Register now to get rid of these ads!

need info about a desoto 341 hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tx outlaw kustoms, Mar 31, 2012.

1. tx outlaw kustoms

tx outlaw kustoms

Just recently purchased a 1956 desoto hemi to build for a hot rod . i am looking for any infromation on purchasing a new high lift cam , and what multiple carb intakes will fit a tall deck hemi. thank you for any help with this .

2. George

George

Have you checked out the Hemi Tech Index? Unless you find a blank, you have to have one reground.Only one piece intakes that fit were made for the 330/341/345. There are OEM 2X4s, but are expensive. Aftermarket multi carbs are rare & expensive. Hot Heads has 4 & 6 carb log intakes.

3. fatabone

fatabone

Racer Brown 410-866-7660
    I was going to get a cam for my Desoto from them and didnt need to have my old one but that was atleast three years ago. The engine is still apart and I have yet to rebuild it and have not purchased the cam.

4. You need to get in touch with Scootermcrad on here. He's a good guy and he's also a hemi guru. He recommended Neilsen cams for a camshaft for me and my 291 Desoto hemi. ( www.neilsencams.com ) He doesn't really have a website, per se, but you can get in touch with him thru this link.

5. suprised that no has mentioned that 1956 De Soto's are 330 ci 341-345 are 57

6. George

George

Irrelevant when talking intakes, & all the details would be brought up when ordering the cam.

7. fatabone

fatabone

The 1956 Adventurer engine is a 341

8. I stand corrected on the adventurer that had dual quads and a high lift cam, and all high deck DeSoto's inter chage parts. all 3 Chrysler divisions had there own Hemi's
    In thinking back to when I bought my first Hemi. it was sold to me as a 392. but I was soon to find out that NE56 serial number was a 354.

it's just better when referring to your purchase that you call it what it is.

My son has a 330 DeSoto in his 31 ford and it fits nicer than a chrysler. an inch or two outside demension makes a big difference in a tight spot.

One more thing before I was NONAME on the HAMB. I went by 48HEMI and was on a couple thousand Hemi posts

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  9. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

Get ahold of Natchi at Contreras cams 1-714-533-5228. They are making new rollers for these engines. Bill

10. Gullwing

Gullwing

I am interested in a roller cam for my 341. I was hoping to use a camshaft with similar specs as a 1957 SA dual quad motor Adventurer. I know the lift was .430 Intake and .413 exhaust and the serial number was #793 but that is all I know. It doesn't seem to be any real advantage in a roller with the same specs unless I can get a lobe profile that takes advantage of the roller AND a softer cam drive gear. Who would be the best person to grind me such a camshaft? Contreras, Nelson, Racer Brown? I have an original un-cut 291 Desoto blank to provide. Can they harden it enough to run a roller or do I need to run a billet? It doesn't make sense to run a roller otherwise. The heavier roller lifters would limit the top RPM before float if I was racing. On the other hand if I was running on the street the bronze gear would be a deal breaker.

11. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The Williamson intake with interchangeable (multi carb) tops is available for the tall deck Desoto.

12. Partsman2012

Partsman2012

NoName, similar story here. I bought one 30+ years ago. Sold to me as a 354. It was an S25, 341. I think I still have the cam kickin around in the basement.

13. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

The reason I got a new cam from Contrerras is because today's oil leaves alot to be desired. You can't put alot of spring pressure on the valves without the danger of cam lobe failure. I have a cam reground by Crower for more lift and duration. The problem is that it is still the old cam material. Will work OK as long as the spring seat pressure doesn't go much above 100 LBs pressure with the valve closed. There are oil additives out there to correct the problem of lobe wear, but you still can't run a whole lot of pressure on that old cam.

14. 73RR

73RR

•Natchi has made a couple of roller cams, call him and then report back as this question appears about 1x month.
    •Billet rollers 'can' have a cast gear and rear bearing 'attached', no, not cheap.
    •Low deck cams are not compatible with high deck blocks.
    •Flat tappet cams do not have enough lobe to change them into a roller.
    •If you are building a serious race engine then you have enough money to overcome heavy roller lifters. If you are building a daily driver type street engine then you simply don't need 10,000 rpm.....
    •You get to make choices...bronze gears are required with billet cam/gears. Change the cam gear or change the intermediate gear.

15. George

George

Why if it's a blank? Did they change the size of the cam bearings?:confused:

16. 73RR

73RR

Okay....define 'blank'....
    Some cam blanks are also called 'unfinished' in which the lsa and lobe position has already been set.
    If the 'cam blank' in question has had zero finish work since leaving the mold then you could do whatever you want to it, maybe even make a roller if the lobes are big enough. However, without exact details or photos, we are just guessing...........

17. George

George

He did say "uncut" as are the 2 I have.