Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration cars are built for car guys then there are cars built for non

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidh73750, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Funny, he is credited with inventing the "Rat Rod" term.

2. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

If everyone built their car like mine i'd have to find something else to do.

3. wreckfixer

wreckfixer

Back to the original statement and observation here. When Discovery Channel did there latest Biker Build-off on both ocasions my wife liked what Paul Jr. built where I preffered and respected the more traditional choppers.

4. upspirate

upspirate

I like working and driving my cars.....to hell with shows!!

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I thought it was about some clown in a lawn chair judging who was a car guy, and who wasn't, and what constituted a "real car guys" style of build. ;)

I know I LOVE getting uninvited critiques from lawn chair experts on why the colors I chose were wrong, why did I pick those tires, why would I use that engine, and why didn't do whatever aspect of the car it was to suit whatever the "experts" opinion of what was appropriate.

Am I anti-social? A little, perhaps!:p

Brian

6. rockfish

rockfish

Too often when I read some of the posts on threads like this I'm reminded that "real" car guys can often be some of the most judgmental people in the world. Someone needs to come up with a test to figure out what the fuck "real car guy" means. Personally I don't have a problem with someone liking cars that are of a different style than I prefer.
    I really don't give a damn or judge people by how the dress at a show. Black t-shirts, polo shirt, Dickies or even rockabilly? I don't care. Has no impact on my life. Live and let live. Who am I to judge?

To the OP, this is not a rant against you. Sounds like you were just commenting on an observation you and some buddies made at a show. My complaint is the tired old us against them posts.

7. monc440

monc440

Since some of you have referenced the Discovery channel and biker build off, when we are done with this post can we start a "real" Biker post?

:D:D:D:D

8. fsae0607

fsae0607

Here's my $.02: real car guys have knuckle buster scars, dirty fingernails and rough hands.

Just like the almighty Porknbeaner's sig says: "if it don't make ya dirty it ain't yours".

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I really hate to comment on the "fashion" part of the shows, but it seems that the more so called 50's looking the guy is, the more antisocial, AND car clueless he is, sometimes. I believe a lot of these characters just use cars as a fashion accessory, they aren't real car guys, they're following the current fad.
    I've met true car guys that come in all shapes, colors and dress. Unless you talk to them you never know who is knowledgable, who built their own stuff, or has owned great cars since he was a teen, even if he doesn't build any more.
    My sister was a pretty good fashion designer, while I pretty much stay the same year after year. Every once in a while, whatever I've been wearing for the past 30 years, comes back into fashion, and I catch hell from my Sis, kiddingly calling me a fad follower.
    Don't be quick to judge, you can't tell a book from it's cover. And learn to appreciate craftsmanship and good work in all the different forms of automobile hobbies.
    And if you go to a show or cruise night, I'm sure you'll find a soul with similar outlooks, even among the posers, lookers, "experts", and critics. Just chuckle at the others, don't get pissed, cause they're not just like you!

10. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

11. This thread is about clothes?!

12. fsae0607

fsae0607

Maybe so. If you wear mechanics gloves a lot and wash dishes at home regularly your hands do get clean.

13. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

WOW!

A couple of things to point out. Waaaaaay more guys with collared shirts have cars than the "black shirt" crowd. Last I checked cars were bought and sold with money. If you didn't notice there were tons of no car having walkabillies on a mission to be seen. There usually are. Just because you don't play dress up doesn't mean you're not a car guy.

14. So Based on this opinion i guess that any one who doesn't or can't risk abusing their hands can't be a real car guy?

Think musicians, surgeons, and the like. Fucked up hands can ruin their career.
    And guys with busted knuckles and grease imbedded under their skin and fingernails empirically only means a few things:
    They can't handle tools
    They don't know what gloves are
    They were out of soap.
    None of those are CAR GUY related behavior.

15. No shit! What the hell do clothes and thread have in common?

Sent from the toilet.

16. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

And what's with all those cats wearing Fez's?

Attached Files:

• Fez.JPG
      Fez.JPG
      File size:
      56.7 KB
      Views:
  17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Or anyone with a white collar job...;) This whole thread is funny as hell. Although if you look REALLY close, there are a lotta scars on my clean hands...

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That cat looks like a poser to me...:eek::p

19. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

All this fashion talk has made me realize I may be viewed as an asshole greaser type young guy buy the real old car guys. My best friend is a tattoo artist and I got alot of tattoos and an interest in them from him, and I tend to wear jeans and black shirts because fat people (me) in the Midwest seem to delude themselves into thinking it looks better. I think I need to buy some khakis and sandals...

20. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Of all the odd or so called rat rods ,this is the best I've ever seen.:cool:

Attached Files:

21. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

You rate by clothes, I rate by number of Tattoos. To each, his own.

22. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I think the OP's point is that a subtle change or modification is noticeable to a "car guy" and the more wild, outrageous, or severe mods are noticeable the the entire crowd.

23. OK for all you guys worried about whether or not you dress like a REAL car guy.
    How about this idea?

Im always willing to help a fellow HAMBer out. :D

Don't go to another show in fear, get your REAL CAR Guy gear here !!!

$20.00 US (plus shipping and handling)
    -available in all sizes except wimpy and pompus-assed. :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  24. Long Roof Larry

Long Roof Larry

walkabillies..... Never heard this before but boy does it fit perfectly!! Thanks Superjunkman for the laugh and now I know what to call them when I see them. We always just called them posers. Yours is such a better term!

25. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

To really narrow it down, It's this "Pinch Chinga" that all the NON car guys get all hard about.

"WOW, the whole rear Suspension is mounted just in the middle?":rolleyes:

"Is called Suicide Suspension, like . . . You die & shit?":rolleyes:

Some fenders & bed would look 10,000 times better. It's like everyone is trying to be "Lord Humungus"

Attached Files:

26. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

That cat looks like a poser to me...:eek::p

Attached Files:

27. Can I get one of those shirts pre-weld spatter burned?

28. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Nicccccee . . . . You're gonna make bank, ese! Sent me one for free. Yeah?

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what was the question?

30. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

I've noticed sometimes if I walk up to a car that no one is looking at, and really start studying it. I'll have a crowd of 4 or 5 people investigating what I'm so curious about. It's natural if there's a crowd standing around one particular car, you gotta see what all the hub bub is about!