Register now to get rid of these ads!

what did your father pass on to you???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4rod, Apr 10, 2013.

1. 4rod

4rod

Recently I have been cleaning out my parents barn as it has become my responsibility to start organizing and sorting all their stuff...I came upon some great old toys which I played with as a boy. cause we were pretty thrifty growing up we were always getting stuff from value village, goodwill and hand-me-downs...well Dads little cars were some of the toys we got...After finding them a was so impressed how these little cars and figurines held up over the years...now they've made it to my collectors wall...increased in value by amazing amounts and survived all the adventures in little boys hands...thank you Lesney...
    [​IMG]

2. steves29

steves29

Grey hair and the love of hot rods.

3. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Mechanical knowledge and never give up attitude.

4. erlomd

erlomd

a wealth of knowledge and advice for the future, and tons of neat stuff...I love my dad

5. tbird37821

tbird37821

Last Name......that's it

6. Same here

7. carmuts

carmuts

Short temper and the ability to cuss in 4 languages. His work schedule while I was growing up often left me in charge of many things on the farm, so I guesse work ethic is the best thing he passed on. Had to learn most mechanical, carpentry and other things on my own to get done all that needed done. Rod

8. robertsregal

robertsregal

The love of a cool car-mechanical knowledge-work ethic-brothers & sisters-great childhood are just a few of the things Shorty gave all his children!

9. Lotsa good memories, A Timex watch, a pair of toenail clippers, and a pistol that solved his problems.

10. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

11. Normbc9

Normbc9

I drive an old '32 Confederate Chevy four door standard as my daily driver too.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

12. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

The biggest thing was the "if you can't do it yourself then you don't need it mentality"...

13. 26 roadster

26 roadster

a 16 OZ Plumb hammer and a good work ethic. love you Dad, next year will be 40 years gone

14. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Speaking of fathers passing things on to
    their kids, this comes to mind!:eek::eek::D

"My daddy left home when I was three
    And he didn't leave much to ma and me
    Just this old guitar and an empty bottle of booze.
    Now, I don't blame him cause he run and hid
    But the meanest thing that he ever did
    Was before he left, he went and named me Sue
    ."
    - Johnny Cash - "A Boy named Sue"
    -----------
    Mart3406

15. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

This OLD CAR sickness, and 2 brothers !!!!!!!!!!!

16. papajohn

papajohn

Strong family values and a good work ethic.

17. Dizzie

Dizzie

Great work ethics. Seems to be hard to find these days. Hope to pass it on to my grandkids.

18. Terranova

Terranova

I'm 41 and he's in his 70's and every time I've thought I got it all out of him, he comes with more. When he passes, it will be the single most difficult thing I'll ever have to deal with but I'm excited for the future cause when my son came into this world five months ago, everyone said he looked like a little mini Ed. I'm so excited to try and pass on a tenth of what my dad has given me!

Attached Files:

19. The old man didnt appreciate much, gave me anything I wanted that he was gonna toss anyhow ... "Yeah I had one of those '32 roadsters ... in 1940. They were crap, no heater, plastic windows and the V8 ate alot of gas."

20. khead47

khead47

His Tool and Diemaker tools when he retired and I used them for over 30 years and still have 'em. RIP Dad.

21. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

22. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

My name is Lauren. Just like Sue

23. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

My dad taught me, mostly by his example, so many things as I was growing up, and really up until he died nearly 30 years ago. Among these lessons were: work hard, keep your chin up, love and take care of your family, be thankful for what you have, and I can still hear his words: "clean up your mess and put my tools RIGHT BACK WHERE YOU FOUND THEM!! Thanks, Dad.

I only hope I've passed on 1/10th of what he taught me.

24. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Take your time and do it right. Don't half-ass your work. And take good care of your tools. A true craftsman. Miss you, Dad

25. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

I was in the percentage that grew up without a father. He left me the fact that nothing is as it should be.

26. 54rat210

54rat210

All he gave me was a rusty 54 Chevy 210....

27. He told me "Never buy a car from someone living on a council estate" (I think you call them Housing Projects).

Only piece of worthwhile advice he ever gave me (or anyone as far as I know). He didn't leave me any money or property. He borrowed a lot off me though....

28. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I have four brothers two sisters & Mom's still here kickin our asses! Lost Dad in 91 but he left me with a will to learn and try anything! The work ethic that has been passed down to my daughters and a love of COOL RIDES! Still have his (FIRST BRAND NEW CAR) in my garage! Miss ya everyday Dad!

29. For most of my life ,I thought my Dad was a Mute...He never said anything directly to me ..I could hear him talk to everyone else on the planet,so I knew he had the ability..Finally , in '60 after I graduated High School, he hauled me to a Ford dealership...picked out a used '57 2dr. Fairlane Town Sedan.. Arranged all the paperwork,etc...Walked out, handed me the keys & the payment book.. and..said... "You break it, you fix it.." Those few words kinda set a pattern for the rest of my life...

I do owe him a lot for the mechanical curiosity I inherited, though

30. no55mad

no55mad

Strong work ethic, Farmall A, part of the old homested, and a few arrowheads.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013