Register now to get rid of these ads!

No More Lacquer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudandfast13, Apr 5, 2013.

1. loudandfast13

loudandfast13

I just called Painters Supply to see if they could mix a quart for me and was told they had limited pigments on hand and couldn't make many colors anymore. He further explained that after the 1st of next year lacquer and other solvent born paints would not be available due to EPA regulations.

Anyone know more about this? :confused:

2. Ask about acrylic lacquer paint. Just about any body shop I know of has to use it, rules may vary from state to state though.

Bob

3. F&J

F&J

I ended up with the entire stock of PPG toners from a parts store that was bought out by a chain store.

I did notice that many of the toner mixing cans for DDL were not used in long time, due to lack of sales. So, I can see why a store won't restock ALL the toners, as it gets expensive.

When I was trying to ID some of the PPG products, I found a website that had all of the "still available" stuff from PPG, along with prices for each. Some of the custom paint urethane toners were thousands of $ per gallon!!!

I mixed my own laquer color and hope to paint this weekend :)

One thing good is that if the DDL toner gets a bit set up in the rack-mixing cans, you can add thinner and it's good to go again :)

4. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

tcpglobal has acrylic lac

5. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

6. scrubba

scrubba

I jus want to add they have been very quick to ship and easy as heck to deal with too ! scrubba

7. You are just now hearing about this? The national VOC laws regulating laquer went into effect back in 1998. It is still available, but for restoration use only. Here in the NorthEast, and I assume where you are, body shops are prohibited to use it.

8. loudandfast13

loudandfast13

I was aware of the restrictions on the car companies and body shops. The clerk at the paint store said it wasn't going to be sold/manufactured anymore.
    It is possible he's full of it... Thats why I ask. :cool:

We're in Michigan btw.

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lacquer is required for musical instruments and the furniture industry. PPG's DCA468 clear and DDL 9300 (9700?) black lacquer formulas haven't changed in over 30yrs. In 08 I ordered and sprayed DDL for a Ford color code "1Q". The PPG# might be 3591, a fine bright silver. You need to contact a sales rep who doesn't mind going an extra block to assist you. Don Thieman from the Plymouth store is very helpful and full of info. Give him a shout at 734 455 4100.

Tell him Jocko refered you. Dennis is also helpful at that store. Good luck...

10. Theiman the Demon..... The EPA story is bs as far as I'm concerned. I have seen nothing in writing at this point. Segment companies still have it more available than others. If these guys can't help pm me and I'll see what I can do.

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Here in the land of fruits & faggots (CA) Nitrocelulose laquer was outlawed by county, then finally statewide. I chased it to Mariposa County in the '70s, then lately clear out of state!

There are some contacts back East, surprised to hear it's restricted back there...No I'm not.

"When laquer is outlawed, only outlaws will have paint jobs..."

12. XXL__

XXL__

We used to think asbestos was a great insulation material. Then we figured out it was bad for us, so we switched to something else. We used to use DDT pesticides on our food. Now we know better. I realize change is difficult, but reducing VOCs is pretty universally believed to be a good idea. Try to roll with the fact that these kinds of paints are eventually going away, and like hot rodders have always done... work with what we've got.

13. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I agree!

14. metalman

metalman

Might be Painter Supply just won't carry it anymore. We can use lacquer on restorations but our last local jobber that had it told me the same thing, not many toners left, not getting anymore. Wasn't they couldn't sell it, it was they wern't selling it, not enough to justify stocking it. I've been getting it from TCP, half the price my jobber was selling it for.

15. Torchie

Torchie

As stated above. Many restorations sources still carry it but be prepared for sticker shock..
    According to my paint guy Michigan's VOC regs are the same as California's.

16. One of the problems with spraying lacquer today is the lack of a good thinner. The stuff today isn't as "hot" as the old stuff. Reason for lacquer is?

17. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

The sale and or use of lacquer automotive paint is completely banned(illegal) in Massachusetts, but then so are goatees...seriously.

18. Normbc9

Normbc9

I still use it but I have to buy the product across the counter in either Mexico or Canada. If it is special paint job I haul it down to Tijuana, BC and have a great shop down heir do it all. Then I drive the finished product across the border. The EPA reguations in this nation have now become totally unreasonable. How do I keep "Clean Air" over my shop when in four hours it That air ass) will be passing over Reno?
    Normbc9

19. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

As has been posted, regulations vary from state to state and that will effect availability. Both acrylic and nitrocellulose automotive grade lacquer is still available but you have to look for it.

20. XXL__

XXL__

While the people in Reno thank you for paying it forward, some of the air doesn't actually make it there. Some of it goes in your lungs. Your lungs also thank you for the "clean air."

21. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

If lacquer is only used for restorations, there won't be enough sales to make it profitable for paint companies.

22. COOP

COOP

Last year I wanted to paint an old '48 Ford truck powder blue with red & white scallops. I wanted to use laquer as it can be sprayed with a flatter finish. ( no wheeling) I contacted my local Finishmaster shop to find out that he could order laquer but it was going to be over $700 a gallon (no, I'm not kidding). We both kinda took a deep breath. Then I found a place on E-Bay out in sunny California that would sell a "kit", which consisted of a gallon of paint, gallon of thinner, a handfull of sticks and strainers, all for around a hunnert bucks. I was concerned that it would be a thin batch, but was pleasingly surprised that it had good coverage. I asked him about the strict policies in California, and he commented that they sold most of it to people out of state. This was last year so I don't know what's going on now.

23. Gman0046

Gman0046

Not to long ago I bought a pint of lacquer to paint a trunk lid for $28.00.