Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Are you a outcast in your neighborhood?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dsiddons, Apr 7, 2013.

1. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Like us I mean..

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Boy I must have it good. I just moved into what you could call an "established high-rent neighborhood". I've been here about a month and all my neighbors have been more than cordial, and were very inquisitive when the old cars rolled in.

Two of my neighbors have hit me with stories of thier first cars being Model A's, since seeing mine, and more than a few had some excited "what the heck is that" remarks when the Studebaker showed up on a trailer (no brakes at the time).

I do as was said before, tread lightly at first, and if it looks like a go, I can start getting more 'creative' with my exhaust options. Inviting the neighbors over for future cocktails (when I get my Garage-Bar set-up) seems to have worked too...

3. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Wow. That sucks. Wonder what their passion is?

4. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Waxing a Mustystang, doing yard work, and lording over the title of HOA president. :rolleyes:

I should be nicer, he might find this thread.

5. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

hell ,I have a good friend of mine who lives a hour north of me, he is for sure the neighbourhood jerk, and doesn;t give a rats rear for anyone but himself, burnouts in his driveway, shitbox cars and crap all over his side and backyard , open exhaust motorbikes riden around the block, he is a buddy of mine but I wouldn't want him as a neighbour, he tried to sell his house a while back because he says the neighbours are jerks , when you live in a glass house you shouldn't throw rocks, anyway the people have turned on him and his young family, he couldn't sell the house after that, like many have said already here, don't crap where you live !:eek:

6. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

This this and more of this. Most of my neighbors hate all my bikes & loud cars, but they just deal with it, since they know Im a solid guy, and definitely the go to guy if something is wrong with any of their cars.

7. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

"Are you a outcast in your neighborhood?" No, not an outcast. But I am not typical for my neighborhood. I'm an older single guy who drives old cars and motorcycles. I keep odd hours (late). My bikes might be a bit loud but I warm them up in the garage when leaving. I am careful about noise from my shop.
    I pay attention to my neighbors. I snow blow their yards. I help them with their home repairs. I am polite and I treat them with respect. We get along well.
    Most people in my neighborhood are hardworking parents of young children. These families have enough stress in their lives. They don't need any stress from me.

This is my home. This my neighborhood.

"
    Now we must all know he was just kidding right? " That could be an assumption. But, I'd rather not assume.

All the best,
    Dale
    Cleveland OH

8. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I don't know where you got this misconception at. But I don't have anything in my driveway or any junk around my house. I don't plan on doing a burnout with my flathead anytime soon. I just moved into a nice new home that I thought I would never have. And feel a little out of place is all. I hope to make new friends but feel that I maybe a outcast.

9. Fireant

Fireant
    from Texas

X2

10. Lakewood says we must have at least two, race cars, boats or old cars to live here.

11. 61falcon

61falcon

keep a low profile until you get to know the neighbors. what you do in your garage isnt anyone elses business.

12. Don't shit where you eat

13. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I guess I should say really why I'm a little scared. A friend of mine got a letter from his home owners that said he could not park junk cars in his driveway. His car is a daily driver that is registered and insured. He has done work on it as he drives it. He fighting the citation now. It's not that he has a junk car. It's a neighbor that doesn't like the sight of it because it's old? Or maybe because my buddy really likes it.

14. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

A lot of good advice from you all. I will keep you posted. Plan on making friends and doing the right thing... My wife is really happy and so are the kids. So I guess I'm doing something right.

15. Truckedup

Truckedup

My nearest neighbor is about 400 feet away...They all suck with their fucking barking dogs.But when I drive by in one of my old shit boxes they wave and smile. They also pull their kids up close ...We're the people that live down the curvy long dirt driveway like some vampire nest back in the woods.

16. Iceman7578

Iceman7578

I went through this. Do a fat burnout and who cares what the neighbors think. Be yourself brother. Always gonna be someone that bitches so oh well. My 2 cents.

17. Start off by throwing a big"Breakin in the neighbors" party! Invite all yer wildass pals,biker buddies and hotrod guys. Have burnout contest and big ass bonfire with loud music! I did just that many years ago and everyone left me alone! PERFECT!

18. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Maybe try being a polite and respectful citizen. If you act like an ass, you'll be treated like one.

19. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

Show a little respect. No HOA in my little neighborhood; my stuff isn't too loud. The kids on one side of the house have been putting loud pipes on their Silverados (got the Brady Bunch living there, must be 2 or 3 teenage boys in the pile) but they aren't ignorant about showing off. Biggest issue is the guy on the other side with a little subaru that sounds more like a hopped-up jap motorcycle than anything else. Would wake the dead-and my wife, everytime he starts that thing up. Me, here in the middle? Nobody has ever complained about the yardfull of old iron, but several have wandered over to ask questions and admire. Quiet exhaust sure helps.

20. FANTM58

FANTM58

I live in a neighborhood full of imports and SUV's
    There are about 3 other guys with some cool cars in about 300 hundred houses
    My wife is always comparing my garage to the neighbors,,,,,not even close.
    Funny thing is ,during a garage sales had a lot of the neighbors
    Touring my garage , and saying that is what a garage is for !!!
    And yes I have done my share of repairs for my neighbors .
    I have a guy next door who calls a handy man to hang a ceiling fan ??? WTF !!
    But I can get all the financial advice I need ,,,
    I get along with these people , but I have no common interests with them.i don't play golf.
    They all seem to appreciate my rides , but they have no idea what they are,,
    When it snows around here , I go up the street sideways and drifts all the corners
    The looks I get are priceless . If I have to drive in the stuff , I'm gonna have some fun .
    He's 15 and wants a 59 Invicta for his first car .
    I've had the neighbors on each side of me move . Is it me ?

21. What? Are you twelve? Really?

22. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Things can get sticky if you have to deal with a HOA. Play it low key, soundproof your garage and use common sense. You will do alright.

23. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

I absolutely have been, AM and probably ALWAYS WILL BE..... the neighborhood outcast. I'm just weird....

It's just who I am. Like the dog with the broken tail that doesn't wag.

When I was 19.... I did a "rent to own" on a REALLY nice house with a pool, in Florida. I was making great money, had a new truck and SEVERAL old cars.
    The house was in a "deed restricted community" (CC&R's). My 19 year old ass had NO IDEA what that meant.

It meant a rash of shit.

The house had a 2 car garage and a concrete pad at the side for like a boat or RV. I had a nice 54 chevy coupe frenched headlights, nosed decked and shaved. It was faded maroon and I paid $600 bucks. Also had my first car a nice 63 Nova SS--looked stock with a V8, a 1926 ford roadster project and new truck and a later model T-bird.
    Neighbors were ALL old. And I mean farting dust OLD.
    They caused all kinds of trouble with "too many cars", "too much noise", etc.

I knew NOTHING about the Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions. Like cars can't leak ANY fluids on your own driveway, no more than 1 car outside of the garage. No street parking. Etc, etc.
    The mailboxes were all on one side of the street (across the street from me). One day I put up one of those flamed mailboxes. The neighbor tried to crucify me and ended up looking like an ass. The residents amended the rule so they could have goofy old fart mailboxes and american flag designs!!!
    I ended up NOT buying the house (thankfully for a LOT of reasons). AND yes, my attitude sucked.

Over the years I have learned that people are all different. I have NEVER been accepted by my neighbors for the old cars, my personality, looks, etc.

I am a "Non Conformist" and it bites me in the ass every time.

Fast forward to today. My neighbors are mostly old and most houses are bigger than mine. They whisper when they walk past my house (well kept and manicured to a medium standard). They talk to me about my cars....old stories and the such...but they don't get it. The biggest Asshole has a long driveway and his house looks like hell (but he's been here nearly the longest). He even has a vintage British car under a tarp.
    I just smile. In THEIR defense I have had 5-6 different old cars here in the last 18 months and crazy Russian semi truck drivers loading cars for me someone bought on ebay or whatever....or dropping off my latest find.

I have been a Realtor for quite a few years now.

Here's my 2 cents:
    KNOW YOUR RIGHTS!
    If you rent...know your rights and realize you might end up moving. If you OWN..do what you can to get along or sell and move if you can.

IF YOU OR ANYONE YOU KNOW IS GOING TO BUY A HOUSE....... DO THE RESEARCH!!!!!!!!
    CC&R's exist for a reason. They protect YOU and THEM.

If the neighborhood doesn't allow old cars parked out in the open (CC&R's can discriminate against nearly anything outside of people themselves), DON'T BUY A HOUSE THERE. Period.
    If you were there first, know your rights.
    The City, County, etc CAN and WILL tow away cars that don't run or aren't current on plates, tags, reg, etc.
    I had a Nova towed once DURING a multi day engine swap (they waited until the engine was out)... cost me nearly a GRAND. And I saw RED.

I hate my neighbors and they hate me. But they smile at me and I smile back. My house looks nice, my cars are all licensed, insured and I have a 6'6" tall (to code) matching gate leading to my 20' wide sideyard with car hauler and rusty junk covered and hidden.
    I also don't run compressors, grinders, welders after say 10 PM (ish). I don't fire up open headers, loud motorcyles, etc unless it's well into daytime and neighbors are mowing, walking, being loud etc.
    Hell, I pushed my old Mustang with loud dual exhaust down the driveway and down the street a few houses before I fired it off.....last Fall on my way to an early morning Rod Run.

I could care less about most all of my neighbors.. but I also am NOT going to whack a Hornets nest with a stick every time I walk past it!

On a side note......

A few years back I owned a great old house from the turn of the Century in town. Neighbors were mostly all working class or better.
    2 doors down I got my payback for being an asshole when I was younger.

It was a house full of the dirtiest nastiest scumbags you could wish on your worst enemy. Kids were druggies. Junk cars, dog shit the length of their front yard. Cops were there once a week. One time it was like an episode of cops.... 1/2 a dozen crounching down behind stuff with guns drawn and one cop standing alongside the front door pounding the shit out of it!

Another time the druggie son was running down the middle of the street screaming "son of a bitch ran over my dog". I thought he said DOG. It was DAD. Some drug deal gone bad or something. When the cops showed up---they had a care less attitude... completely tired of these people's bullshit.
    All I thought about was screwing all their windows shut and burning the house while they slept.........

Can't describe the feeling when they skipped out of town owing money and leaving a gigantic mess behind.

It works both ways.

Remember the ONLY 2 commandments that matter:

#1 Be Cool

#2 Don't be an asshole

24. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Maybe it's a "Minnesota nice" thing, or maybe I'm just super lucky, but my neighbors don't seem to care what I do as long as it doesn't affect them. I have a place to work on my car away from home so I rarely my alot of noise here, but if I have to I do it on a weekend in the middle of the day. Nobody has ever bitched about my sort of loud exhaust when I come home at 11pm (second shift). Just be polite, do your best to keep the noise down, and make an effort to help the neighbors out and it'll be fine. Folks will let alot of annoyances slide for a nice guy...

25. Rooster619

Rooster619
    from phoenix AZ

yeah thats me the younger guy that has a family and hot rods that nobody talks to or waves to but Im also the guy they come to when a car or stupid weed eater doesn't work and needs fixin

26. slammed

slammed

The 'fuck 'em' attitude was ok back when, today your risking major fines and possible jail. Cell phone cameras, video cameras, over the top CODES. It's a Big Brother world now, do not give them ammo. Use common sense where you live.

27. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I live in a small cul-de-sac. I've been here longer than most now. The longest on the street is direct across the street from me, and while I take it easy, sometimes I leave for work early on the morning in a car with loud exhaust, depending on my mood and what's running. Never a complaint. I currently have 2 old cars in my driveway 1 under a cover, and 3 drivers on the street. My house is about 20 years old as is the rest of the neighborhood. I tinker on Saturdays, but I'm not out making loud noises at all hours of the night. The key is Don't Be A Dick

Devin

28. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Well, the burnout would be cool, but not so cool when comes around and bites you in the ass. Listen here to bulletproof and hotrodprimer. Get to know your neighbors. It might about be that they ask you for a burnout after they see what you got.

29. 327Eric

327Eric

I am an outcast in my town. I keep quiet,and to myself as much as possible.

30. BOHICA

BOHICA

Am I the only one who got depressed reading this thread? I don't believe in being a dick of a neighbor, but dang I can't imagine living in an HOA community.

Growing up on a farm in a rural community sure will spoil you...