Register now to get rid of these ads!

Goin to Chicago for a week , what to see when not workin?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fenderless in the n.w., Apr 10, 2013.

1. like the title says , what should I see , must do , must eat, when im not workin, hot rod shops? old parts hoards for sale? hittin turf Monday the April 15th lol thanks guys

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Where will you be in Chicago. Will you have transportation? Saturday a.m. is breakfast at Chucks Southern Comfort in Burbank (SW Suburb) on 79th Street at 7:00 a.m. Also check out Hot Rod Chassis & Cycle in Addison. They have a website and sometimes have weekly get together at the shop.

Travel safe and welcome to land of the crooks. Stu

3. will have trans-po just there till Friday, Montrose point , Wrigley field area

4. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Museum of Science and Industry for sure...
    Chicago Historical Museum is also pretty cool. The Art Institute is also amazing.
    So many, many, many great restaurants of all types and sizes. I would recommend almost any of them in the Bucktown/Wicker Park area and avoid most of the touristy spots near the Loop or Gold Coast.

5. WTSHNN

WTSHNN
    from Chicago

Don't see a cubs game.

-Tim

6. flatford39

flatford39

Go downtown & see "The bean". It's pretty neat. Best steaks in town are at Gene & Georghetti's also in the downtown area. They serve a prime rib that looks like something Wilma served Fred as it hangs over the plate. Just bring a lot of money, it is expensive.

Hot rod chassis & cycle in Addison is a neat stop as well. Always something interesting going on there.

7. flatford39

flatford39

That's funny (coming from an old south sider)

8. blktie

blktie

Try for Voo Doo Larry's shop in Elk Grove Village.

9. LMAO, good point, not a big sports fan anyway, any one know of a place called ...AL'S? supposed to have killer food , Italian roast beef sandwich

10. WTSHNN

WTSHNN
    from Chicago

Want real Chinese Food? Sun Wah (Argyle and Broadway, closed on Thursdays).

Like beer, and I don't mean Miller Lite? The Hop Leaf (Clark and Foster)

Whiskey? Longman and Eagle (Schubert and Kedzie)

Pizza would be Lou Malnati's, various locations, have your pick.

Get a Beef sandwich and Chocolate Cake Shake at Portillo's.

If you're heading south, you gotta hit up Chuck's even if there isn't a HAMB meetup.

Sample the beers at Goose Island, Half Acre or Haymarket.

Wait, oops, sorry, thought I was on a food board and not a Hot Rod board.

I'd second Museum of Science and industry and Chicago Historical Society. You could do the Gangster tour but it is a little hokey. If you're drunk and it is late at night, a hot dog at The Weiner Circle will give you an experience you will never forget (Youtube it...)

If you like architecture some of the boat tours are really cool and will show you all around.

I'm sure I'll think of a few other things.
    -Tim

11. WTSHNN

WTSHNN
    from Chicago

Al's Beef, yup, they are good, Portillo's might be easier for you to find and they have a '20's or '30's theme about them. Many have Model AA or BB trucks in them.

-Tim

12. great info guys , thanks and keep em coming, ill be knockin off about 5 and looking for things to see , any one wants to show a foreigner about eel free to p.m. lol

13. WTSHNN

WTSHNN
    from Chicago

Told you I'd have more...

Motor Row is kinda cool, it is where all the car dealers were in the 10's and 20's. Many of the buildings still retain their original names (Premier and Marmon are the ones that I saw last week when I was down there) many also have decorative things on the facades like wheels and what not. It is Michigan Ave from like 18th south towards I55. Don't cross the expressway.

City Tavern is right near there and has amazing fried chicken.

-Tim

14. Bad Hood across the express I'm guessin? im a lil on the side of ebonicly challenged and a little on the pigment deficient as well lol , no offence meant to any

15. SLCK64

SLCK64

Go to Hot Rod Chasis and Cycle shop!!!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

16. SLCK64

SLCK64

Oh and the Green Mill nightclub!! Great Music!!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

17. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I would totally hit up HRCC.. They have some real cool projects under way right now.

18. The Bean is cool , and the hrcc looks like a winning pic as well :)

19. PRB

PRB
    from Az

Go to the South side and watch live "Bait Car" shows.

20. my luck they'd think I was the bait car ................. thanks for the ideas, still shoppin for more if ya got em

21. hudson48

hudson48

At Plainfield about 36 miles out of Chicago is Midwest Hot Rods.They are having their annual open day on May 19th.When we did Route 66 in 2009 we lucked on the open day that year (Sunday) and they had 50-60 cars there plus the shop was open to see all the cars being worked on.
    Maybe a bit more "street rod" than "hot rod" but something to do.

http://www.midwesthotrods.com/

22. Sweet deal something to do on my last day there ,

Sent from my ROID'S using the TJJ mobile app

23. im not from there, been there a few times. i enjoy http://giordanos.com/ last time we just drove around a lot saw some sights. i was there less then 2 days so diddnt do a lot. went through and interesting area...dont remember the street names though. have fun, and watch out for their toll system. that came back to bite me later.

24. any body else want to chime in ? I'm packing up to be there Monday lol , thanks for all the input guys ,

fenderless............................

25. ed_v

ed_v
    from Kentucky

Like others have said:

Hot Rod Cycle and Chassis in Addison

The Museum of Science and Industry

Kuma's Corner in the city for a burger

Get a Chicago stle hot dog (mustard, relish, onion, pickle, tomato, sport peppers, and celery salt.... do not ask for ketchup!)

Get some deep dish pizza... I like Pizzeria Uno

Portillo's Beef Sandwich

I love living in the country now. I moved here from Chicago last year. I do miss the food there though. Good eating there!

Ed

26. magneto57

magneto57

The zoo...............rich

27. Just wander up and down Michigan Avenue in the downtown area. Can't go wrong with all the cool shops there.

Art Institute, if you're even slightly interested in art, is a two day proposition, it's that large.

Too cold for the lakefront, dress warmly for anywhere. Rain all week, too.

Cosmo

28. hoagie

hoagie
    from IL

the Shedd aquarium is good on rainy days like it is supposed to be all week the Hancock is not so great when cloudy but impressive on clear days,personally i like the pizza and hot dogs but the Italian beefs are my favorite with Gardinera,wet and hot,Route 66 raceway won't open until 4/20 cause its too cold to test and tune this weekend Lincoln park zoo or Brookfield zoo are options if you do go to museum of science and industry got to go to Finnegans ice cream parlor its in the old time street exhibit oh the book of mormon is in town that week its supposed to be hilarious south park creators http://graphics.chicagotribune.com/mormon/review.html

29. awesome, hadn't heard of Kuma yet , for a burger ,oddly enough the wife and I used to run a hot dog stand and the true Chicago dog was one of our best sellers:), thanks again everybody , the for sures are HRCC and Voo-Doo Larrys and the parts of old auto row mentioned in post above , and if its the only sandwich I get I have to bring back proof of being to Al's lol