Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36-taildragger.....Made in Sweden

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Kenneth31coupe, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Today I got the rear crossmember welded and had the drivetrain mocked up in the frame. Boy , that is a big combo for a 36 frame requires some cutting in the x-member. Had to widen it 4 inches to accommodate the tranny. I had to cut a relief in the column aswell for the engine. Cut out a piece in center of the x-member then cut the flanges where it meets the rails front and rear. That made it possible to push the x-member outwards to the rails and widen it. Cut some small pie chaped pieces to put in the slots that was after the x-member was widend.Don´t like to weld such wide gaps.Will make a sturdy plate for the transmission mount wich will connect the x-members in bottom and compensate for the cutouts made tor the tranny and then there´s some engine mounts to be made and the welds will be grinded.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. This has all the ingredients for amazing.

3. Made some new engine mounts today. Instead of make a long mounting from the engine forward to the stock application in the crossmember I made some new plates and welded to the crossmember so that the mounting goes straight down from the engine to the plate. Thinking of maybe drill some holes in the mountings later on but I´m not sure.

Attached Files:

4. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

Excellent job!
    I like where your going with this!
    I have the same tail lights, hub caps on my '36 3window. Great minds think a like!
    I am in the process of installing my '39 Zepher bumpers now.

Keep us posted please.

Attached Files:

5. Thanks Rpmrex. Looks really good with those taillights and whith Zephyr bumpers it will be a killer. Post some pics when you´r done please. Kenneth

6. The human brain sure is a strange machine. Went to bed last night not pleased at all with how the brackets I welded to the crossmember was looking. Was thinking of it whole evening and couldnt come to any good conclusion at all.When I woke up this morning I knew exactly how to do it. So today I rebuild the brackets and now they looks like the way I want.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  7. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Sled is a friend of mine, I'll make sure I tell him aboat the thread, I'll know he will enjoy seeing the progress on the 36, p.s. I really like those bubble skirts.

8. AdrianS

AdrianS
    from California

I saw this one this morning. It was beautiful. Sorry the photography is not doing it justice (phone).

Attached Files:

9. 58Lincoln

58Lincoln

Good looking project!

Have fun with it.

10. Thanks Miguel. They are really,really nice and they are the ones that´s made for 35-36 cars too,not 37-40.

11. Well today didn´t happend very much. Fabricated the transmission mount and spend the rest of day planing how to design the other pieces to bolt the x-members together.

Attached Files:

12. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

looking great! you plan is well thought out and can't wait to see more progress. keep up the clean work.

13. streetrodder13

streetrodder13

This build is looking great! It seems my biggest obstacle is PATIENCE. Can't wait to see future pics.

14. Thanks Trev.I´m watching your build aswell, and it´s superb.

Thanks streetrodder.Will try do my very best to keep you satisfied.

15. Well today I made the center boxing plate for the x-member and some pieces to connect the x-member to the framerails since the originals was pretty bad damaged.

Attached Files:

16. j hansen

j hansen

How wonderful to see the design on your mounts,not many people would put
    down so much work on that.And perfect welds also.

17. Thanks a lot.

18. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

nice! very reminiscent of the factory v8-60 adapter mounts....

19. sled

sled

Ahhhh,great to see my 2nd bought Ford 36 3w finally takin shape...as i told you before Kenneth it could'nt go to a better guy and LOVE every step of this traditional build...it will be a killer car when done ,no doubt...
    Would love to see in the flesh next summer in Sweden...keep up the fantastic work and if you need anything else just lemme know,pleased to help..best Sled

20. sled

sled

Thanks Miguel..very much appreciate it..just saw this thread by chance and enjoyin it A LOT!!!!!..i cannot be more pleased to see this 36 in the best hands we can think of...another killer trad custom on the way...keep it up,Kenneth ..great work!

PS...are you plannin to chop it too??

21. Hi Sled.
    Thanks for all the kind words. I´m really excited finally got started on this build.For your question, yes it will be choped. I´m thinking of something like Fishers car. it´s so damn beautyfull. Thanks Kenneth.

PS. As I told you before. If you´r coming to Sweden just let me know. You´re very wellcome for a visit.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  22. Thanks Nate. I´m wanted them to look like an aftermarket bolt on rebuildkit.

23. sled

sled

Well,you could not have a better 36 to compare than Fisher's car..a masterpiece and it would gladly be my reference too...that thing is just timeless...its like Kevan Sledge's 40 Merc...after many years i really dont know how to top it...ah well,having a second one built,ah,ah

Lookin forward to see more cool news from your end,classy stuff here..Scandinavians have THE vision

best Sled

24. Yeah I know what you mean. There is nothing more to add to these cars without overdoing it. They are spot on. If I can only get the stance and flow of Fishers I´ll be very pleased.Not looking for a clone. I wants to have my touch on it too.

Thanks Kenneth.

25. Made an adapter for the mastercylinder and fit in the brake pedal today. There´s not much space left for the pedal between transmission and x-member.I think it will work this way but I´m a little unsure on the gaspedal since the tranny is far back in the frame it´s gonna be tight but I take that problem when the body is back on. If there´s anyone done the same swap and have pics of it I´ll be pleased if you will post them here.
    Thanks Kenneth.

Attached Files:

26. The frame is really starting to take shape,,nice work. HRP

54hotrodder likes this.
  27. Thanks HRP

28. Ok time for another update. Made some new body mounts today. Had some really bad and rusty originals for measurement and a blueprint from Wescott so I think I´m pretty close to stock.

Attached Files:

29. Nice work on the frame and mounts. 36 3W is one of my favorite cars, they just look so good as taildragger style. Keep up the good work.