Register now to get rid of these ads!

Full fendered "T"s thread... Official maybe?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Mar 22, 2013.

1. bornhigh

bornhigh
    from SOCAL

I had no idea that Ford made a Model T limo!.... that's wild.... the two do look very similar, thanks

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

[​IMG]

Diggin' BIG time!!! And yes, I too love the slightly "stretched" look of the tires over the Halibrands too. Very early sixties.

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That's an "A" front crossmember, so I would say it's and "A" frame. A lot of guys seem to think that an "A" frame just flat slides under one of these cars and away you go. Not a bad choice for a channeled hot roddy kinda car, but on a full fendered car the 3.5" wheelbase difference DOES make it a bit interesting. The easiest way to deal is with an "A" rear spring dropped just behind the rear axle, although then shackle clearence becomes a bit of an issue...

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Nope, Chip and I were talking about the same thing a while back. Nothing says sixties hot rod like 6" mags with 5.60's stretched over them. Check out the Chuck Penry T bucket sometime, the Dennis DeBenidictus T, or the Doyle Gammel coupe. The skinny torque-thrust 4" front runners that everyone loves so much nowadays were mostly only seen on race cars in the sixties.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yep, and 8.20X15 pie crust cheater slicks on 8 1/2" inch Halibrands or Americans on the back just slightly hanging out of the fenderwells a bit...

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You'll note the same tire/wheels size combo on MIKE'S gold sedan, the Green/black tudor that I have officially posted the hell out of, the nearly perfect dark red '27 that 50sFRAUD posted and the blue on above... It just flat works!!!

7. shane2290

shane2290
    from toronto

My full fendered one with GULL WING and MOTO METER compliments from GARY. T
    Called me a lazy Canadian for not posting-lol such a smartass

[​IMG]

8. -Brent-

-Brent-

Love this thread!

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Finally found the pics of the one on the HAMB. Really looking forward to seeing this car finished, I love it.
    [​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

scan0007.jpg scan0009.jpg scan0010.jpg Okay gang, Back a little later into the seventies than I really care to go, but.... Look at it! I see this car every year at LARS and it's still absolutely stunning. El Polacko always laughs that it's "one of the same 10 cars you shoot pictures of every year!" Yup, he's right...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  11. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Proponent of "the tire stretch".

...as seen all aboard the S.S. Fishbone...

Attached Files:

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Puro Awsomissivimo!!! Or something like that... Better than, "I aint never seen no buggy done like that...".

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Nice dune buggy :rolleyes: :p :D

14. oldtin

oldtin

Great thread so far.
    Its been posted to another T related thread, but here is my contribution.
    [​IMG]
    I hope to make some progress on it this summer.
    I can't make up my mind what I want for drivetrain...390tripower, 8ba, 312 Y block, 302, or mercruiser I4. They are all a tight fit so I think I might build a longer frame of 103-104wb and run it without a hood. Not sure yet.

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have two different friends around the Phoenix area that in the last ten years have built Mercruiser 4 powered "T"s. One was a fenderless '27 roadster with a T-50 behind it and it flat rocked! The other was a full fendered '27 sedan converted into a sedan delivery that had a Saginaw 4 speed behind it and it worked suprisingly well too. I would have done a five speed of some sort, because itjust a little short of gears for freeway flying around Phoenix here with our 75-80mph in town speeds. But driving those two cars made me a believer in that Chev four.

Everybody seems to want to stretch these cars, but in my opinion the natural "stubbyness" is a big part of the attraction. And, I would say stretching the aprons and running boards would be a far bigger deal than making a longer hood. With a sedan it really doesn't matter how far back inot the cowl you go, you still end up with tons of leg room I'd keep the wheelbase stock.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

It aint mine, but if it were, there wouldn't even be any hesitation, 390 with tripps all the way. And a set of chromed "THUNDERBIRD" valve covers. 15" chromies with a big rake and narrow whites. Oh yea! But I have a 428 in my falcon, so I may be a little biased.

17. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

THIS was the one I was waiting for! I think I have that feature somewhere too and I'm glad you posted it. Marty Simonides' RP is one of the neatest T's ever.

And that Spence Gregg sedan.... Wow. I might have to subscribe to this thread now. :)

18. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

x2!!

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yes, I hear you, its a really well-composed photo.

20. bct

bct

21. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This thread rules.

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Thanks guys, we're just getting started...

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You got that right! I'm just getting warmed up. This little truck was the first thing I thought of when you started this thread, but I had to wait till I had a day off to find the mag. July '75 PHR. I wont show the blue velour interior, dont want to incure the wrath of the mods.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have had a hard-on for this thing since I originally bought this issue as a teenager. Really neat little truck.

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Dearest God, the Owl "T"!!!! That's the one I posted in one of my first posts on this thread in primer. I LOVE this little truck, and it's a very clever fictitous use of scraps...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Didn't make the connection! I'd build a truck like this in a heartbeat! Doors are gonna be the tough/expensive part.

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I just noticed something looking at the pictures of this little truck after all these years. He has the bed down about three inches over where it should be. It's a '26-'27 roadster pickup bed that would normally sit on the body's subframe, which is about three inches higher than the frame rails than he set it. He trimmed the leading edge of the rear fenders up higher so the fender is shorter. I could imagine it dropped that extra three inches in the back to mellow out the rake a touch and better frame the rear wheels with full height fenders. Never noticed that before...

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, heres what I'm thinking. You remember I was piling up parts for a circa 1961 Corvette influenced 283 powered Model A roadster PU? Well, once I started gathering parts for the desoto powered coupester, that kind of fell by the wayside, I thought it might be more sensible to use that stuff to build a closed cab '29 with the same basic theme. But I am REALLY liking the idea of building the closed cab T/A. I think it should be pretty easy to round up a coupe/tudor cowl, and finding T or A fenders will probably be a wash, I need the same set of doors regardless. I gotta focus my priorities on the coupester right now, but if I see another '26/'27 coupe/tudor cowl at a swap meet or something, it'll be hard not to drag it home. Its been a while since I dragged that issue out, I forgot just how cool that truck looks.

28. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

The illustrious Lance Sorchik's A pickup, fendered and all, has a hot rodded Mercruiser in it too! I believe it has a 5 speed behind it.

Fookin' in love.... Of course if it were mine the front would come down a bit and that would make your "fix" mandatory (unless you LIKE falling off the front of the seat).

Attached Files:

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That little PU really is something else, isnt it? When I was a teenager I used to look at those pics all the time, until this thread reminded me of it, I hadn't pulled it out for a couple years, forgot just how good it looks.

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Time to give this a bump. Kinda looks like "Honest Abe" in the back seat of the bottom Center door, hope hes not a HAMBer...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013