the styling. Experiment with poster board, cut to fit, bend, spray paint to match the dash color then tape in place. Then look it over from all angles.

26. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Doesn't seem like you're gonna get too much sympathy here. Almost comparable to hating that MONA LISA original that you "own" cause she ain't smiling. DD

27. henry29

henry29

One of the best looking dashes ever designed, I can't image how someone could think that was ugly.

28. -Brent-

-Brent-

X2! Hahaha. :D

29. I Drag

I Drag

Compared to later model cars early dashes sit close to the windshield and firewall; they just don't have the same 'bulk'. I think that is what is throwing you off.

Live with it for a while.

30. Amoros

Amoros

Not looking for sympathy, just some ideas from the few people that might agree, or are more open to some change or customizetion. i know which forum I asked this question. Just be glad I've asked it here where I can get ideas from people who can help me keep the old look while improovinging on the original. Be glad, I didn't go on a minitrucking forum to ask.

James Hetfileds Lincoln Zephyr is beautiful in my opinion, and it was customized to improve its appearance.