Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there such a thing as a cool "bobber" pickup or would I be wasting my time?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buzznut, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Yes. I like them if they are done old school with clean lines and proprtions. I would like to build one for myself.

2. F&J

F&J

I need a better screen or better eyes...I thought you wrote something about using an old school bus...man, bobber school bus:eek:

3. thunderplex

thunderplex

X2, ...don't get me started on the constant nay-sayers on the HAMB.

...sent from the back seat of a Greyhound bus, ...rolling down highway 41.

4. St. Louis Cummins

St. Louis Cummins

Whats a bobber truck?

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

your avatar...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. belair

belair

I like 'em when they're done right.

7. kracker36

kracker36

I built a 36 IH that really only had a few body parts when I found it. I wanted to do something safe and reliable so that is what I built. It drives great and gets lots of attention. 289 Ford power

Attached Files:

ratrod40428 likes this.
  8. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Anything fenderless after '34 looks like a turd to me, but hell, build whatever you want, not my time or money...

9. Buzznut

Buzznut

As in "re"?

LOL, classic...

10. Perhaps I should throw my 2 cents into this discussion since you asked.
    I have had lots of experience with the 41-46 Chevy cabs, (same as the GMC). Building on the 4th truck right now as a matter of fact.
    I go about these builds a little different than a lot of guys. I recycle old SUV chassis out from under Isuzu Troopers and Isuzu Rodeos. I usually pickup these Isuzu chassis wrecked or blown up for around $200. They make for a great platform for my hot rod trucks. El[SIZE=4]iminate the front drive axle, run it [SIZE=4]as a 2 wheel drive. Big dis[SIZE=4]c brakes, Dana 44 rear end[SIZE=4], fuel tank in[SIZE=4] the rear. The [SIZE=4]Chevy and GM[SIZE=4]C [/SIZE]cabs fit great over the frames. Makes for a cheap, safe, [SIZE=4]hot rod. You can run just about any engine ( there's that much room) .[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
    IMG_7112.jpg

IMG_7113.jpg

IMG_7116.jpg

IMG_7118.jpg

IMG_7120.jpg

IMG_7162.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg this truck has a 350 TH400, 4 wheel disc brakes, adjustable torsion bar front suspension, power steering, dana 44 rear end. Out of pocket cash money spent on building this is less than $2500.00
    This truck is extremely popular no matter where you take it. Cruises down the freeway, corners great, stops even better. Gary One Crusty One.

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I'd be damn proud to have this one in my garage.

[​IMG]

When they are done right (like this one) they may not be "traditional" but they sure are cool. :D

Don

12. davidh73750

davidh73750

another thing we discussed at LSR13 last wk end proportions make or break it. I prefer an engine that's not overly flashy. Shoot a 235 and 2 carbs split exhaust would be fine to motivate it. I see some good starts then a big block and blower and its a bit much. what ever you do NO a-frames showing with no fenders.
    There's probably more bad examples than good ones. I wouldn't cut up a good full fendered truck for one but if I had cab, a bed why not.

13. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

Rudy's truck... not many others pull it off.

14. St. Louis Cummins

St. Louis Cummins

Thats hilarious! Im an idiot.

15. It just comes down to what you consider to be "a true hot rod". I think it is safe to say that here on the H.A.M.B, the words "true" and "traditional" are interchangeable. A lot of guys are going to read your question as "will a bobber truck ever be traditional?" You can build something that is in the spirit of hot rodding, have it be tasteful and safe, but for a lot of folks in this joint it will never trip their trigger. I hope you are going through the expense of this build for your own tastes rather than the opinion of others. Maybe you could post some examples of what inspires your build? -Sean

16. 18n57

18n57

I agree. Just pay attention to safety( brakes,steering,etc.) and let the naysayers build whatever they like. I do have a big problem with ANY style hot rod that is slapped together with no apparent regard for safety. My .02

17. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

you did ask for opinions, wrong thing to do here. I started to build one similar to your stated build, ended up with a full on drag truck. Build what you like, Its the truck in my avatar.

18. Quintin

Quintin

this is my 39 chevy... its pretty much the same cab as a 46

Attached Files:

19. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

[​IMG]

That is cool as hell...............with a different grill & surround.

Build yerself one!

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

NO, THEY ARE NOT!!! And this is the real crux of the ongoing problems on here! Theres nothing wrong with building a bobber, or a car with a mustang II front end, or a car with a gen III small-block for that matter. The PROBLEM arises when the arrogant jack-ass INSISTS that it be "accepted" as a "traditional" hot rod, and we should re-write the definition just to include his car, because it hurts his great big fat ego that its not.

21. NO. Its gonna look like a ratrod no matter how you do it if its fenderless. Uncool.

22. I vote "not so much".

23. Buzznut

Buzznut

Your truck is very similar in style to what I'm going for....

24. Buzznut

Buzznut

I'm not asking if it's "traditional", but if Roth's creations are considered "acceptable" on the HAMB, and building a "hot rod" from the parts you had access to, and were lying around back then was acceptable, why isn't that in the same spirit of hot rodding now?

25. Well said. As another OLD man, all I can add is "why"? IMHO

Also, FalconGeorge says it with pictures.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  26. Buzznut

Buzznut

As a matter of fact there are a few reasons: 1) ANYTHING remotely restorable, rebuildable or in tact in the way of a pre-war Ford, Chevy or Dodge here in California is thousands in crappy shape and tens of thousands in good shape. 2) I already own the '46 cab. 3) I've always wanted to do a Roth style bed. 4) there is no way it will cost me as much to build my own creation utilizing the multiple sets of engines, transmissions, axles, body panels, wheels, etc... that I have already in my possession as it would cost me to build a period correct hot rod using SPECIFIC hard to find (expensive) parts. 5) I'm not building it to flip it or create value, I'd be building it to enjoy it and have a one-off creation. 6) I've never bought into the mentality that purism is best, or even always correct.

27. davidh73750

davidh73750

Half the bad rap on these things is they are trailer-ed to every show not driven then the hotels fill up with trailers and you see where I'm going with this.
    they are the bar cruiser motor-cycle of rods most wont be comfy on long hauls.

28. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Have you considered that not every vehicle you play with has to be accepted by people on the hamb? In my opinion bobber trucks are bad proportioned, gawdy, and ridiculous. The best part about that is my opinion should never effect you in the least. Find another forum if you feel you need to post about your new project, enjoy building and driving it, and pop in over here to talk about traditional rods with us. Win-win for everyone...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

29. davidh73750

davidh73750

I like this one

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  30. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)This is my favorite!:cool:

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.