Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects on the bandwagon Heyitsnate's 36 5w build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by heyitsnate, Nov 7, 2011.

1. tbauer

tbauer

Looking good Nate ! I'll need to steal all your techniques to get my car together.

2. Panel Pete

Panel Pete

I just read all 8 pages of progress - amazing! I wish I had the talent for working with metal that you clearly possess. Subscribing to keep up with the excellent work, hope I can learn a trick or two along the way.

Pete

3. thanks Nate.
    I'm tackling my floors and cowl and this helps a lot.
    thanks again

4. tbauer

tbauer

What's happening Nate? Hope all is well with you.

5. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

i need parts! trying to gather a bunch before the next round of beatings!

6. tbauer

tbauer

Hey Nate! what parts are you rounding up I have a few spares. Could you post a picture of your floor boards up by the cowl ? Every one I've looked at has been rotted away or covered up. Thanks, Ted

7. Hey Nate! If those door sections I had my dad and uncle drop off with you will not work let me know. I have a line on more. I will get you what you need! Keep up the good work dude!

8. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

9. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

got my front suspension just about done. yes i know thats a left 'bone. over excited mock up.
    [​IMG]
    slowly working out that fender
    [​IMG]
    coming together now.
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

11. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

dead stuck. super bummed out on my project. i have accumulated a ton of parts but each part of my car is just jacked up enough to keep me from the next step. i cant seem to make any real progress so i think this one is going into storage until i can get a sense of direction again..

12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Ouch, that sucks..

13. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Dude-you are mega talented! Keep going man, you're making really good progress.

14. Take it in steps!! I know about being where you are at. This happens at work on every project and then on my car projects. Right now I have a ton of stuff and Im talking in weight and amounts of stuff scattered all around our yard and tomorrow we have a company coming in and ripping out our driveway, grading our lane and driveway and all in between then paving on Friday. Saturday I have 14 people showing up for a surprise birthday party for my mom . I really don't know how Im going to pull it off but here I am taking it in strides. One step at a time. I just moved some frames, a couple gas pumps, a couple vintage tire changers and both garages now are stuffed and the front yard will have 3 cars and a trailer on it. After that I need to chip out a bunch of concrete at the front onf the shop before asphalt. Then I have to clean around the barn for grading etc. All this by tomorrow at 7:00 AM!! My Hotrods will have to wait till next week. Also this is the first time my family will be together in 30 years so I want the shop and barn and house cleaned!!! Ugh!!! Baby steps!!! You do the same. I would hate to see your project stopped!! You can do it!!! Keep widdling away!! Your build is looking great!!! Maybe I'll swing by on the next sunny day with my 36 and we'll cruise around in it to get you fired up again!!!

15. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

im at the shop again today wrestling with hinge pins very unsuccessfully.i did make some progress but the reality of my project has bitten me. i havent really made any progress at all in the last 3 months, but ive put in about 90 hours and 2500.00. i feel like ive done everything i know how to do and the math just isnt there. appreciate the nice words and i know it sounds real whiny but this thing kicked my ass into a brick wall. im seeing why all those 35 36 build threads disappeared! its really just not fun for me anymore.

16. Are you trying to remove them? They make a small vise that presses them out. I tried everything to get mine out and then moved on to something else until I talk to a friend that has one of these tools. He struggled with his until using the vise to pop them. It was simple once he used the tool.

17. Hey how about we trade prjects for a while. The Whippet for the 36. I will get your car done where you will actually be farther behind than when you gave it to me and I know with your skills and incredible talent, my Whippet will be quality and way farther ahead!! You better not give in!!!!!! You have gone so far with killer results!!! If you need some of the small parts, I have a bunch of extras.

18. Say it isn't so! Remember its a hobby, a creative outlet. Your a young dude just walk away for a little while. Your problem my friend is that your a perfectionist! I do not suffer from that particular ailment.

19. I feel your pain....just spent the better part of two days wrestling with a door latch spring in my car. I destroyed a new spring and tore a nasty hole in my hand trying to install it, only to find out someone must have swapped the passenger-side latch for a late '36 latch that uses a different spring!

I have my days where I wonder why I sold a running, driving car for this pile of parts... Then I realize.... Cause it's a fucking '36 Ford! They're the coolest in my book.

You've already come a long way. Good luck re-motivating.....it'll be worth it.

And if you can't, sell me that grille.

20. tbauer

tbauer

Take a break. Recharge and hit it again. Please !

21. Please, listen to this .

22. I've felt that way a lot too Nate. It's nothing new. I try to work on something at least 1/2 a day if I can. That way I'm that much closer to getting it on the road. You can do it. You damn sure have the talent to have a nice car. Keep going! --Dale

23. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

I hope you find your way back to enjoying your build. Because I'm using it for inspiration for my build. Best of luck.

24. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

I just bought a '36 5w last wed. I've been reading this with great excitement. You can't leave me hanging......Let's get back to work here.

25. You have come to far to stop now!

26. swissmike

swissmike

Nate, take a breather and refocus. Your car has come such a long way! I wished I was as far along with my Merc.
    Pulled out the fiberglass, roof flashing and pop rivet floor repairs yesterday and it doesn't look pretty. At least it's a good excuse to buy some new sheet metal fabrication tools!

ImageUploadedByTJJ1368405019.037675.jpg

Reminds me of some of your early post.
    Hang in there...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

27. I heard this thread might "light up" again soon. Can't wait!!!!!

28. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

i'm back. got the doors off, started tackling the sheetmetal around the b pillars. i'll finish the final tweeking of positions for them when i do the outer 1/4 patches, but for now they're just about shaped ,test fit and ready. then i got out some more trunk floor and cleaned up the back subrails, repaired the bead above the passenger fender, and i've been getting packages in the mail and taking trips to the blaster about once or twice a week. i also started approximate fitting of the horn panels, grill and associated metal. when i get my radiator and core support it's ON LIKE DONKEY KONG. mostly boring stuff but i've re-committed to it. i just took a break from the tough jobs and bought a bunch of stuff. i almost have enough to get the body back in shape.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

my buddy josh shaking his head like "you're screwed..."
    [​IMG]

it does'nt look like it, but i have at least 6 hours in those horn panels to even get them fitting this good, and the fit still suuuucks....
    [​IMG]

i'll leave you with this. it's about 1/3rd of the parts that are up next.
    [​IMG]