Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speedway or bob drake or...(a flathead question)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53Chuck, Apr 9, 2013.

1. 53Chuck

53Chuck
    BANNED

Traded up to a 40 ford coupe and am looking to do a bit of spring spruce up to it. It's running a stock flathead and is in need of a new radiator. I have decided on a champion radiator, but I am not sure what pumps to get. It seems to me speedy Bill has been the go to guy for most folks. The bob drake units seem to have the same features as the speedway pumps but are a bit cheaper?

Any opinions?

Attached Files:

2. scrubba

scrubba

1. NEVER ever use a cheap water pump on a Flathead . Theres no such thing as too much radiator on a flathead either ! scrubba

3. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Walker makes a replacement for the original radiaator..... I put one in a customer's 40, and it's a perfect fit. Water pumps......Mine came from Sacramento Vintage Ford.

4TTRUK

6. 53Chuck

53Chuck
    BANNED

So, nobody has tried the speedway or bob drake units? The above mentioned rebuild is too expensive for me.I guess I'll ask the ford barn, they always have lots of opinions on flatheads. Thanks anyways

7. I've used Speedway pumps on two 8BA's and they have done a fine job.

Nice looking coupe by the way.

8. 1. You posted this thread 12 hours ago and you're getting pissy that no one has answered your question?

2. Speedway water pumps are $90 each, Drake's are $99 each. Skip Haney does a superior rebuild for $200/pair and that's too expensive for you?

Build any rockets lately?

9. I have Speedway pumps on my 40 Ford std coupe w/French flattie - they are the truck pumps and been on the car for 10+ years with no problems. I have been up and down the east coast with this car and to Austin, TX for the HRR - I guess you could say they have proven themselves!

They are also on my avatar with a fair amount of 5-800 mile round trips on it and I'm driving it to Bonneville this year .....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  10. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Skip's pumps are the best. I drive my Flatheads EVERYWHERE in EVERY temp and they have NEVER let me down. I also second the use of a Walker Z Line radiator. Is this your first Flathead?

11. flatout51

flatout51

My dad just ordered a set of drakes... On sale right now $125 a set

12. 42merc

42merc

I have Speedway pumps on one engine & Drake pumps on another, Both work well, but I lean towards the Drake pumps. The Drake pumps are about a $100 a pair. I know they are chiwan, but check the tag in your drawers & sneakers & then comment.

13. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I had a pair of pumps done by Skip, great job, fast turnaround, would recommend him highly.

14. I've read grief stories on after market pumps here and fordbarn.Rather than
    pulling them again for issues go with Skip!

15. If my sneakers fail I'll still be able to walk.

16. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I used one pair of speedway pumps and they did their job and the car they were in is still driving around with them 3+ years later. That said, If I build another flathead it will get skips. More than a few local guys run them and run them hard, including a local racer who tows his flattie powered racer to the strip in his flattie powered truck with skips pumps on it...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

17. 3340

Hey Tom, I Really Like The 40!

18. 53Chuck

53Chuck
    BANNED

Yes. The car came with a spare free turning flathead that I plan to build up some day. (Perhaps the day after i win the lotto).I tore the spare down with an older gentleman at work, who grew up in the 50's building hot rods in riverside
    California.

19. 53Chuck

53Chuck
    BANNED

Beautiful car sir.

20. 53Chuck

53Chuck
    BANNED

XL and a 13, but I don't see the connection.

21. I have Drakes pumps on mine. They are great, no issues at all. In fact, the Drake pumps combined with no thermos and a little Mustang radiator runs at 170 degrees. I might have to try some thermos to get the temp up another 10 or 15 degrees. I might add... while you've got the pumps off, do all you can to clean the crap outa the block. I used a water blaster with a long wand, and a length of 1/4" steel rod to poke around.... you'll be surprised how much rust scale, casting sand, bits of core wire and other debris are sitting in there.

[​IMG]

22. 53Chuck

53Chuck
    BANNED

I posted this because as I mentioned above I studied up pretty hard on a flattie here on the hamb and noticed a lot of HAMBers referring people the ford barn regarding Henry's jewel.

I also noticed that in most threads there is always someone that just has to be a dick.............

23. 53Chuck

53Chuck
    BANNED

I've heard that. I will certainly scratch around and get what I can.

24. Yeah, my Drakes were $120 for the pair when I bought them.

25. In JWLs book Flathead Facts, he has a picture of a flattie block sawn in half. The bottom of the water jacket (over the pan rail) is a V shape and had 2" of solid crap embedded there. Fortunately it doesn't seem to be a critical cooling area, but I'll bet most flatties would look the same if cut in half.

26. 53Chuck

53Chuck
    BANNED

That's the price I've found. They treating you right?

27. bobscogin

bobscogin

I've got the Bob Drake pumps on mine and I like them. Don't have any experience with the Speedway pumps.

Bob