Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Willys PU build....from sedan panels.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kiwi Kev, Apr 22, 2012.

1. drumyn29

drumyn29

Well that sucks, I just bought two sets of axles!

I heard that currie and dutchman share the same forgings?

2. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Sorry about my rant, hope you have better luck than I did. very COOL Willys Kevin!! I used to have one,(the one in my avitar), I remember the West Coast Willys Club, might have been a member??? (too old} THANKS Chris

3. drumyn29

drumyn29

I hate drama but i have to see this through.

The one and most important fact that this individual is leaving out is that the axles we made were not 33 spline (1.415 OD) but 12 spline (1.375 OD). To some this may not seem that important, but in the world of axles this is a huge factor as to why the standard 1541 alloy shafts did not survive in his race car. A fine spline will have more load per tooth than a course spline any day of the week and that in combination with the wrong choice of forging (on his part I might add…wanting to save a buck no doubt) is why the shaft failed. If, after the failure, he changed his side gear to 33 spline and went with Mark Williams axles, it was mostly because he changed to a fine spline rather than the upgraded axle material that he avoided any further failures. I have made countless 33 spline axles in race cars allot meaner than mister Lytle’s without incident. In the case of Chris, and unfortunately many others that we make axles for, we are not always able to make an axle the way it should be made for a given application because either the customer leaves out important vehicle information up front, thinks he knows better than we do or isn’t willing to or doesn’t want to pay the extra money to do things the right way the first time. I can guarantee that if we were to have made a set of axles that were actually 33 spline and not 12 spline they would not have failed. Additionally, if the Mark Williams shafts were 12 spline and he never changed his side gears to 33 spline then the axle material is chrome-molly and that’s what he should have purchased from us in the first place.
    If Chris is ever in the need for a new set of axles and is willing to give Dutchman another shot and provides us with a complete picture as to the intended use of the vehicle I will give him $100 off a pair of axles.

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm a little confused. Drumyn, are you posting a quote from someone at Dutchman's or are you an empolyee of the company?

5. I will buy axles from a company that gives better customer service than Chris received. I'm sorry I ever mentioned axles!! Please, no more axle talk on this thread.

6. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Mr. Kev - love following your builds! Can't wait to see the one on your '34 pickup. Pleez post a link on here when it gets started! You are an inspiration to us all. Thanks again. :cool:

7. Great pictures! And I don't see any Palm trees!:)

8. I really love that dimple dye grill insert, I need something like that for my 41 chev truck. Whomever stepped up to buy your truck is getting a pretty nice piece, it has a fantastic look to it, nice job.

9. The dimple die insert is just hole saw holes in fiberglass painted silver. It was the easiest way out but I like that look also.

10. linkstar69

linkstar69

Every time I look at one of your threads Kev I get new ideas

11. Tricky Dicky !

12. New owner wanted a tranny tunnel added before it heads out. Here are a few pics. Foot room is tight but it looks like an Offy gas pedal will work....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Baumi likes this.
  13. As with the rest of the truck that tunnel is rad

14. Kevin,
    As always nice job. I take it the new owner is a hamber. Hopefully he will keep us informed on future progress.

15. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

16. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

17. Pats6yhop

Pats6yhop
    from usa

I could bolt the cowl to the fenders and work my way back.[​IMG]

18. A few days ago I got a West coast Willys club E mail with a link to a 37 Willys sedan body only for sale for $500. It belonged to an Artist in Yucca Valley that had acquired it years ago and was using it for yard art. Turns out it was all shot up and full of bullet holes, not savable as a sedan but a pick up body candidate maybe. So what the hell, I went and bought it today and I will store it away for possible future use. It is obviously very rough but so much better than what I started with for the truck in this thread. It has major bullet hole issues and the roof has been danced on but there is not a spec of rust, very solid sheet metal to work with. I already have a frame and springs so I guess I will start slowly collecting parts for it. It is far down on my list of things to do but I like to have the building material on hand as I plan to live another 70 years or so:eek:. I plan on selling the front fenders and hood and also the rear floor (solid!) and a few other misc' parts to get all my money back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

here we go again:)

raven likes this.
  20. drumyn29

drumyn29

That rear floor would sure look purdy under ma coupe!

21. It has your name on it, give me a call.

22. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

May the illness continue

Scotty

23. That back yard has a lot more "stuff" in it since the time I visited Kevin.:)

24. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

can i just subscribe to a person on here?--- ;)---cant wait to see what happens with this one

25. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

That body already looks way better cut up.

26. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Think the new owner of the pickup will add updates to this thread?

27. Yes he will for sure.

28. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Man, that didn't take long. I'm buying stock in cutoff wheels, what brand do you use?:D

29. You should keep the 37 front and use it, I like a little bit of different and really like that style front end. Hell if I had a Willys I'd use it for sure, wonder if that would fit on a 41 chevy...lol

30. biscaynes

biscaynes

X2, love the look of the '37-'39 noses!