Register now to get rid of these ads!

Goin to Chicago for a week , what to see when not workin?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fenderless in the n.w., Apr 10, 2013.

1. historynw

historynw

I'm pissed my buddies alway try to buy me street meat...I'm collecting eatery locations....seriously chicago Steak & Chop was tops when I was there, Lou Malnati's great pizza, great chicken soup.

2. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

If your into art and going downtown you cant go wrong with the art museum
    They have some awsome stuff. And it is a must to get italian beef at portillos!

3. 54rat210

54rat210

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  4. 54rat210

54rat210

Portillos is good for hot dogs and beefs

Gene and JudeS for hot dogs

We have tons of restraints and entertainment. You got Navy Pier and all the museums. Try to avoid the Southside around lake and 35th. Ghetto central. if u wanna have a good time . Go to a cubs game and get drunk. Plenty of bars and restaurants in wrigleyville on Clark. If you go to far down Addison and end up on Halsted you'll find yourself in the middle of the gay part of Chicago. You'll know it when u get there. You'll see a lot of white Sox hats. Watch your wallet! ;)

5. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

By the way, no concealed carry in Illinois. The only state without.

6. abefromen

abefromen

Portillo's? Gene and Jude's? Pffffft!

Superdawg!

No trip to the Chicago area isn't complete unless you try one of their hotdogs...

Located at the corner of Devon and Milwaukee ave.

http://www.superdawg.com/

7. Gene and Judes is profoundly average, I used to store a car by there, went often. Portillos, or Al's Beef, Mr. Beef or Superdawg for a a best hot dog. If you like shows like Diners Drive Ins and Dives you'd maybe want to go to Hot Dougs, Kuma,s Big'n Littles (New Orleans food, in River North), Glen's Diner (doesn't blow me away), Pequods on Clybourn for deep dish with a little more character.

I live by Addison/Western, where do you all live? I have a dark blue chopped '51 merc.

I like Sun Wah for Chinese food, was just there a week ago.

The best car museum open to the public is http://volocars.com/, about 1.5 hours North of Chicago. TONS of stuff to see, 4-5 large buildings full of cars.

8. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Its coming soon one way or another!

9. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

I miss Portillos...they have great food...

10. Jamoke

Jamoke

You have to go to http://www.ricobenespizza.com/

King Steak Sandwitch loaded with Fries and a drink better be hungery

Johnnie's Beef
    7500 W North Ave
    (between 75th Ave & Monroe Ave)
    Elmwood Park, IL 60707

Gene & Jude Red Hot Stand
    (708) 452-7634
    2720 River Rd, River Grove, IL

Midwest Street Rod
    Painfield IL

http://www.mytrain.com/cruisenews.html

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013

11. ALL GOOD INFO ,

ill stay north , thanks, lol

12. Also great info to have lol

13. ill be around N. Ravenswood and to the north and such , any one wants to get together and bench race or meet and greet feel free to post or p.m. , I'm one of those that hates to eat alone lmao

14. I'll have to look up Painfield, and im taking this list and thread with me ..... so im hoping to eat my self sick and see some trick rod and custom related along the way , thanks every one again , I get a little more info and places every time I check in , MUCHO APPRICIATED.

15. IWB

IWB

I'm in Chicago right now to cold for me. I ate at hot Doug's great hot dogs and Al's is pretty good but Lou's pizza is a must in my opinion.

16. thanks IWB , all the input helps

17. Well I made it , for any one that cares lol , met Voo Doo Larry , really cool cat, him and one guy workin, usually closed to the public on week days but could tell I wasn't a local found out how far I had come to see him and opened up the doors and showed me around , both are really salt of the earth guys and friendly as all hell , much appreciated the tips to go see him as well as his time to take time out for a no-body rodder like me , bought some swag , will post some pics when I get the chance

18. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

I'll second the Hop Leaf if you like beer, great place , and the Art Institute.

Others had good suggestions for food.

Drive out to Oak Park and look at some of the Frank Lloyd Wright architecture, pretty cool stuff.

Skip the Cubs. Go Sox.

If you are into music, check out Fitzgerald's in Berwyn, tourists seem to like Kingston Mines on Clark.

I missed how long you will be here but the big spring swap will be in Jefferson Wisconsin in a couple weeks. Hell stick around long enuf and hit up Torque Fest in Dubuque.

19. slowforty

slowforty

for music
    Try the Green Mill at Lawrence and Broadway Great, tacos around the corner
    Honky Tonk BBQ at 1800 South Racine, Great food and Music

20. THANKS EVERYBODY , its been great , heading out to drop off the rental car , then back on the plane home , my work here is done , I think I've caused enough K-osss for this trip, thanks again for the input, the advice, and the hospitality.

Fenderless in the n.w. aka Mark (mad max)

21. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Buddy Guy's and Kingston Mines.