Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever forget your driving a new car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-man313, Apr 4, 2013.

1. D-man313

D-man313

After driving my 49 pickup for a few days in a row, and then going to a newer car, I still think I'm driving the old truck. I get used to no power steering or radio, non canceling turn signals, none of the creature comforts.

Anybody else feel the same way? Or am I just crazy?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Yes. :D

3. Your crazy! :D HRP

4. gearhead78

gearhead78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Dallas TX

The other day I was driving an OT 68 442 with manual drums that the pads had gotten old and hard. Pretty much had to bend the pedal to stop from speed. Not thinking about it about 30min later got in my truck and about put myself through the windshield on the first stop.

5. it makes you realize that you really don't need it

6. castirondude

castirondude

I have a habit of braking with my left foot. A few times I had gotten into cars with manual transmissions and after driving on the freeway for a long time, forgot that, and thought I had lost my brakes!!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

7. Some of you people scare me

8. I stomp the floor with my left foot when have to make a fast stop in an automatic.

9. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

Haha yeah or go to push the clutch in then step on the edge of the wide pedal. Better than coffee.

10. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Hell yeah! 1953 Ford truck to a 2009 xlt! WTF are all these buttons.

11. D-man313

D-man313

I may be a little crazy, but I know I'm not alone!

12. I wouldn't say I "forget", but, it does take me a few miles to get the feel of being back in something different. It's not bad if I'm in and out of 19 different vehicles in a week, but, after months of driving the same old rig, I look like a new driver for the first bit back in something modern.

I hadn't driven a new vehicle in awhile when my folks came to visit. All I'd had to drive was the 52 Roadmaster, and my 64 C10. They rented a new Ford econobox to drive a few hundred miles out in to the desert, and I was charged with the duty of pilot. It's funny how you get used to no power steering, and an old steering box. I was "a little twitchy" for the first few miles. Not to mention that little soulless POS felt the same at 30 or 100, probably a CVT transmission. So, I earned me a ticket from the Arizona DPS, which closed out my western US speeding ticket BINGO.

13. the one thing that always screws me up is the dimmer switch on the steering column...i keep getting my foot caught in the wheel.

14. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Yup, x3... That and reaching for open air when the slush box won't change up...

15. I'll drive my stone stock '61 Falcon to work, then I'll have to drive a 201X something or other for a parts run. Rarely the same car.

Anyway, I'm NEVER confused, because I canNOT see out of the damn things!!
    Not to mention that they are confined and uncomfortable. Oh, and dark.

Cosmo

16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I use the cruz control most of the time other wise I will go too fast..I have to keep reminding the wife that she is 20 mph over the speed limit.....

17. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

I drive my car just about everyday (mainly because its my only car) and whenever i borrow my dads jeep i always go to put the key in on the left side of the dash

18. 5559

from tn

how about driving an automatic column shift car after being in a 3spd column shift---going to 2nd can be interesting in the automatic----I've finally learned to slow down & concentrate -almost every time!!!

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I was a Porsche/BMW/Ferrari mechanic for years. I always had hot rods, or early Fords.

What a transition to get to work and park my '40, (or '46, '47 Merc, or '53 Vic, etc.) and get in a 911 (later days...started with early 356) and drive off to listen to whatever was wrong...
    Yes, the dimmer switch was different...like the gearshift. Back in 1958, a Porsche seemed like I was starting off in reverse!

20. castirondude

castirondude

Aww yea back in the day with my little nissan (with a stick) I would always hit the windshield wipers since they are in place of where the normal column shift automatic lever is

21. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:pWhat he said,, :D
    I believe you dictate the river of fate through your own actions. : Boyd Crowder

22. Road Runner

Road Runner

Last time I drove a new car was almost 20 years ago and a rental for a long weekend trip with precious cargo.
    Power brakes, power steering and automatic made me feel like an earthbound and retirement age Buck Rogers.
    At once I realized why there are so many car related deaths every year.

23. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

For about 5 years every car in my little fleet had a third pedal. When I finally got an SUV for the family I had to learn how to drive an automatic all over again.

24. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I get that. But only after I'm driving something fast.

25. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

once after running go-carts all day I got in my z28 i had at the time, hit the first curve and spun the wheel like i did in the go-cart, after spinning a 180 my buddy told me " hey youre not in the carts anymore"

26. Cerberus

Cerberus

I am actually the opposite. I follow to close sometimes, or corner to fast, or reach for the radio delete plate, and realize the limitations of this 1964 C10 Step Side dinosaur. It does move my H-D, Rottweiler, and other stuff rather willingly though. :rolleyes:

27. Deuces

Deuces

More than once I found myself reaching for a floor shifter in my '96 F-150 with an automatic on the tree... After driving my ponies with a manual trans...:eek::eek::eek::eek:

28. D-man313

D-man313

My 49 needs some good throttle pressure to get going, so driving that for a while I get used to it. So when I get in one of our newer vehicles I seem to press the gas a little to hard sometimes.

29. castirondude

castirondude

I'm surprised nobody has bothered defining a "new car" in this thread :) to me subjectively it is basically anything less than 25 years old, but talking to other folks here and there, that number ranges from 1 to 50 :)

30. jstanotheidiot

jstanotheidiot

Back in the 70s my Dad drove a 56 ford pick up with 3 on the tree. Mom had a 72 old's 98. One Sunday we where going to grandma's house, The family piled into Mom,s 98 Dad backed out of drive way dropped it in to low took off got about two house's up the street pushed his left foot to the floor an shifted in to park,Dammm that thing made all kinds of noise an died.Lucky didn't do any real damage but it was able to rock a little in park from then on.