Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Losthope's 1966 c10 low buck build!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LostHope, Sep 24, 2011.

1. slammed

slammed

1Nimrod likes this.
  2. Metallicat

Metallicat
    BANNED
    from Bay Area

Excellent find!

3. LostHope

LostHope

been busy working but had a little free time and decided to work on the truck today, I decided to work on the heater system that i never reinstalled when i bought the truck,Kinda funny i decided to do it as its getting warmer here and most likely wont use it till next winter :lol:... I decided to use the heater box out of the 63 parts truck i bought , because it already had a heater core and I liked the idea that it is a little smaller then the unit that came in my 66 since i never really liked the look of the heater box crowding the engine bay in these trucks:
    [​IMG]

I bought a sandblaster pot at a yard sale for $10 and donated it to richies shop had him test it out and sandblast the unit after i tore it apart :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bystander protection spectacles:
    [​IMG]

primer and painted the parts and took the new heater motor that I had and reassembled the unit:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

installed the heater box:
    [​IMG]

Next up was tackling the under dash diverter, since i installed my phoney a/c unit that holds my air bag switches and aftermarket gauges I had to modify the diverter box to get it to clear the a/c unit....there was some cool looking under dash vents that came in a box of parts with the 63 chevy c10 i bought and decided to use them on my truck:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to cut the feet heater vent part off the diverter box to clear the a/c unit, and the diverter flapper for the dash defroster/ feet/cab heat inside was stuck anyways and the little arm the cable mounts was broke off also and since i didnt need it anymore i took it out:
    [​IMG]

Got on the welding helmet and practiced my welding(Still welding bird poop welds LOL) and welded some sheetmetal plates on to close the box up:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since I am using 4 vents now(2 dash defroster vents and 2 under dash vents) I had to cut two extra holes and weld on two vent tube mounts on to accommodate the under dash vents:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

little bit of paint and installed it and it just barely cleared the a/c unit, still have to get some vent tubing and hook all the vents up....the diverter box still has the open/close diverter flapper in the long section so ill be able to shut off the heat from coming in the cab from the engine compartment but when its open all 4 vents will be blowing heat at same time...but thats fine with me...:
    [​IMG]

and last thin i did for today was put in some beat! theres not alot of room with a in cab gas tank and stock bench seat and i wanted to add a little summtin summtin to my sound system so i mounted a amp under the dash and mounted a 10" subwoofer box to the trans tunnel, plan is to cover the top plexi-glass with more black felt/fabric and mount some cup holders on top and build a tray area to hold my junk and turn the top in to a center console and try and hide that its a speaker box...:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know its kinda ugly but until I get some original style truck "buddy bucket seats" and put the box between the bucket seats itll work for now....

1Nimrod likes this.
  4. n847

n847

Nice & clean as usual. I bet you could build a body colored steel frame and vinyl/fabric wrap the top of that box w/ some cup holders and no one could ever tell its a sub enclosure.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

1Nimrod likes this.
  5. LostHope

LostHope

Ya that sounds like somewhat of what im envisioning the end results will look like..And thanks for taking the time and finding those links you sent me on the spring stuff i asked you about !

1Nimrod likes this.
  6. n847

n847

Not a problem man! I was thinking you could have gotten an oldCoke or 7up cooler to modify & mount that sub in, but thats probably more likely to be stolen than a sb enclosure!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

1Nimrod likes this.
  7. LostHope

LostHope

Nothing much just received some stock door mirrors via. UPS now i can see what im doing backing up with my side boards on:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

then i gave the truck a good bath and took some pictures!:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  8. n847

n847

Looks good! Its funny how stock it looks aired up like that.

9. tragic59

tragic59

Nice job, dude.

I have an old set of buckets out of a 60's dodge pick-up you can have. They're totally thrashed and will need to be reupholstered, but they're free and will probably fit with a little work to mount them...

1Nimrod likes this.
  10. LostHope

LostHope

Hell ya thank you ! you coming up and going to hang out for the sac swapmeet?

1Nimrod likes this.
  11. tragic59

tragic59

Yeah. I am thinking about it. I kinda have to wait and see how this week goes.

If I do come up, I will throw the buckets in the back of my truck and deliver them.

1Nimrod likes this.
  12. LostHope

LostHope

2" air duct finally arrived in the mail,took a piece of sheet metal and couple small sections of 2" pipe and started out to make my connections for the underdash vents and after some measuring,bending,pop rivits and some foil tape to seal up the backsides I ended up with some adpters to fit the 2" duct and connect to the under dash vents, they look crude but work well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

made a little video to see how well they work , cell phone camrea makes the noise alot louder then it really is...CLICK PICTURE TO VIEW VIDEO:
    [​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  13. LostHope

LostHope

No real up date besides i installed my hidden tow hitch but still have to fab up my flip up license plate so Ill post pictures when im done, today was spent rolling out to a friends house then cruising to a local car show...

We started the day off tag teaming washing are rides ,hanging out talking car talk, goofing around having fun:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then rolled out to the riff raff c.c's show held at the local so-cal speed shop:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great times! What its all about hanging out and cruising to a show! then off to a Swapmeet tomorrow!

1Nimrod likes this.
  14. n847

n847

Thats what its all about!

15. LostHope

LostHope

Finally got the hidden hitch installed with the help of richie and his welder, didnt like how i was going to have it bolt in so we decided to weld it in and boxed in the back 7" of the frame rails and welded the hitch receiver in then i made a license plate frame out of some flat stock with a couple hinges and now i have my hidden hitch with a flip up license plate:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my old chrome license plate frame is pretty bent and beat up so Im on the look out for some new ones for the front and back since they dont match ,and in the process of taking the license plate off and on I accidentally pulled the wires out of one of my led bolt lights.....just ordered a new set to fix that screw up and need to wire in a trailer plug, but all in all i like how it turned out!

16. n847

n847

Pretty slick!

17. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Man....as usual, you are up to all kinds of cool shit with your rides!! I love it! Looks like you all had a good time at the show too!!

18. oldskewl

oldskewl

Read this build from beginning to end tonight. Love the hard work and dedication you put in. A guy I work with is giving me a 64 he's had on his property for years. Hope I can put in half as much work as you have. Nice looking truck!

19. LostHope

LostHope

thanks fella's

QUOTE=oldskewl;8970476]Read this build from beginning to end tonight. Love the hard work and dedication you put in. A guy I work with is giving me a 64 he's had on his property for years. Hope I can put in half as much work as you have. Nice looking truck![/QUOTE]

Look forward to seeing you post a thread on your truck!

As far as a update I have absolutely nothing to post for the truck since I been carpooling out of town everyday for work , ive been so busy and truck just sits all week waiting for the weekend for me to drive it....but good news is we finshed that job and starting a new job closer to home and been putting money away in the bank...but whats the fun of working and saving money if you cant spend any??? My point exactly so thats why i took the ol red truck and swung by "Glendales" house and we took a little ride and had him help me load up my new to me 86 honda rebel 450 to build a bobber out of! Im the 2nd owner low miles and cheap $460 with the title......I know its a newer jap bike but itll be my first bike build and was cheap and for sure going to be a learning experience! Wish me luck
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  20. n847

n847

Cool bike man...I've been sittin on an old CB in a barn just waiting on me to get up the courage and funds to start a new build!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. LostHope

LostHope

Right on ! ya ive always wanted to build a bobber , and really want to build a t-bucket also but due to my living situation and limited space dont have room for a t-bucket build and my other cars are on hold because next steps are big cost items, and trying to save to buy a house at the moment so the bobber project seemed like the perfect project to keep me busy and hold me over,it was cheap and should be fairly cheap to build if i keep to my "Low Buck Build" M.O. :D

1Nimrod likes this.
  22. I love reading about these budget builds. Much more interesting (to me) than the high dollar builds. having a good time with mates around to help is the essence of the hobby, and these fun threads show the HAMB at its best. Great stuff, guys. You make me feel like I wish I was there.

1Nimrod likes this.
  23. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Hey man....glad to hear that things are going well!!! You're going to have fun with the bobber project! I've done a couple of XS 650 Yamaha based bobbers and 2 that started life as Iron head Sportsters and one Triumph. My latest is a '77 Iron head and a '70 BSA done up like an Steve McQueen desert sled! Cheap and fun and don't take up the space that a car does!! Also, glad to see that you're puttingthe old truck to work doing what it was intended to do...haul shit!!

24. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

Been a long time since Iv been around the threads here.. truck looks GREAT!! I got mine mostly together and am getting it ready for a bb454 now! Can't wait to see what you do with that bike!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
    1Nimrod likes this.
  25. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Anything new with my favorite C-10?? Or are you too busy dinking around with bobber builds now??!

26. oldskewl

oldskewl

Very interested in seeing more on this build.

27. LostHope

LostHope

Hey bugsy, Nothing going on lately with the 54 ford, the truck, or the bobber been busy i ended up moving into a house and out of the 5th wheel so that ate up some time moving and selling the 5th wheel and working 6 days a week most the time and mostly out of town so by the time i get home or have my only day off is spent either doing things that i cant get done at the home stead when at work or they are spent cleaning out my work truck and doing nothing in the recliner thinking about the stuff i should be getting done around the home stead :D...I drive them around a bit on my days off but besides that they sit all week while im working......House i moved into once again doesn't have a garage so winter time is here again. so i should be getting slow at construction but then weather will once again be a issue for working on cars but sooner or later i should get around to doing something...problem is that mechanically both rides are good to go and next things to do on the 54 and the truck are major ticket items like patch panels in some areas ,body work ,paint and interior which is where my skills and equipment is limited and is alot of money to fork out for both rides to get done ,also id like to find some better front fenders for the 54 before paint and then im back and forth on getting the top chopped which also keeps me from pulling the trigger on painting it....i do have the whole front end rebuild kit for the 54 but im having a hard time forcing to tear it apart not knowing if i can get it done with limited time due to work schedule and also the fact that then i wouldnt be able to drive the 54 until its put back together :cool:...the truck looks decent for a around town driver and it is still my work horse for hauling stuff so getting it perfect for paint and painting it really doesnt make sense to me since then i would be scared to use it for anything besides carshows so the truck will probably stay the way it is for some time to come appearance wise besides fixing the rust holes in the door corners ... im wainting to get rid of the headers and put the ram horns i have on and redo the exhaust out the back like i mentioned before , that and im on the look out for a cheap used york motor driven air compressor for the bag system and get rid of the electric air compressors, still need to add power booster to the dual master brake swap i did, besides that and a few minor things i think the truck is at a stand still since really theres nothing left to do to it that i haven't done already....ended up buying 2 ford rangers for commuter cars for the ol' lady and i ,so my out of town work trips were better on gas and could put the miles on instead of 66 truck, and a ranger for her, to get her out of the 73 vw bug shes over the bug and im try and sell it and were now on the look out for a classic car for her ...possibly a 49-52 dodge,plymouth, or chrysler (thats what we think will be ideal), or maybe a 63 or below comet like she had before so who knows i may have a new car thread floating around here sooner or later! Thanks for checking in on me hopes all well on your end and you have a good x-mas!

Thanks but lately its slow going..

1Nimrod likes this.
  28. LostHope

LostHope

Heres a older photo bugsy of the honda bobber when i was still getting some things mocked up its the last picture i took but i got some others stuff done to i since this....No idea what im doing really but still fun and i been making my own parts like the lisence plate bracket .hand formed the seat pan out of the sheet metal of a trans hump i had rewiring fuse block and hand control switchs from front of handle bars to under seat :rolleyes: ,still have to wack the exhaust off some ....what to you think so far of my first attempt of a jap bobber? LOL

[​IMG]

29. 4444Design

4444Design

Both the bike as well as your pu look pretty cool to me

lot's of details on your truck

keep those updates comin'

30. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

This makes me miss my 66 and that was my first vehicle. I still have the original grill nice chrome!! Mine was Jet Black and deep purple on the sides man was it sweet!!