Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration cars are built for car guys then there are cars built for non

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidh73750, Apr 8, 2013.

1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

^^^ if you ever want to have a crowd form around a car that has been sitting by itself for an hour stop and point a camera at it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  2. non car guys, regulars, rockabilies, REAL car guys, drug lords, whatever; they have one thing in common...they get mad if you pee on their car...

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Trust me, rock the "Baskerville look" (patent pending) your cred will jump big-time...;):p

ROFLMAO! This whole thread is a HAMB classic in the making...

4. Wrong, the rat rod guys love it-makes 'em rust faster!

5. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Rocking the Baskerville look would be much easier, for one I wouldn't have to consider losing the potbelly, and for two I hate socks and shoes in the summer. Would I have to wear the sandals hole I work on the car like David frieburger though?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. Rogueman

Rogueman

Ok, I think I understand the first question. We were all sitting (yes sitting) around talking about the coupe/truck (something) with the 80's fenders having a good laugh. One friend called it a WHAT THE F***! We were talking about some people should not be allowed to own a cutting torch or a welder.

I know it's not nice to talk about others cars, but WHAT THE F###.

7. Buzznut

Buzznut

REAL car guys aren't afraid to get grease under their fingernails, they've busted their knuckles turning rusted and rounded nuts more times than they can remember, they usually have at least one black fingernail and a few others that have healed up looking like a moon rock, they have hot oil burn scars, weld spatter marks and healed up gashes in the tops of their heads. They have more grease stained, acid burnt and weld-burnt t-shirts than they have Sunday worthy shirts. In their garage you can find extra gasket sets, carb rebuild kits, spare lugnuts, burnt pistons, extra cranks, hoses and wires of all gauges, diameters and lengths, any bolt you would ever need - both new and rusty, all the fluids needed for each vehicle they own in containers at various levels of full.... They have traded as many parts as they have paid for and they always keep extra trading material in the wings for the next project. Real car guys hoard parts "just in case" and are always looking for the next project...regardless of whether or not the other 2 or 3 they currently have going are done or not. Real car guys don't call themselves "real car guys" just like someone who is an honest and trustworthy person doesn't walk around telling everyone he is honest and trustworthy. Real car guys know how to do a brake job, or rebuild a carb, or replace a clutch or swap an engine, or all of the above. Real car guys aren't the ones standing there bragging about how cool their ride is...they're the guys offering advice on how to work through a fabrication issue, or fix a hard starter, or what parts to use, or making a commitment to come over and help a buddy wrench. Real car guys never think their cars are done, they can always find something wrong with their own car, and are always looking for ways to make it better. Real car guys are real...period.

8. Buzznut

Buzznut

Truer words are rarely spoken. I shoot cars all the time and without fail, 10 people will swarm around the car I'm trying to get a couple nice shots of.

9. What Buzznut said...

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

As soon as I do that, three forty something, big-assed broads in stretch pants always seem to appear from no-where, and start a conversation RIGHT in front of the car I am kneeling down in front of, camera in hand. Its like a universal law of physics or something...:rolleyes:
    Wonder if its related to the baggy shorts...:confused:

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats the real beauty of the "Baskerville look" it requires no effort whatsoever! I find I can usually just drag my fat lazy ass off the couch, and head out to the car show in the clothes I'm already wearing. Dont need to stop and roll my cuffs, or smear "cock grease pomade" in my hair, just slide the smelly old sandals on and head out. I do highly recommend wearing the sandals while welding, it leads to authentic "real car guy" welding scars on your feet, especially when your polyestor socks catch fire...;):p

12. I avoid car shows like the plague. I build things to be driven, while people sit an lie about their cars I'm out driving.

Just got fed up with the amount of BS that oozes from shows.

13. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Do I need a black tshirt and tattoos to be a car guy? I have neither but I still am a died in wool car guy

14. I agree with the OP comments based on what he observed and actually said. Many replys on this post reflect on what he didn't say, and what that may or may not imply (hence the way off topic perceived fashion critiqes and offenses).

His point was merely that the unsophisticated casual observer or newbie tends to be attacted to that which often offends the tastes of the well seasoned car guy/builder/collector/craftsman. It takes time and experience to really appreciate what has meaning and value regardless of style. A well executed example of any style car may possibly only be appreciated by those who know the blood, sweat and creativity required to do it tastefully with the right combination of parts, materials and finishes appropriate to the genre.

Similarly, its not unexpected to chug wine out of a box occasionally when you're a kid but you'll probably prefer something a little more refined later in life when you tasted enough to know the difference between swill and something that's been carefully crafted. (I still do keg stands so WTF do I know ;-))

My wife and I have been married for over 20 years and she's spent plenty of time around cars and car shows in that time. That doesn't make her an expert or someone who truly appreciates what makes a car "right". To my dismay, she's still attracted to the gaudy-blinged-out-POS-with-all-the-ugly- incongruous-parts-the-owner-could-assemble-and-pile-on-to-a-rolling-platform and call it a car at a car show. Go Figure.

PS: R.I.P. Gray (Dad)

Ken

15. cavman

cavman

In the immortal words of Margaret Thatcher.......some "real" car guys may know who she is......

"If you have to tell people you are, you aren't"

16. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Can I get one of those shirts pre-weld spatter burned?

If I get one with the spatter holes will they line up with the burn marks on my belly?

As far as welding in sandals goes....I tried welding barefoot, once. It worked great 'till I moved my foot and couldn't remember where the hot stuff on the floor wasn't!

17. Normant93

Normant93

That's interesting....when I shoot cars, people scream and hide and run away or call the cops, shit like that........oh wait........did you mean with a camera?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Epic thread, absolutely epic.:p

19. Real car guys? Fashion? Maybe just maybe those of us that are really addicted to cars like to look at inovation ,something different, something knew, Dont mean you have to love what they're doing but there seems to be some sort of code that all the 32's and 55's ect are built like the hundreds before them. Some people want to be different or build what they like not what everyone else will like. And I for one will applaud them but I wont stand there with dippity doo in my hair looking like Buddy Holly listening to rock' o' billy because thats the percieved look to be into traditional.Instead of judging the guy for not following the rules talk to him, maybe he built the car with his kid and has some of the kids style in it. I look for inspiration and ideas in every build I look at.

20. I didn't know there was a uniform. Been screwing with cars for 50 years and I don't have a black T and sure as hell don't have baggy shorts. In my day, it was white T's and levies, thats it. Unless you were at the beach, then its was a surf shirt and Jam's. Now that's traditional!!

21. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

This has been a very interesting read. First I hate this Car Guy shit. What the hell is a car guy. It is a very nebulous saying. I means all kinds of thing to different people. It's like that TV show "Car Crazy" WTF. I think of my self as a auto buff. I'm a person who is very interested in a particular subject (Cars). I don't need to dress like some car guy. Or look like some car guy. I'm not a car judge like some people are. I look at cars of all kinds and appreciate the time someone spent just getting it drivable. I only go to Car Club showings. The money they receive usually goes to some charity organization. They are out side shows. So you will get all kinds of people coming by and asking questions about your car. That's cool. It seems that the so called pay for view shows have more ass holes. I mean Good Guys......

PS. Being a auto buff also means some times working on them in near buff......

22. HAHAHAHAHA, my cat liked that one!

23. Just about lost my lunch reading this. Truly one for the ages.

24. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Here in Australia we often talk about street rodders and hot rodders. If you look in the trunk of a hot rodders car you will find an assortment of tools. In a street rodders trunk you will find an assortment of car polish and cleaning rags.

25. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

I wish I could take credit for this term of endearment but I heard it somewhere.
    I did however start to call them Civil War Re-enactors.

26. hoodprop

hoodprop

I love all the the cars from mild to wild. I have never understood why you buy or build something and never drive just because it is to nice or to rare. hell have fun drive the wheels off it.

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Its been used on the HAMB for years. Dont know if it really started here though...

28. metalman

metalman

I don't know why but i find this thread stupid but entertaining at the same time!
    I got to go with chopolds here. Being in the buisness I've learned there is NO WAY to determine car guys from non car guys (or the wanna-be's) by the way they look, how they dress, wrench on them or not or the size of their wallet!
    We have a problem with homeless and drunks that hang out in the area my shop is, once in awhile they wander in to beg for money and we have to run them off. One wandered in the other day and geez, he was just sober enough that we figured out he really was a car guy, really knew a lot about them. Like said, can't judge a book by the cover.

29. davidh73750

davidh73750

Car guys is used loosely. I didn't mean there was a uniform for car guys, you could almost tell by the way they approached the cars or demeanor. I have those friends who show me a posting on CL of a r*t rd on a s10 frame and explain to them differences. I have no tats. I don't wear black at summer shows like salina you'd fry. I do wear khaki goes well black shirts . i just dont dress like a biff ready for T-off.
    Like all the input here the young kid learning to dress was good analogy
    yeah that kitty-cat is a poser lol

30. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

i just wear a black shirt that says "car guy" on the back....