Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aqueous parts washer, a few questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T-Faust, Feb 13, 2012.

1. T-Faust

T-Faust

I bought mine at an auction and don't know the age or its background . I have been using purple power in it, sometimes heated.

Recently, the pump went. It is not labeled, but appears to be a Little Giant 518550 PE-2YSA Parts Washer Pump. I have no idea if it is original to my machine. Looking for a replacement I see that the Little Giant pump is rated at intermittent operation at 120 degrees. I suspect I have passed that a few times.

So,my question, is Purple Power a killer in one of these machines? In reading descriptions of the Little Giant pump it seems to be intended for petroleum solvents.

I rarely heat it because I don't use it that much and don't want to wait for it to heat. I got it because it was cheap and I didn't want petroleum solvents in my basement workshop

2. Simple.

Simple.
    from Troy, MI

I put purple power in mine once. I put a Triumph motorcycle cylinder head in it for a few days to let it soak. When I went back to scrub it, it destroyed the aluminum head. Looked like I was trying to grow some cauliflower or something on the parts... not cool. I drained it, and sold the washer on craigslist (it was taking up too much real estate as well.)

I guess I dont have a direct answer for you but due to my past experience, Purple Power and certain metals just dont jive. It probobly ate up your pump. That stuff will clean up any oil spills in your driveway though. I still have a couple gallons left from those shenanigans.

- Jon

3. T-Faust

T-Faust

Simple, I know about the aluminum problem with Purple Power (and quite a few others). But, the pump is submersible and the motor is sealed, driving a external pump which is all plastic. I suppose some cleaner could have made its way past the seal. Can't say I saw any damage to the pump. I just figured it had burned out, I had no idea how old it was. Now, I am wondering about temperature if the pump is restricted to 120 degrees. I read an article on aqueous parts washers and they recommended a temerature around 170 degrees. (expands the metal, aids cleaning).
    Since Grainger sells the pump, I wonder if the PO just stuck it on when the original failed.

4. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Your cheapest way out may be a dishwasher pump. These are rated to 195 degrees usually and are compatable with strong detergent solutions.

5. Simple.

Simple.
    from Troy, MI

Heat quite possibly killed it. If its a little giant, it was probobly replaced. The local Ace hardware also sells those pumps too if your looking to just replace it. One other thing I noticed was some parts that were on top of my washer that never came in contact with the purple power corrdid as well. Perhaps the fumes from that stuff can be caustic to things in surrounding area?

I had a 12v power supply on my shelf to charge things with a cigarette lighter socket, and about 2 ft away was a bottle of muriatic acid. Two weeks later, my power supply looked like a ball of rust. my luck eh? I'm learning all about chemistry while building cars. I should have paid attention to Mr. Wizard more.

- Jon

6. Simple.

Simple.
    from Troy, MI

I just looked online at the little giants. I was unaware of all of the pumps they make for parts washers. Maybe it is an original.

Jon

7. T-Faust

T-Faust

Tomorrow I am going to note the make and model of my washer, then see if there is a parts list on line. If there are pictures I may even be able to tell if my pump is original. I am sure it will recommend water and the powdered detergents usually recommended.

8. aanas2

aanas2
    from San Jos

I've updated to an aqueous parts washer and after seven months I can say that it was a great shift - efficient and less toxic, and has saved much money.

9. fsae0607

fsae0607

McMaster-Carr also sells pumps compatible with either aqueous or petroleum-based solvents.

10. T-Faust

T-Faust

It has been over a year since my post in this topic. Since then, I pulled the pump from my machine and compared it to pictures of Little Giant units on line. It appeared that the original pump was a Little Giant. It seemed a little pricey at $85.00, but it slipped right in and everything is fine.

11. been using it for the past year heated and the pump still happy?

12. T-Faust

T-Faust

Yes, it is hobby equipment so use isn't constant. I don't always use it heated because I don't want to wait for it to warm up. I am pretty sure it was original equipment to my machine.

13. I used the ZEP "Industrial Purple Cleaner and Degreaser Concentrate" (Home Deposit), only slightly cut with water. Unheated, it destroyed the washer pump within a month. That pump had lived several years with mineral spirits.

I sure wish mineral spirits were $1 a gallon again, $20/g is just too rich.

Steve