Register now to get rid of these ads!

Copper paint?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by borderboy1971, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Does anybody have a recommendation for a good copper color paint? I'd prefer if someone knew a factory car that has it, as it would be a lot easier for me to walk into our local paint supply store and say I need paint for a ".... Dodge" or etc. I don't want a deep copper color like some cars I've seen, I want it like a new shiny penny. If there isn't a good factory paint, then any recommendations for House Of Colors or etc?

2. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

I'm a big fan of the 1954 Oldsmobile copper metallic.

It's not as "new penny" as you'd probably like.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/paintdetail.cgi?paint=1954%7COldsmobile%7CCopper

It doesn't look as good on the internet (can't see the metal/shine) but there are paint sheets that you can purchase for really cheap on that auction site and get an idea of what it looks like in person (I bought an olds paint chip sheet for like $1).

The F88 concept car has a nice color to it (maybe too gold for your taste though?)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufKaRHS4VcQ

3. I'm a fan of '57 Chevy Sierra Gold...it's a nice penny color.

4. I just shot an old Ford with Hot Hues Blaze Copper a couple weeks ago. Nice color shift in different lighting conditions and shines like a new penny in the sun.

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

6. Poesrodandcustom

Poesrodandcustom
    from Kentucky

Not a factory color but any PPG store should have "copper penny" it's in the vibrance line.

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

8. There's a great copper on the Volvo line of cars from a few years ago.

9. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

GM'S Atomic Orange !!

10. Harley-davidson bronze pearl. It is a late model color, and there is a dupont paint cross reference that is dead on without buying expensive HD brand paint.

11. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

12. Can you do this with all Harley colors?

13. davidh73750

davidh73750

68 corvette and special order 68 camaro copper is cool too not over the top flashy.

14. I've used rustoleum ( or krylon) Copper Hammertone paint, (in a spray can). It has looked great on my wheels.

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

When I was building my 23 I wanted an old timey looking copper/bronze/gold color for the suspension and wheels. One day I looked out the window at work and there was a Hummer in the parking lot with exactly the color I wanted. It turns out to be 2005 Hummer Fusion Orange, and I got more compliments on that color than on any one I have ever used.

Here are some pictures of it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chrome really pops against it.

[​IMG]

Don

16. DrJ

DrJ

I've been told the pigments to make a '59-60 GM (Chevy) copper are unavailable so pick something else.
    If anyone knows anything to the contrary I'd like to know for my El Camino!

17. WHITEDOVE

WHITEDOVE
    from Tampa, FL

2003 "sunset" # mo-36 mitsubishi eclipse

18. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

I'm partial to 56/57 Corvette aztec copper. Closer to a light metalic brown than some of the newer orangey copper colors... PA261031.JPG

57 Nov. 2011 007.JPG

57 Nov. 2011 008.JPG

19. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Hey a Corvette that's not red^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

20. 53woody

53woody

Here is a picture of my 34 Ford, shot with Nissan Orange Pearl with flattener in the clear coat.
    Bruce :cool:

Attached Files:

21. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Turbine Bronze Metallic - code MM1 in the mid '60s. A real nice, subtle shade of copper here.

Here's a link with many pics from different angles to get an idea of what it looks like.

http://www.vaultcars.com/1967-chrysler-convertible

Some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You might also try some GM (Cadillac) Firemist colors from, oh, about 1970. There are a couple of different shades but they all have a nice glow.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  22. 1arock

1arock

Don you look great in the bikini. I've never seen your picture before but I never thought of you as a blond.

23. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I've gained a little weight since that picture was taken. :eek:

Don

24. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I can't get the pictures to show but if you look at the "My Truck" album in my profile you can see its painted with a color called "Liquid Copper" it's not quite as orange as most of the others posted. I think it's a factory Lexus color.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  25. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Here it is liquid copper 2003 Lexus/Infinity color (not as orange when the sun isnt on it.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  26. super-six

super-six

Another Aztec Copper, or sometimes called Corvette Copper, 1955-57 Corvette. This on my '57 w/ Adobe Beige.

[​IMG]

27. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Chevy had a Desert Sand that was pretty nice---

28. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

That little car is stunning I saw a couple of years ago in Lakeland for the killbillet drags. Love the gold.

29. Jimi-Neutron

Jimi-Neutron

30. No, Only some HD paints will crossover with paint manufacturers. You have to have the guy look them up and see. Some of the HD paints are a kind of candy paint.

I was able to buy a rattle can of Dupont paints mixed in HD colors from Carquest including the bronze pearl, aztec orange, and perhaps a couple other orangish colors. I went this route as I dont believe HD will put thier own paints in rattle cans, and for my small project the $250 a pint wasnt worth the expense. the Dupont stuff is great. Its worth looking into for sure. the HD paint and colors are really nice however.

Pic is of a car with actual HD bronze pearl paint.

Attached Files: