Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moving to Houston

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODSWE, Jan 6, 2013.

1. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

If you live to the east or north of that location you will be driving aganist the common traffic flow. There are some nice places to live in that direction.
    To the north around Clay and Eldridge roads To the South there is pricier stuff along Memorial. I grew up in Houston. Living inside and driving out has advantages. Living outside the loops and driving in sucks big time. If you can keep your drive opposite or perpendicular of the usual traffic patterns you will be fine.
    Warning there is a lot of deed restricted stuff where folks won't let you work on a car or keep a car out at the house...beware.

2. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I know that area pretty well. That's actually very central to a lot of options.

If you go a little North on Brittmoore you'll cross 290 then be in Jersey Village. There is a variety of neighborhoods there; some are very $$$ and some not so much. It's also a good location as it is close to a lot of major roadways. If you live in JV you'll be close to work, too.

Or you could go South/SouthWest and there are many more neighborhoods. Or you could inside the Beltway just as well.

Your biggest challenge is finding a place with enough room for a garage, which I assume you will want. Houston is a bug, sprawled out city but no one seems to use the land wisely.

3. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

Finally got a new car!

[​IMG]

4. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

Go to Ma Goodsons in Tomball Texas. North west of Houston. The BEST Chicken Fried Steak in the whole world. Have one for me. Houston Rocks. Not as good as the late 70's and early 80'2 when Gilleys was open in Pasedena, TX. But still is a great place to live. You'll love it.
    Gary

6. twinturbo496

twinturbo496
    from Cypress

Where on Brittmoore?

7. Billy54

Billy54
    from Houston

Welcome to Houston!

8. Truckedup

Truckedup

HOTRODSWE, You were born in Sweden? 150 years ago the Swedes coming to to USA all lived in Minnesota :D Good luck!

This here Yankee thinks Texas is just fine...Texans have an upbeat arrogant optimism ...and women who are friendly..

9. bonesy

bonesy

Great looking '39.

I love your roadster's style, what are the plans for the coupe?

10. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

Nothing big, just slam it and maybe change gear ratio.

11. skooli

skooli

Well it looks as if you made it to Houston. What area did you settle on? I'm originally from Katy, but work sent me to Hawaii 17 years ago. I still come back to Katy once or twice a year, and I even keep my Mustang at my brother's house. I love it there and will probably move back at some point in time.

12. welcome to Texas....hope it works out for the family....

13. fordwrench

fordwrench

We moved to Houston in 76 and stayed a year. We lived on the SW side on Bellaire Blvd East of 59 Southwest Freeway and I worked at Sharpstown Dodge. I think its Ammco Body Shop or something now. The 2 thinks we had to get used to was the humidity and the roaches. Plenty of things to do. Don't lock your car, they broke into mine every night and cleaned out everything of value. Things may have changed for the better now. There are times I miss living there.

14. Billy54

Billy54
    from Houston

Thank You! Hit the nail on the head!

15. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Atlas-Copco perhaps? If so, I know the company you might be working for. Great people. Welcome to Texas.

as far as a place to live, given your work location, just about anywhere West of a North-South line running through Beltway 8 and you will be fine.

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If you don't mind telling us, who do you work for and what do you do ?

Interesting to know how you secured employment from Sweden before making the move.

17. FenixSpeedShop

FenixSpeedShop

HRS Welcome to Texas! Houston is a great city and like its been said there is good and bad to any city/state but for the most part it has changed for the better in the past 12 yrs. or so. (Apart from the couple of hurricanes). Sugarland is nice, but too many restrictions. I like Spring and the Woodlands. Good luck!

18. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Awesome!! Welcome also!!

19. Mad Mouse

Mad Mouse

Welcome to the USA in advance, we live in Houston as well as have a lake house in Austin (best of both worlds). Both cities offer exceptional hot rod activities. PM me if we can help in any way.
    Dennis and Kerrie.

20. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

We are in an apartment complex at Eldridge Pkwy, not ideal for Hot rodding but nice enough for my wife to like it. Only a small one car garage, might need to get something larger eventualy.

Its a Valve actuator company named Rotork, I use to work for the same in Sweden but got the opertunity to move to help develpo the business. Its on 1811 Brittmorre Rd

I'm the Operation Manager

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Great, good to hear. Good luck with the building of the business.

If I'm not mistaken I saw quite a few Rotork valve actuators at the power plant I worked at up here in Alberta.

Also up in Ft. McMurray at the Syncrude and Suncor plants in the oil sands where I spent a large part of my career.

Good luck there in Texas.

22. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

Anyone know any good wheel shop on the west side that could put my tires on my wide five wheels/

23. aldixie

aldixie

Good luck in Houston. I moved out here from the UK 8 years ago. Live in Deer Park. Got a job back in I.T. as soon as I got my green card, I'm now a US citizen. Don't know of a tire place out that way. I used one in Texas city recommended by RichardD.

Are you going to the Lonestar Roundup?
    Alex

24. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

You lucked out. Deer Park/ Pasadena is where all the my favorite car folks are from.