Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Willys PU build....from sedan panels.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kiwi Kev, Apr 22, 2012.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Kev PM me and we can talk, I may have a friend thats extremely interested, No fee's to pay anyone :D

2. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

Kevin,
    Can you tell me anything about the headlights you used in your truck?
    I like the way they look...

Steve

[​IMG]

exterminator likes this.
  3. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I am buying a lottery ticket tomorrow so I should be ready for the truck by the weekend :)

Kev I would want you to set up the blower and the injector :):)

4. These headlights are pretty common on Willys but they are not stock from the factory. They are sealed beam conversion rings that I think were sold at auto parts stores like Western Auto and J C Whitney. Maybe dealership parts departments too. You will see them on many different makes of cars from the old days that had them added to update the headlights to brighter sealed beam units. I saw this pair for sale one year at the fathers day swap meet. They were complete and had nice chrome. Most you see are old paint or pot metal finish. Some have turn signal lenses. Anyway they were sitting there with a price of just over a hundred bucks and I admired them several times but didn't buy them. After the swap meet, for the next year I kept thinking about them and was kinda kicking myself for not buying them. Next year at the Fathers day swap meet they were there again, this time sixty bucks, so I grabbed them right up. Like most of my swap meet purchases I had no plans at the time to use them, I just thought they were a good buy and I may not see any like that any time soon. Turns out they were perfect for this project and a lot less expensive than repro Willys headlight rings.

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

We've got a pair of those. Also passed 'em up just to grab them at another swap meet. The box said Pathfinder, sealed beam, no. 93, 1937 Ford.

Lights 004 (800x600).jpg

Lights 014 (800x600).jpg

6. Kevin,
    I think thats why most of us have no room left in the garage. Or its something we just can't live without.

7. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

Thanks to both of you for the information, Kevin and landseaandair

Steve

8. Well the truck has a new owner. Never did make it to the auction site. I am a happy seller and he is a happy buyer and we will see it back on this thread after a while looking better than ever. New owner is a secret for now, no it's not Langy's friend.

9. SimonSez

SimonSez

Cool, you'll be able to have some swap-meet fun now topping up the parts stash!!

10. One thing I will be getting is a new pair of axles for my Willys coupe. I picked up a 31 spline spool a couple of days ago in a trade. Want to get it in there before Eagle Field.

11. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazing skills and WOW. Wish I was closer I would be there asking all kinds of questions and trying to soak up knowledge .

12. -Brent-

-Brent-

So cool, Kev. What's the next project?

13. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

Thats great news!Glad both of you are happy. I am glad to hear someone on here bought it,that way we know it went to a good home.They will have fun for sure with the truck ...

Steve

14. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

hopefully it will be this one :)

[​IMG]

15. I think my next project will be my 34 pick up. I want to make it my daily driver. My reason to do it next is I think it can be done in not much time. My other projects require a lot more fabrication. It will look pretty much like this. Y block power. It should be a simple and quick build compared to the Willys. I have about 80% of the parts on hand.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
    curbspeed likes this.
  16. Sweet! Hope you do a build thread on it.
    I'm kinda partial to '34 Ford trucks. :D

17. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

waaaaaaa I was hoping for the coupe

The Kiwi Express !!!

18. drumyn29

drumyn29

Hey Kev!

I would like to hire you to build motor mounts, alt bracket and brake pedal for my Willys coupe!!

"jigsaw" jeff

Attached Files:

19. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Glad you guys are making the TRIP Kev', we plan on tightening up the Runway on Sunday so you can put the 31 spline axles to the test!

20. CalGasser

CalGasser

Went and checked out the finish product today before it heads to its new home. I saw it many times in the build process but not when completed. I have to say (as if you guys don't already know) that Kiwi Kev is an artist - actually my wife said that and I agree! It's amazing that what he had to start with to the finish product. Only for someone with great foresight (and skills) can one do what Kevin did - a visioneer. Awesome Kev, I'm sure the new owner will be happy with his new ride!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  21. drumyn29

drumyn29

call derek at dutchman axles.

22. CalGasser

CalGasser

How do these axles compare to Moser in quality and price? Thanks for reminder, forgot about them.

23. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

Truck came out bitchin!

Another +1 for Dutchman Axles. I have a set of them in my 64 Biscayne. Really nice quality.

24. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Hi; Dutchman axles are JUNK ! When my 33 spline shattered like cold bread in my Model A pickup,they told me, (and I quote) "either put a smaller motor in your car,or plan on less high performance driving" buy Mark Williams and you will NEVER have problems!! Chris

25. Jeff....Give me a call some time, I think you still have my #. If not PM me.

I have had good luck with Moser axles in the past but the 29 spline pair in my coupe are twisted badly so I will probably go with MW this time.

At the moment I own a coupe and pick up at the same time but the pick up will soon be gone so I took a few pictures of them together for future memories.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

exterminator and bryanyeskie like this.
  26. drumyn29

drumyn29

How much horsepower are you making? Where they ford, olds or chevy axles?

Great, I just bought two sets from dutchman.

27. Kevin,
    The truck turned out great. In agreement the new owner should be happy. Are you going to run a stick against the y block? What about induction? Hope your going to start another build thread on it.

28. I haven't decided on the tranny for the truck yet but it will be a manual. My plan for this truck is to make it a basic hiboy with some vintage speed equipment from New Zealand. Berry and Chung speed equipment made some cool parts back in the 60's/70's and I have a 3 carb intake for a Y block and a 4 sp shifter, also a few other items ( gas pedal, dagger dip stick). I will do a build thread when I get started.

[​IMG]

29. drumyn29

drumyn29

I just spoke with Derek and Dutchman sells 1541 alloy axles which all of the company's use or they have an upgraded chrome-alloy 4140 or 35 spline. AND the 33 spline axles come with an unconditional 2 year warranty…they would have replaced it for free. I have to ask, do you work for Mark Williams?

it's always better to ask than to believe everything you read.

I'll be putting these axles to the test and update my findings.

30. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Hi; I bought Dutchman axles in 2001 when I put my Model A pickup together, It has a 468 BBC, about 450 HP 4 speed Muncie and a Frankland Quickchange ,street tires on the back, and weighs 2000 LBS. I don't baby this truck because thats why I built it, but the axles should have NEVER broke on this car, one shattered into about 15 pieces, the other twisted about 1/8 the way around. I sent the axle that shattered to Dutchman to be tested, they called me back and said there was nothing wrong with the axle and they would be HAPPY to sell me another one! I told the guy ,you just told me there was nothing wrong with the axle that shattered into 15 pieces, what kind of a FUCKING idiot would I be to buy another one??? I told him to send my axle back and put into writing what he just told me, when I got the axle back they had machined the broken end off so you couldn't tell it was ever broken ! and the letter said " to put a smaller motor in my car or plan on less high performance driving" I still have the letter and pics of the shattered axle and pieces!! this was a 33 spline axle which they claimed was for Dragracing??? so you can see why I do a lot of ADVERTISING for Dutchman! and I would WELCOME a PM from them if you or anyone else think Im full of shit! The MW axles have been in for 11 years and have seen some severe abuse that Dutchman axles could only dream of!! THANKS Chris