Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 Ford Convertible Side Windows Problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brigrat, Apr 1, 2013.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Have a '49 Ford Convertible, even with window regulators removed none of the side glass will roll up or down without alot of effort. Seems the window frame and felt side channels fit to tight together. 2 things come to mind, either the last owner replaced the felt side channel with the wrong channel or the Chrome window frames are not compatible with that part. Did Ford offer Chrome, maybe Stainless window frames in all '49 Verts? Maybe a PO had them Chromed now they are to wide? If I need new channel who is the go to vendor for the '49 Ford parts? Thanks!
    <!-- / message -->

2. Special Ed

Special Ed

The window frames are stainless steel. They are simply polished, never chromed. The convertible and Vicky are different than any other 1949 Ford models, regarding side windows. Sounds like the incorrect felt channels were used, or your glass may be thicker than stock, too
    Dennis Carpenter sells the correct stuff.

3. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

If it's stainless it must not pure as it's magnetic!
    Can't be the glass thickness because the glass is incompassed in the window frames.
    I agree it has to be the wrong felt thickness. I will check out Carpenter, thanks.

4. I think you need to dig a little deeper. Have you inspected the actual pivot shaft on the hinge? They have a pinch bolt set up and are in a place where water can get to them. Rust could be your problem in the hinge. The tail, or back edge of the window glass frame just rides in a large C channel to guide the back edge of the glass. I don't see how that could cause any problems other than a bad rattle from the Felt being gone. I guess there is a chance of that C channel being full of dirt and Crap that could make it hard to move through it. Take a good look at the hinge and get some Oil on it, my guess is you'll fix the issue. See photo out of shop manual.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

5. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

6. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Again, I have everything removed from door except the window and wing window & fore and aft vertical felt runners, all regulators, winders, etc. are sitting on the bench and you still have to pull hard up or down to get the window to move. The window regulators all work great on the bench, no broken or stipped parts. The hole system is clean as in just rebuilt, re felted. It has to be the PO used the wrong felt, way to tight. Will call around tomorrow for more answers to which felt is best. Thanks!

7. Sorry, I thought you were working on the rear quarter windows for some reason. I bought everything for both my 50 Vert and 51 Vicky from Dennis Carpenter. I found it a bit tight at first but just sprayed a liberal amount of Silicone direct in the channel felt and things started working fine. That was 5 years ago, so far so good. I can tell you that the vent window can be moved all 4 directions to align with the door glass. The rear runner in the door is fixed in and out but tilts top and bottom. It's critical to get both the rear channel and the Vent glass channel in alignment with each other. It can take some time to get everything fit correct and the new Felt is not the same as what Henry used. By the way. I now have Specialty Power window units in the car and the windows travel pretty fast.
    The Wizzard

8. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Wizz, The problem is in all 4 windows because PO replaced all felt front and back probably with the wrong felt. I did the spray thing before I tore everything apart with no luck.
    Thanks for the tips will see what happens when the new felt/channel gets here.

9. mlewis114

mlewis114
    from Omaha, Ne

Any update after getting the channel from dennis carpenter? I am just starting into my windows and having about the same issue.

Thanks! Mike

10. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Sorry can't be much help, couldn't find the correct ones at that time so modified the old new ones. Good luck with your search........................

11. mr50s

mr50s

Hey brigrat,

You may be way ahead of me on this one, but I found that it was best to check the window fit in the new channel BEFORE I hooked up the window regulator linkage. That way, I could detect any binding in the window travel before blaming it on the regulator parts.

Also, I recommend Shoebox-Central in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma for parts and service needed on your Ford. Chris, the owner, has a wealth of information, service and parts to keep us Shoeboxers happy. Give him a call at (405) 259-9222 and see what I mean. Good luck!!

mr50s

12. I don't know about the '49, but on a 1930's Ford the convert side glass frames are mild steel with a paper thin covering of stainless steel. That would account for the magnet attraction.

Steve