Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sbc guru in Austin help a guy out 1750 miles from home?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by surfcaliforniasurf, Apr 6, 2013.

1. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

My wagon is blowing from smoke out on acceleration and I was hoping someone in Austin may help me do a compression test and possibly replace valve seals. We planned on starting home tommorrow afternoon Shawn 805-354-4846

2. jazz1

jazz1

It couldn't smoke at home in the driveway,,nope it's gotta wait till your at the other end of the planet..hope help pops up soon. Hope you got nicer weather down there than we got today

[​IMG]

3. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

somebody needs to help this guy out

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Surely if you ask around, someone at the Round-up can help.

5. if it smokes on acceleration, its rings, if it smokes on decelleration, its valve guides

6. Both these answers are what I would think and do. HRP.

7. trollst

trollst

Do what us old guys do....pour the oil to her and drive her home, you'll make it.

8. ^^ yes, agreed, with either of the symptoms, 50 wt oil and drive her on down the road and fix her in the comfort of your place. She prolly didnt like the 10 hours across west texas and is a smidgen tired.
    I wish you luck and drink some beer and enjoy congress street.

9. Btt for a dude that's gotta get his family back to Cali...man my wife would be "I told ya so " the whole way home. Good luck!

10. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

11. BaBa

BaBa

Good luck getting back here to Communistafornia. If it's still running buy a couple of gallons of oil and check her regularly. When I was in college I had a 49 Chevy PU with a Rocket Olds V8 that used to go through a gallon of oil between SLO and the Bay Area before I got around to a rebuild. If it's not fouling plugs it will make it.

12. Bump it up 4 help

13. jazz1

jazz1

wasn't till my 4th car that i owned something that did not fog the neighbourhood.

14. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Go to Wally World, buy a case of the cheapest oil you can and head for home...My '57 did that about 10 years ago...took me 34 quarts to get from Dallas, Texas to Denver...had to stop at Wally World three times to get enuff oil to make it home...

R-

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, he's at the Round-Up. I'm betting a case of beer would get him on the road fixed and new friends to hang with as a bonus.

If I was there, I wouldn't be on this damn computer. I put about 75 miles on my car today, pretending I was there.:(

16. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

I am not sweating it guys, I think the wife put it in my head to have someone check it out...no fouling plugs and it is actually running really well and only burned 2 qts between Santa Maria and Austin driving 80 the whole way, so ill load up on oil and head for home Route 66 style! I might be doing a thread on a 327 rebuild soon haha! Heading out to enjoy the beautiful town of austin some more after a post roundup power nap! Thanks for the assurance gentlemen!

17. Fenders

Fenders

You will make it, have a nice trip and enjoy the scenery.

18. A Rodder

A Rodder

Hell that's not burning oil that is sipping it!

Good luck on the rest of the trip, I think you will have awesome memories my friend, Joe

19. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

And the smoke i just realized is coming out of the road draft tube? What does that mean? I put a new Pcv in yesterday too...heading to dinner at top notch burgers

20. spooler41

spooler41

If you have a PG or TH350 transmission,you may have a ruptured diaphram in the vacuum
    modulator.If so it'll suck ATF from the gearbox, in to the intake, when you back off the throttle then blow light grey smoke when you step on it again . I've had it happen to me a time or two. Good luck on your trip.

......................Jack

21. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

I tried sucking on vacuum line and no tranny fluid

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Happy to do a compression test for ya. Send me a pm and I'll give ya my cell number

23. roughneck424

roughneck424

Like mentioned carry some oil and maybe get you some of these if you start fouling plugs.
    [​IMG]

24. two pints of STP oil additive is cheap insurance and wont hurt anything......It will sure slo down the consumption and smoke....

25. i have really enjoyed the photos and commentary,Hopefully you will figure out the problem and it's nothing to keep you and your family making it back home in the wagon. HRP