Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New Project! 1961 GMC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fsae0607, May 30, 2012.

1. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

When I first started working as a mechanic for a large school system here in Ohio Some 30+ years ago we had a bunch of GMC school busses with 401 V6's in them. One winter below zero morning while trying to get one fired up, one of the other mechanics dumped a whole can of starting fluid down the carb. When it hit it shot fire out the exhaust and carb then blowed both valve covers off it, one hitting the mechanic in the chest and knocking him off the fender. Yea I remember them well.

2. 48reo

48reo

nice truck! I drove a 61 chevy for years....loved it! I would keep the paint.

Attached Files:

3. fsae0607

fsae0607

I'm well aware of the fact that it's a work truck. I think it has 4.11 gears IIRC. Have to make the vegas trip once, I will be budgeting for gas! It'll be a weekend/friday to work driver until the 283/4 speed goes in!

:eek: Time for a new mechanic hahaha!

Thanks for the kind comments everyone!

4. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

The Jimmy V-6's aren't something you hear everyday anymore, dual pipe them get em to sound good and gear the rear end up, let everyone else has a sbc.

5. Killer truck. I am digging how your mindset changed on the exterior color. I am digging that Green/White combo. I may be a bit bias though as my OT GMC Typhoon is one of the rarer combos of Green/Silver. Oh and my other OT vehicle is Green too. Now I am green with envy. I like your idea of a hotrodflats version of the OE color. Offset wit a heavy metalflake silver or high gloss white parts that are already white would look killer.

Wish I could say I like the green/white wheels, but I don't. But then again I can't say what I would like for wheels on it either.

Zero experience here with that big ass V6. I think I'd personally drop in a generic V8 for economy sake only. The big V6 has cool factor, but I can't imagine it being efficient enough to drive regularly, especially to Vegas and back. Gotta give you props for taking that on!

Like others have stated before me, drop it clean it, DRIVE IT!

BTW congrats on the young on on the way!

6. servi53

servi53

you put a t5 and about a 3.55 or so rear end in it and it should do good on gas, if you gear it right you sure as hell won't use any more gas than a v8 with that cool big 6

7. Bigdavid

Bigdavid
    from Tennessee

For my 2 cents worth,I'd go with a little less gear and that t5 like the last post said. I really like your truck.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

8. fsae0607

fsae0607

Thanks again everyone for the nice comments! For sure I want a 283 and maybe I'll start building it way later this year. Maybe I'll go with a 5 speed, cross that bridge when I get there.

9. slammed

slammed

[​IMG] I have this one in my sights. Its much rougher than yours by a long ways.

10. fsae0607

fsae0607

Wow that would look badass slammed!

11. fsae0607

fsae0607

Alright... time for another update.

Today, I finally got to fire up my 61! It's been about 20 years since it last ran. This video is a compilation of a few vids during the "firing up" process. All the work so far has finally paid off! I'm surprised at how smooth it runs.

Next on the list is all new brake hoses, wheel cylinders and to bleed the hydraulic system. Then tires, registration, insurance and I can drive her around!

Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/2c3ob5-vA8M

:cool:

12. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Am I missing something, what was wrong with this truck to begin with? Why did it just sit int he garage for 20 years. Besides that, I don't see 1 thing wrong with the truck. I'd get it back to operational and leave it exactly as is. What is wrong with just keeping the V6 in it?

13. fsae0607

fsae0607

The truck sat in my dad's garage for 20 years. I just got it June of last year, had it towed to my house. I've been working on getting the engine started after all this time.

14. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I understand that, but why did it sit in his garage for 20 years/ Cool truck. Looks like it just needed to be woken up and put back on the road. Rip Van Winkle.

15. fsae0607

fsae0607

Along with that 61, my dad has many other trucks. He promised this truck to me upon graduating college. Fast forward a few years, I got married, bought a house and now have my own garage to work in.

Thanks! Just woke her up today and getting her roadworthy! :cool:

16. fsae0607

fsae0607

Ok... Just took the 61 around the block! All these hours and headaches have now culminated to the first drive. Needless to say I feel euphoric as hell! I'd like to thank the HAMB for having me and all the advice and help from the members here. Now if you'll excuse me, time to celebrate with an ice cold beer! :D

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

17. fsae0607

fsae0607

Finally... the goal has been reached. I drove my truck to work this weekend and she ran great! Took her across the Valley and on the freeway. Also got her registered with new plates and tags. She's ready for Viva this weekend.

Here she is at my work's parking lot.

[​IMG]

18. fsae0607

fsae0607

19. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

Nice driver, have a great time at VIVA!

20. Buzznut

Buzznut

Can you just find him another bed? I would do everything in my power to leave that truck alone...it's too damn cool the way it looks right now. Maybe an attitude adjustment a little closer to terra firma, but damn...color is bad ass too. Sweet ride....subscribed.

21. fsae0607

fsae0607

Thanks! Yeah I'm so stoked for Viva, it'll be the first car show I'm actually in. Spent many a weekends and paychecks to get her running and road-worthy.

Buzznut, my dad and I aren't going to swap beds after all. I found him a good source for repop body panels and what not. I have plans to install drop spindles in the front and swap hubs to have tapered roller bearings. I priced out new ball bearings... damn lots of $$$ :eek: I want to lower the front with the drop spindles and leave the rear at stock height to give it a nice rake.

22. Buzznut

Buzznut

Sweet, keep us posted.

23. slimpick

slimpick

Keep the paint - it looks awesome!

24. Great truck! My Dad had a baby blue one when I was a kid in the late 60's. Love those eyebrow hoods too. Don't be afraid to just fine tune it and enjoy it for awhile as it is. Not everything on the planet needs a small block Chevy swap. Good luck with the project.

25. Coty

Coty

No one said anything about it, but your HAMB tag just looks awesome next to that old 6.

26. fsae0607

fsae0607

You know, after the compliments I got at Viva, I think I'm going to go ahead and keep the 305 in it. It is a badass looking engine.

Thanks!!! :D

27. fsae0607

fsae0607

Alright! Home safe and sound from Viva 16! Here's a few pics from the car show.

Since I got my truck roadworthy only a week before Viva, I decided to play it safe and tow it up there. Luckily my grandfather lives in Henderson, so we unhitched there and I drove it in.

[​IMG]
    Ready to go..

[​IMG]
    Halfway there...

[​IMG]
    Staging area on friday morning.

[​IMG]
    My spot at the show.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Me.

[​IMG]
    From L-R: me, my two cousins and my dad.

[​IMG]
    The wife.

All in all it was a good trip. On the way up we suffered a busted valve stem on the trailer tire, but some duct tape got us to Henderson where we had it fixed. Next year for sure I'll be driving my truck to Viva. :cool:

28. Good times, great pics!
    Love this truck

29. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I saw you on the side of the road with a flat trailer tire. We were in a hurry so I couldn't stop (My band was playing that night).

Glad i got to see your truck in person, and Im SO GLAD youre not going to turn it into a 'mediocre-a-billy truck'.

I would reconsider EVER giving it a new paint job, it just looks so perfect as is.

30. fsae0607

fsae0607

Thanks for stopping... j/k! :D

Yeah thank god I brought duct tape, tools & an inflator. The valve stem split at the base. When I worked at a tire shop before, I remember seeing someone repair theirs with duct tape when we had a bad lot of stems on tires we installed. The duct tape held the stem in position enough to slow the leak for the 13 miles we had left to my grandpa's house in Henderson.

Did we meet during the show? I talked to many people and was disappointed I didn't meet any HAMBers (I did say hi to Alex from Gambino Kustoms at his booth).

Not to worry, no flat black/red rims here. I'm going to hop up the 305 with dual strombergs and bigger exhaust/glasspacks this year. My wife's getting me a new leather welding jacket for my bday this week so it'll be time to start fabbing up the exhaust!

As far as paint goes, it'll be the last thing I do. I'm keeping the same color scheme, but using the Hot Rod Flatz paint or similar.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013